Subject: Conversion kit question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Holt
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Based on what I've read so far looks like you have to buy the second edition to get the conversion kit.

Anybody know if it will be sold separately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone hold me back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
(No, it won't be sold separately. At least, there's no indication so far that it will be. Plus, it would be useless anyway.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a little confused here. What would be the point of buying the conversion kit and not buying the 2nd edition base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The conversion cost is not usable unless you have the second edition game. The kit allows you to use first edition content in the second edition, it does not allow you to play second edition using a first edition game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
As far as he read, probably for playing 1st Edition with the app. To this endeavour I wish the best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
I am a little confused here. What would be the point of buying the conversion kit and not buying the 2nd edition base game?

People are treating it like the War of the Rings second edition conversion kit which converts a first edition game into a second edition game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Stupid question - why would you want the conversion kit, if you don't plan on purchasing the second edition?

I mean, I can understand wanting to play with the First Edition parts without wanting to purchase the whole game, but the other way around???

Edit:
Ah, because someone could perceive this as an option to play the App scenarios with the content of the First Edition.
Nice try, mate, but no cigar. The items will be different, the mechanisms will not fit, etc. The cards of your first edition simply DO NOT FIT the App without some reworking and retweaking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Stupid question - why would you want the conversion kit, if you don't plan on purchasing the second edition?

If you purchase the MoM conversion kit without the second edition game, it will convert your 1st edition game pieces into a meat and cheese platter. I'd hope the reasons for wanting that would be obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess they're inviting confusion by officially calling it a "Conversion Kit".

Admittedly, it "converts" your monsters/investigators by supplying updated cards/counters to work with the 2nd Edition game. The tiles don't really need any converting as such to be used by the app.

But it doesn't "convert" a 1st Edition game into a playable 2nd Edition game, which many people would assume if they don't read any of the previews/articles/threads that have discussed it to death.

I guess a better term may have been "1st Edition Import Kit" or something along those lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
I guess they're inviting confusion by officially calling it a "Conversion Kit".
(...)
I guess a better term may have been "1st Edition Import Kit" or something along those lines.
Nice one. I had a problem with finding a less ambiguous name for the kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I get that people are confused over the idea it might "convert" your 1st edition in to 2nd edition, but you'd think the fact that it was only available when you bought 2nd edition might clue them into the fact that that is clearly not the case...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean, you haven't been in these fora for very long, now, have you?
Otherwise your faith in logical thinking (or self-thinking) people would have shattered into a million pieces already...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
I get that people are confused over the idea it might "convert" your 1st edition in to 2nd edition, but you'd think the fact that it was only available when you bought 2nd edition might clue them into the fact that that is clearly not the case...

I think the problem is that some games in the past have come out with new editions, and a "Conversion Kit" or similar has been released that would do exactly what people are asking (update the entire game so that it is roughly equivalent to buying the new edition). That kind of thing, when it happens, is a nice gesture to owners of the prior edition, and so I can understand why many people are assuming that is the case here, if they haven't yet read much about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Holt
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
In all fairness guys I haven't completely read everything into this release. When I saw conversion I assumed the kit would be sufficient to convert 1st edition without buyimg the complete 2nd edition. However since looking more into The 2nd edition just now I can see the value in it given the fact that there's all new stories, tiles etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the FF pdf. Couldn't be clearer.

The contents of this Conversion Kit are designed to
integrate the investigator figures, monster figures, and
map tiles from first edition products into the second
edition of Mansions of Madness.

If you own any first edition products, players can play
the investigators from those products and the monsters
and map tiles from those products can be used by the
app when generating maps or spawning monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kimeys wrote:
From the FF pdf. Couldn't be clearer.

The contents of this Conversion Kit are designed to
integrate the investigator figures, monster figures, and
map tiles from first edition products into the second
edition of Mansions of Madness.

If you own any first edition products, players can play
the investigators from those products and the monsters
and map tiles from those products can be used by the
app when generating maps or spawning monsters.

Perhaps 'Integration Kit' then whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here in the States, 'integration' is a dirty word. Thus despite legally being able to use 1st edition figures in the 2nd edition, after November, their use will likely be banned by executive order until "we can figure out what in the hell is going on." At the very least, all 1st edition figures will be tracked - especially if they originated from a place of known terror. But seriously, how many Mi-gos originate from a place not overwrought with terror? Time to face the facts, folks. We're going to have to get tough. It's going to be huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Pudsy wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

I think the problem is that some games in the past have come out with new editions, and a "Conversion Kit" or similar has been released that would do exactly what people are asking (update the entire game so that it is roughly equivalent to buying the new edition). That kind of thing, when it happens, is a nice gesture to owners of the prior edition, and so I can understand why many people are assuming that is the case here, if they haven't yet read much about the game.

You're totally right, but then if you thought it was that, then read it was included in the 2E box, wouldn't go "but then I'd have two copies of the game?" and surely reconsider what you were thinking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
You're totally right, but then if you thought it was that, then read it was included in the 2E box, wouldn't go "but then I'd have two copies of the game?" and surely reconsider what you were thinking?

Yeah, hopefully the first scenario doesn't require too many deductive powers then

But I'd tend to forgive the volume of repeat questions since the game is drawing a lot of people & it's inevitable some will hit the forums with a Q, midway between seeing the words "Conversion Kit included" and thinking logically.

No such thing as a stupid question, and all that... just unfortunate choice using "Conversion Kit".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.