Popular Tags: [View All]
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I backed The Pursuit of Happiness. I am not sure why but I also added on the premium card sleeve option. I guess because I thought the price was decent and I have never sleeved a game...EVER.

When the game arrived after I did a component check to make sure everything was in the box I started the process of placing cards into sleeves.

Even though I really struggled shuffling the larger decks like the Items/Activities and the Projects, I have to admit I really liked the sleeves. So now I am thinking how many of my games should I sleeve?

What type of sleeves are the best? How much money is this going to cost me?

I'm not sure I like where this is headed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"...there's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
mbmbmbmbmb
Decent sleeves are expensive, they really add up.

These days I try to sleeve only the best/most expensive games I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Sleeved cards are actually easier to shuffle. Take half the deck and slide the corners into the sides of the other half, push together, repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From someone who sleeves some of her games, but not most:

If you just want to protect your cards, penny sleeves are fine. If one gets damaged or torn or dirty, trash it and put on a new one. These will keep your cards unmarked and let you do the nifty sleeve side-shuffle that people like; they may or may not make your game look nicer.

If you want sleeves to make your cards feel sturdier and glossier, you'll be paying more like ten cents a sleeve, which is often close to the price of the game itself. Probably you can find better prices by hunting, but then you're spending time hunting. I would not recommend this except for prized games, but there are totally people out there who use premium sleeves for everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
Best advice: Don't do it!

Realistic advice: Sleeve what you feel will get a lot of play, but don't go overboard. For most games I prefer the standard Mayday sleeves. They are relatively cheap and don't make the stacks of cards too unwieldy.

As for how much it will end up costing you--
1. There are always way more cards than you think there are.
2. You will constantly be buying sleeves because you never have the size you need. Stupid Chimera sleevesyuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I sleeve everything and I'm always surprised by the "I sleeve what is the most played" strategy: you know in advance what won't be played a lot ?

I started with Mayday slim sleeves, then used premium ones but I abandon them because of the disparity in sizes.

Now, I use Arcane Tinmen sleeves and yes it adds quite a lot but the quality is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably won't feel the need to sleeve absolutely everything. The most common reasons to sleeve:

Deck-builders that get shuffled a lot during a single game.
Rare/OOP games that would be prohibitively expensive or impossible to replace.
Premium sleeves for flimsy cardstock to make it sturdy.
Favorite games you take to public meetups that you don't want to get dirty.

Sometimes I find I've sleeved a game that I haven't played in a really long time and I'm able to reclaim those sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
I sleeve everything I can as soon as I get it. My first thought is to avoid using kickstarter sleeves. Often they are kickstarter specific(look at the ones for the Xenoshyft kickstarter), and if they break getting replacements is a pain.

Despite some people disliking them I mostly use Mayday sleeves. They are cheap and abundant. Yes some will break, but I just keep extras in the bottom of the box for those occasions. At miniaturemarket they are quite affordable.

I also sleeve cards based on what their use is. I usually put penny sleeves on things like player aid cards, standard sleeves on mid use cards and premium on heavy use cards.

For me it's worth it for keeping my games intact and keeping the sell/trade/giveaway value high. If you ever sell or trade, sleeves can add to the value as well. Sleeves can also be reclaimed and reused if needed. By no means are they a necessity, but they make people like myself feel better about using my games in all situations.

I cannot comment on the best sleeves, but they will be quite pricey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All my games that are primarily card games I sleeve as soon as possible, since they'll be shuffled often. Sleeves save on the wear caused from shuffling, and they just make shuffling easier! Other games that have less cards I'll sometimes sleeve just to protect them, and usually there isn't many to sleeve.

Sleeves can get expensive, but I feel they give extended life to the games. If you know you're going to sleeve many games, but in bulk, it's much cheaper.

Worst part about sleeving cards, is getting them back in the box! The dangerous road of sleeving merges onto the dangerous highway of making custom box inserts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am probably going to sleeve my copy of Nations. It's very popular in my group and we have 43 plays of it.

