Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying the game for the first time....

1. The British and German strategy cards don't seem to actually DO anything apart from modify the Sea Lion roll. When reading the text relating to the cards they seem to give flavour text but no actual game advantage as expected. Therefore, why wouldn't you take a German card every time to aid the Sea Lion roll and allow a tactical event draw? I must admit I haven't read every event text so as not to spoil the game story but I have flicked through a few.

2. Down the left hand side of the invasion track there are numbers from -2 to +4, but I can't find any reference to these in the rules?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O' Ibb
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a long time since I played but IIRC:

1. There's some talk about that here but actually from the other point of view i.e. why would you draw a German card? The British cards give you the tactical event card but makes you skip the tactical event phase. German cards most likely increase the number of regiments available to them but then give you back the tactical event phase so you may play any tactical events held in your hand from previous turns.

2. Are they are the modifiers to be applied when trying to Deploy a Tactical Event card? (see 9.c. page 9 of rulebook - if my pdf copy is right). EDIT: In the Tactical Event Phase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo B-D
Germany
Bielefeld
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:

1. ... The British cards give you the tactical event card but makes you skip the tactical event phase. German cards most likely increase the number of regiments available to them but then give you back the tactical event phase so you may play any tactical events held in your hand from previous turns.

1. The British strategy event cards let you skip the tactical event phase. So, you didn't get any or can't deploy them.
If you choose a German strategy event card, you can draw a new tactical event card and can try to deploy the just drawn card or a card from previous turns.

2. Yes, that are modificators for tactical event card deployment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All they do is modify the Sea Lion roll, but that's a big something! Since the Germans win ties they will generally be able to rampage up the track, so taking British Strategy cards can spare you a lot of pain. German reinforcements make your day harder and harder, so staving them off for as long as possible can be a very good thing. I generally try to draw a few tactical cards early on, but outside of unusual circumstances don't take any of them in the latter half of the day.
Also worth considering, without getting too spoiler-y: some of the tactical cards are absolutely game-changers, while others are very weak or require a lot of jumping through hoops to use effectively.

And yes, the numbers down the side of the invasion track are modifiers to deploying tactical cards. Another reason not to take German strategy cards all the time -- as the invasion progresses, the odds of successful deployment of your tactical draws goes down fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As previously stated, this is my first game so I'm no expert. I found the flavour text confusing, because I was expecting them to MEAN something in game terms.

EDIT

OK, having read the rules again I see that I was applying the Sea Lion modifier the wrong way round, so that clears that up.

Still, I would appreciate advice on the relative benefits between Sea Lion modifier vs Tactical Events. It feels like keeping the invasion track as low as possible for as long as possible would be key, but I don't know how good the events are or how likely it is to get them in play.

Also, The flavour text of German/British cards. Is that all they are or do some give actual in-game benefits? If not, I guess they could be ignored after a few plays and just take the Sea Lion modifier from the card? I was thinking of putting a small pencil numer on those cards, but I probably won't do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo B-D
Germany
Bielefeld
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

Also, The flavour text of German/British cards. Is that all they are or do some give actual in-game benefits? If not, I guess they could be ignored after a few plays and just take the Sea Lion modifier from the card? I was thinking of putting a small pencil numer on those cards, but I probably won't do that.

For the strategy event cards you can ignore the text. The only intersting is the modifier.
I use the xls/pdf events sheets available here in the files area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.