Subject: What do you think about the scenarios and the variety? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
What do you think about the scenarios and the variety? For a try, I clicked through a map, to see how it forms some kind of a shape. I marked that I have the 1E base game and CoW, but I haven't seen any tiles from that.

So I ask those, who tried more than a few times the app, do you see enough variety? Can you spot 1E tile. Does those tiles make a difference, or just the same shape of room?

Of course I didn't want to spoil the game for myself, so I don't know, but have you noticed any big changes in a story after a few try?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion wrote:
So I ask those, who tried more than a few times the app, do you see enough variety? Can you spot 1E tile. Does those tiles make a difference, or just the same shape of room?
I only did a quick check, but I can confirm that the app has used 1e tiles after enabling my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried starting the first scenario several times and I can confirm that 1st Edition tiles are used sometimes, and that map setup changes and draws from those tiles.

What I have also noticed is that the search tokens, NPCs and some events stay the same, even if on different tiles (at least in the first scenario), so the variety is merely cosmetic it seems. Good news for those who don´t have the 1st ed tiles. Might be possible to substitute with similar tile from 2nd Ed so you can add the 1st ed stuff in the app and play the investigators/monsters with proxy figures.

The only thing I have noticed so far that might change a bit if you own 1st edition Call of the Wild is that you add four NPCs to the mix, which I guess will have their own dialogue options and might change the story a bit. Or maybe not, who knows.

So in the end, seems to me that the 1st Edition adds cosmetic variety to the map layouts, some more investigators to play with and more monster variety, but the important stuff (story and investigation procedures of each scenario) stays the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Acererak wrote:

So in the end, seems to me that the 1st Edition adds cosmetic variety to the map layouts, some more investigators to play with and more monster variety, but the important stuff (story and investigation procedures of each scenario) stays the same.

That sounds bad. Even the 1E scenarios had 3 main objectives. I wonder how many main objectives are here? It would be nice to be able to change, which main objective you want to play. What if the random generator gives you almost the same story again, that is boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion wrote:
Acererak wrote:

That sounds bad. Even the 1E scenarios had 3 main objectives. I wonder how many main objectives are here? It would be nice to be able to change, which main objective you want to play. What if the random generator gives you almost the same story again, that is boring.

I wouldn't say it is bad. And I didn't expect three objectives. Having designed a custom scenario for 1E myself, laying out a board with 3 objectives that was the same and had the same events was not easy while making narrative sense. Room tiles should also affect the mythos triggers I would think as in the old game only certain things could trigger in a hallway/stairs/attic etc. No verification for this, but I imagine it would make a difference when the app generates mythos effects at the end of the investigator turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four is enough to be going on with but, like 1st edition before it, I suspect I will want more in the not too distant future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion wrote:
Acererak wrote:

I have run the first scenario to the end twice to see how different it would be. Different layout but the npcs and search tokens were the same. The objective was also ultimately the same although the endgame monsters were different on my second playthrough. I wanted to try it a third time but decided against it to preserve some sort of surprise element when I run this introductory scenario for my group. And I stayed away from the other ones except to go through the introduction for the same reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets not forget we are making all assumptions over the very first introductory and simplest scenario anyway.

I have to believe that at least there is some variety in the final solution to the cases ala 1st Edition, because if that´s not the case and the only changes from run to run are the placement and type of monsters and tiles, then Miss Replayability is pretty much dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Lets not forget we are making all assumptions over the very first introductory and simplest scenario anyway.

I have to believe that at least there is some variety in the final solution to the cases ala 1st Edition, because if that´s not the case and the only changes from run to run are the placement and type of monsters and tiles, then Miss Replayability is pretty much dead.

They didn't really promise alternate objectives to each scenario. I wouldn't expect anything other than varying tiles and monsters (objectives seem to slightly alter if you go insane). Altering the objective, if the story is as heavily built as it seems to be, would be very odd and disjointed. At that point, you may as well make it a different scenario altogether.

I don't expect much to change besides WHERE to find the clues, the monsters, and the mythos you enounter. That being said, these scenarios actually look much much better drawn in the story department than any of the 1E scenarios. I mean, there are NPC's with dialogue options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are different endings: you don't always win the game, but it doesn't mean you lose the game if you don't win. Scenarios may have a neutral outcome (got it for Escape from Innsmouth for instance). And these different endings are linked to specific triggers to be met in-game, or not. It's not like having different objectives, but it's interesting not to have every time the same outcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
soakman wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are different endings: you don't always win the game, but it doesn't mean you lose the game if you don't win. Scenarios may have a neutral outcome (got it for Escape from Innsmouth for instance). And these different endings are linked to specific triggers to be met in-game, or not. It's not like having different objectives, but it's interesting not to have every time the same outcome
Julia, while this will be a great info for some, it's a spoiler.
I was only curious about the speculation, I wasn't prepared for unmarked spoilers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
I was only curious about the speculation, I wasn't prepared for unmarked spoilers.

I wouldn't call this exactly a spoiler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
stadi wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

Me neither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
stadi wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

Agreed. Some of the scenarios have multiple different endings. What they are is up to you to discover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
stadi wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

Agreed. Some of the scenarios have multiple different endings. What they are is up to you to discover.
I have guessed myself there would be different endings.
But I would be pleasantly surprised to discover that a neutral ending is possible, but now the surprise is gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
But I would be pleasantly surprised to discover that a neutral ending is possible, but now the surprise is gone.

You really should stop reading topics with names containing the word "scenario". goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:

Sorry, didn't want to ruin your fun. But since everyone was debating on the lack of multiple objective, I thought we were already talking about the thing. I edited my previous post, and I'll be more careful in the future. Still, half of these threads can be considered spoilers, from the list of monsters arriving to how the app works and so on.

In any case, apologies if I ruined some fun for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope there are more shorter scenarios in the future. I am literally never going to play that scenario that takes 4 hours or more. I envy those of you who have that kind of free time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can save progress in the app and do it across several sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellicon wrote:

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Hellicon wrote:

That is good, although I need my dining table for other purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bastion wrote:
Hellicon wrote:

Use the iPad to take a picture of the set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But since the app can save your progress, you can tear down your map and rebuild during the next session since the app will keep track of everything with the exception of the locations of your investigators and active monsters (but a post-it note can take care of that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Bastion wrote:
Hellicon wrote:

There are points in that scenario where it literally tells you to "clear the board".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:

There are points in that scenario where it literally tells you to "clear the board".

Apparently they worked my cat into the design process, so now he can claim he was just playing along as intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.