I am leaning towards using the Ultra-Pro sleeves 82661

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lockard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never sleeve cards, but I wish there was something out there to stop card-benders in their tracks! Urgh! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
homtchr2013 wrote:
I never sleeve cards, but I wish there was something out there to stop card-benders in their tracks! Urgh! cry

"Sleeve" all of your cards in these:
http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=1373

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
homtchr2013 wrote:
I never sleeve cards, but I wish there was something out there to stop card-benders in their tracks! Urgh! :cry:

:laugh:

Are those better than these? http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=1122

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davin Nisser
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Braffe wrote:
Worst part about sleeving cards, is getting them back in the box! The dangerous road of sleeving merges onto the dangerous highway of making custom box inserts!

This!

I prefer KMC perfect fit for standard cards. They are thinner, don't overhand the top of the card as much and only cost about $.03 if you buy them by the 1000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget this list for your sleeving needs: Card Sleeve Sizes for Games

And I've gone through the sleeving hell. Nowdays, I ask myself:
1. Will the cards still fit in the box if I sleeve somehow? (Sleeves add 'height' to a deck!)
2. How much would it cost to just replace the cards (e.g. Sentinels of the Multiverse will charge me $5 for most replacement decks)
3. Does marking of the cards matter as long as they are evenly marked? (Should I sleeve Dominion's money cards since I can't tell a Copper vs. Gold is on top? How about the One Night Werewolf cards? )
4. How much handling do the cards get in play? (Often shuffled vs. event cards revealed one per turn)
4. How expensive/rare is the game that I can risk devaluation? (Defenders of the Realm!)

I also have found Dragonshield sleeves to be both very expensive, and worth it. I used to use Ultrapro but like the other sleeve's feel, though I love the Ultrapro artwork sleeves for style points in blinging out my games. Mayday and FFG have the non-standard sized sleeves that are a necessity these days with the design choices being made. I shop all four, with the occasion penny-sleeve purchase (though I have a stack of such sleeves I removed from games after I got tired of how sloppy the cards felt and moved).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
homtchr2013 wrote:

laugh

Don't laugh too hard! I actually sleeve the main character hero and villain cards from Sentinels of the Multiverse in those!

I found the ones with both blue border trim which I use for heroes, red border for villains and clear for the supplemental cards (as for the Sentinels). This makes it easy for me to put those into their own compartment and just hand them to the group, as identifying the blue hero cards out of the stack is simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
gen1400 wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:
homtchr2013 wrote:

laugh

Are those better than these? http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=1122

The product I originally linked is a hard plstic protector "sleeve", rather than a sleeve. They're thick and rigid. Sleeving a deck of cards in them would make it like 6" tall.

It would prevent card curlers, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sleeve everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to sleeve everything, but it is because I have kids ranging from 2 to 13 years old. For the most part, they are good and know I don't want them to touch the games with grubby hands, so they usually wash and dry their hands prior to playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also if you decide to sell the game down the road then your game is in better shape. Unless you created a custom insert like me which is more or less an equal exchange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly I sleeve all.
But and its a big but when I look at what I've spent on sleeves I wish I'd just bought more of the games I want. Sleeving is almost as much an addiction as the buying of the collection and realistically I will never sell the games anyway so I'm not increasing any resale value for me. Also be careful as previous posters are saying once you sleeve you enter a whole new problem of storing said sleeved cards as I would say they triple in volume once sleeved decently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only sleeved games I own are games that I've traded for that come sleeved. If I get a game to the table so much that it gets wrecked, it's been worth it. The cost of sleeving everything compared to the cost of 'maybe' replacing a game or two in my lifetime makes it obvious to me that I don't need to slave my games.

YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will always be having to buy more packs and have a random amount of sleeves left over because no game comes with cards in increments of 50's and 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find sleeving fun lol

I sleeve everything. What it isvdepenfs if I go penny or premium.

Fave suppliers are Ultra Pro and Mayday.
Both excellent, though Mayday slightly cheaper. If I didnt getva load of ultra pros in a trade to start with, id probably be fully mayday.

Some games, sleeve cards in A4 ultra pro 9 card binder pockets for the collection and have art sleeves for decks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Sleeve everything. I literally just bought a 100x100 box of penny sleeves. Will probably last me a lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.