$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33.9% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Tumblin-Dice» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Tumblin Dice Session Report from Spielbound Board Game Cafe in Omaha, NE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tumblin' Dice Session Report - Spielbound Board Game Cafe, Omaha NE (Friday, June 17th 2016)

Tumblin' Dice might be my favorite dexterity game. There's something strangely satisfying about flicking those dice down the giant tiered board and trying to get them to land just right - or destroying your opponent's careful effort by knocking their dice off the board, which is what my seven-year-old son, Luke, likes to do.

(Set up and ready to go)

In any event, Tumblin' dice was an easy pick for our monthly father/son demo at Spielbound, Omaha's local board game cafe. We set up right next to the door and figured we'd just play with anyone who walked in that didn't have anything else to do. And that's exactly what happened.

(Luke starting us off)

Up first to challenge us was Mike. He did all right at first for a beginner and put together some average rounds of 16 and 18 before figuring it all out and putting up a 33 in round 3 for a grand total of 67 points. Luke started out strong with rounds of 24 and 25, but got too excited, as 7-year-old are apt to do, in the third round and kept flicking his dice too hard, managing to score only 6 points for a grand total of 55. As for myself, a colossal first round of 44 where everything seemed to be coming up five and sixes for me carried me through the game. Combined with rounds of 20 and 22 in rounds 2 and 3, respectively, my grand total of 86 was easily enough for a win. Mike enjoyed the game a lot and vowed to get us next time.

(The board at the end of Game 1 Round 3)

Next up was Shelby. The three of us put one of the all-time most pathetic first rounds. It was truly sad with weak flicks staying on the first tier and errant dice careening off the board. Luke led with 10, I had to settle for 8, and Shelby only got 4. Shelby had great enthusiasm for the game but less luck and wasn't able to score any points at all in the second round. I rebounded okay with 16 points but Luke took a commanding lead with a 37-point round. In round 3, Shelby managed to get one decent dice for 12 points, I choked with only 6, and Luke continued his domination with 36 more points. That made the final score 16 for Shelby, 30 for me, and 83 for Luke. Despite the rough first game, Shelby was also enthused by the game and promised to practice so she could take us down at a future meeting.

(An ominous start to game #2)

Luke likes to end on a victory so he can declare himself the greatest ever, so we ended the demo there. I guess I need to work on humility and being a good sport more with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.