Subject: Noob - Help needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
OK, so I've had a really weird history with this game. I've owned it since Wave 1 and own the following:

- Core Set x1
- Rogues and Villains x1

- VSD x1
- GSD x1
- ISD x1
- Raider x1
- Imp Fighters x2

- Corvette x2
- Neb x2
- Mark II x1
- Home One x1
- MC30c x1
- Reb Fighters x2

So I've got plenty of stuff to build with etc. I love, love, love the system, the theme, the idea of piloting these huge epic fleets, the parallel systems of ships and squadrons etc etc and yet I've played the game like <5 times and haven't played since Dec 2015...In that time I've played X-Wing 48 times and Imperial Assault 16 times - so what gives?

I play and collect all of X-Wing and Imperial Assault - so I'm not averse to complicated rules systems with lots of moving parts and I'm used to FFG games, tokens, minis, cards etc.

At this point I'm just totally intimidated by the huge amount of cards and moving pieces that I own for Armada and don't really know where to start. I read the cards and I kind of get what they do, but can't really parse them in being able to know what's good or bad or what works with what. Similarly, with ship cards I look at the dice loadouts and the speed/movement charts and I draw a blank - it's not like looking at an X-wing dial and being like 'oh ok so it has all these greens and can do a S-loop'.

I want to keep up with releases and not fall behind and we've got waves 3 and 4 coming, and the campaign box, but if I haven't played in 8 months is there any point? I've painted all the squadrons too so I feel invested.

Can anyone give me some good 400 point starter lists with objectives for both Rebels and Imps to enable me to just get playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Captain
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

One suggestion is to look at past Armada regional tournaments and see what lists were used. Google is your friend in this research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation? Visit Armada Tactics or a similar site and read a recent after-action report of a tournament. You could copy the finalist fleet builds, or better yet, try to design a fleet to counter the winners. This way you have a good idea of your own fleet strategy (even if it is a bad strategy*) and you know what to improve and refine for the next engagement.

*I had a lot of fun trying to build an anti-Clonisher fleet using Neb-B's:

Commander: General Rieekan

Assault Objective: Opening Salvo
Defense Objective: Fire Lanes
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

Nebulon-B Support Refit (51 points)
- Intel Officer ( 7 points)
- Slaved Turrets ( 6 points)
= 64 total ship cost

Nebulon-B Support Refit (51 points)
- Salvation ( 7 points)
- Intel Officer ( 7 points)
- Turbolaser Reroute Circuits ( 7 points)
= 72 total ship cost

[ flagship ] MC30c Scout Frigate (69 points)
- General Rieekan ( 30 points)
- Admonition ( 8 points)
- Walex Blissex ( 5 points)
- Assault Proton Torpedoes ( 5 points)
= 117 total ship cost

MC30c Scout Frigate (69 points)
- Lando Callriassian ( 4 points)
- Assault Proton Torpedoes ( 5 points)
= 78 total ship cost

6 A-Wing Squadrons ( 66 points)

Card view link: http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/view_list.php?token...

Fleet created with Armada Warlords: http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few thoughts, 'cuz I'm pretty much where you are with this.

* Games like this and sales approaches like this are *designed* to make you feel like you're falling behind, so that you keeping buying. At some very important level, it's not you, it's them. At least Armada has been relatively slow to come out, which helps a little, but I myself, contrary to good sense, have been scrambling around getting two-of-everything for Wave 2 finally so that I can . . . turn around and get Waves 3 and 4.

* Keeping up is certainly important at a "competitive" level, but it's less so, obviously, if you just want to play. I'd guess that the two Wave 3 ships will change things more than the two Wave 4 ships because they should allow for lower-cost squad activations, so if I were "keeping up" on a limited budget, I'd probably start there.

* I'd suggest trying lists that are ship and maybe squadron heavy and card light. Seems like you've got enough stuff to push some pieces around without needing too many upgrade cards simply to round out points. With more familiarity, more cards can be added in as needed, but it has seemed to me, as an observer of the meta, that low-card lists can be genuinely viable and are not just training wheels.

* I think looking at published lists will probably point to some of the common interactions, and many of them are not particularly subtle. I'd just think about an admiral or a theme I'd want to build around and just look for a few cards in support of that.

* I've gotten some mileage out of Armada Tactics (something that's already been suggested). They have some good "starter" articles on the basic functions/purposes of the ships, for example, that helped me get a better sense of possible roles.

* Playing around with the fleet-building sites (I've typically used Fab's, but Warlords I find somewhat easier to manipulate for exploratory purposes) can be helpful if only because you can just see the upgrade cards and such without having to sort through a bunch of decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Jalife
Mexico
flag msg tools
If you don't really care about competition and just want to make lists start with which ships you want to fly, pick 2 or 3 and start adding those points.

Do the same with squadrons and decide if you want generic squadrons or ace pilots.

With these 2 figured out, you'll have 250-300 points, at least, which leaves less space for making the decision on cards. Choose a general and then go from there picking cards for the ships, try not to put all the modifications on one ship, spread these out.

This is my method. I end up playing some of the same ships more than others (I have 1 of each), but it's normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ojalife wrote:
If you don't really care about competition and just want to make lists start with which ships you want to fly, pick 2 or 3 and start adding those points.

Do the same with squadrons and decide if you want generic squadrons or ace pilots.

With these 2 figured out, you'll have 250-300 points, at least, which leaves less space for making the decision on cards. Choose a general and then go from there picking cards for the ships, try not to put all the modifications on one ship, spread these out.

This is my method. I end up playing some of the same ships more than others (I have 1 of each), but it's normal.

I think the above is pretty good advice.

Step 1 - Try to look for a theme or create a plan on how you plan to use your list and then go for it.

Step 2 - Play against others to see how it fares

Step 3 - Refine your list

Step 4 - Go to Step #2

If you want to go to tournaments to win, either repeat those steps for a few dozen times, or get suggestions here like you have and from other tournament lists.

I like trying lists to max out in certain areas to see how it goes. I then think of how other ships would be able to complement my original list and refine it to not be so one-dimensional, while still keeping with a certain theme (or ditch it as a lost cause).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.