The Animal Games» Forums » General

Subject: TECHNICAL EVENTS - prototype and suggested rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
Below are the event titles and descriptions for the Power events included in the Animal Games prototype along with all suggestions meeting the criteria as specified in the FAQ.

The flying and water provisions for the prototype events can be seen in the free Print n Play file under 'Files'.

Alternative Power events suggested by backers in the Kickstarter project comments will be listed here. Please make any event suggestions in the Kickstarter project comments tab first before mentioning them here to ensure they are listed under your name.

Please ‘Recommend’ the events you like by clicking the green “Thumbs-up” button next to the event's individual entry below the main list.

If your event suggestion is not listed here, either it did not fulfil the suggestion criteria (see project FAQ) or we may not have got round to posting it yet. Feel free to contact me on BGG or Kickstarter if it has been more than 3 days in case I have missed something.

Technical events

1) Long jump - Animals run up and jump as far as possible in to an appropriate-size sandpit. The event selector can decide whether scoring is based on the relative distance (distance divided by the animal's longest dimension) or the absolute distance jumped.

2) High jump - Animals run up and jump as high as they can, with the jump height measured by subsequent analysis of a video recording. The event selector can decide whether the scoring is based on the relative height (height jumped divided by animal's longest dmension) or the absolute height jumped.

3) 10m diving - Animals dive from a 10m diving board in to an appropriately-sized pool. They are scored by expert human judges based on technical difficulty and execution

4) Catapult - Animals are each fired from a catapult with the same force over a lake and they are ranked by the distance they are fired

5) Digging A Hole - Animals must dig a hole one metre deep in damp English soil as quickly as possible

6) Distance moved by player - Animals are sedated and must be moved as far as possible in thirty seconds by their human players

7) Dodgeball - Animals all start within a marked square with sides of length five times the longest dimension of all competing animals. The human players stand around the edge and throw tennis balls at the other players' animals, with animals leaving the square when hit.

8) Hide and seek - Animals are all based inside a large stately home. Human players take it in turns to seek once each, with opposing animals having 15 minutes to find a hiding place. The total time avoiding detection by all seekers is scored.

9) Increasing gradient - Animals are lined up on a large flat surface, suspended over a lake. The surface tips up at a speed of 1 degree per second. Animals must hold on as long as possible (to a maximum of 360 secs). The event selector can choose of what material the playing surface is made.

10) Tree climbing - Animals must climb a 50-metre-tall English fir tree as quickly as possible

See below for individual event entries (please 'quote' these when commenting on them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
TECHNICAL EVENT 1

Long jump - Animals run up and jump as far as possible in to an appropriate-size sandpit. The event selector can decide whether scoring is based on the relative distance (distance divided by the animal's longest dimension) or the absolute distance jumped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
TECHNICAL EVENT 2

High jump - Animals run up and jump as high as they can, with the jump height measured by subsequent analysis of a video recording. The event selector can decide whether the scoring is based on the relative height (height jumped divided by animal's longest dmension) or the absolute height jumped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
TECHNICAL EVENT 3

10m diving - Animals dive from a 10m diving board in to an appropriately-sized pool. They are scored by expert human judges based on technical difficulty and execution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
TECHNICAL EVENT 4

Catapult - Animals are each fired from a catapult with the same force over a lake and they are ranked by the distance they are fired
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
TECHNICAL EVENT 5

Digging A Hole - Animals must dig a hole one metre deep in damp English soil as quickly as possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
TECHNICAL EVENT 6

Distance moved by player - Animals are sedated and must be moved as far as possible in thirty seconds by their human players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
TECHNICAL EVENT 7

Dodgeball - Animals all start within a marked square with sides of length five times the longest dimension of all competing animals. The human players stand around the edge and throw tennis balls at the other players' animals, with animals leaving the square when hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
TECHNICAL EVENT 8

Hide and seek - Animals are all based inside a large stately home. Human players take it in turns to seek once each, with opposing animals having 15 minutes to find a hiding place. The total time avoiding detection by all seekers is scored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
TECHNICAL EVENT 9

Increasing gradient - Animals are lined up on a large flat surface, suspended over a lake. The surface tips up at a speed of 1 degree per second. Animals must hold on as long as possible (to a maximum of 360 secs). The event selector can choose of what material the playing surface is made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
TECHNICAL EVENT 10

Tree climbing - Animals must climb a 50-metre-tall English fir tree as quickly as possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_teece_ wrote:
4) Catapult - Animals are each fired from a catapult with the same force over a lake and they are ranked by the distance they are fired

This is horrible. Just horrible. I feel sad for those animals. Not sure about this at all.

What about if the animals had to build the catapult first?

Quote:
5) Digging A Hole - Animals must dig a hole one metre deep in damp English soil as quickly as possible

Ah...I didn't notice this was under here when I suggested a digging event earlier. Definitely a keeper, but I don't think you need to specify that it is english soil.

Quote:
6) Distance moved by player - Animals are sedated and must be moved as far as possible in thirty seconds by their human players

Amusing. Both this and the Catapult one are largely to help out the smaller animals I see.

What about having one animal find and carry back an unconscious member of it's own species? You could call it "Search and Rescue"?

Quote:
7) Dodgeball - Animals all start within a marked square with sides of length five times the longest dimension of all competing animals. The human players stand around the edge and throw tennis balls at the other players' animals, with animals leaving the square when hit.

Good. Although I almost feel like this should go under speed.

Quote:
8) Hide and seek - Animals are all based inside a large stately home. Human players take it in turns to seek once each, with opposing animals having 15 minutes to find a hiding place. The total time avoiding detection by all seekers is scored.

Such a cool event. Love it.

Quote:
9) Increasing gradient - Animals are lined up on a large flat surface, suspended over a lake. The surface tips up at a speed of 1 degree per second. Animals must hold on as long as possible (to a maximum of 360 secs). The event selector can choose of what material the playing surface is made.

I like the idea, but again feel it is too far removed from reality. What about just a 'rock-climbing' event (no flying allowed).

Quote:
10) Tree climbing - Animals must climb a 50-metre-tall English fir tree as quickly as possible.

Similar to rock climbing that I just suggested, not sure if both are required.

How about a tree-felling event?

Other technical events I'd like to see ;
- something to test fine motor skills such as classic games Jenga or Operation (or something similar if you're not allowed to use those).
- painting
- orienteering
- gymnastics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
The catapult isn't meant to be dangerous for the animals (in fact that's one of the criteria for eligible events)

Perhaps it should be in to a crash mat rather than a lake... It's interesting because I'd animals are too small (eg a bee) they won't go far at all so you want a small animal but not too small.

It is important to have some events that benefit small animals as you've implied.

With the gradient one, I just love the comedy image of seeing a dolphin or any animal just reach the point where the friction can't hold them and they fall off! Makes me chuckle. It is a bit bizarre though you're right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_teece_ wrote:

With the gradient one, I just love the comedy image of seeing a dolphin or any animal just reach the point where the friction can't hold them and they fall off! Makes me chuckle. It is a bit bizarre though you're right.

I like the image, I'm just wondering if we can come up with a real world scenario or sport that can give the same image. What's something that involves Balancing on something?... A raft? Sailing perhaps? White water rafting?
Or riding a mechanical bull? Custom sized to the animal :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
Mechanical Bull could be pretty funny. It's the same sort of skill and easily recognisable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.