Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico Ricco'
Italy
Modena
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are facing a funny situation.
AFA, after securing Africa and with USA in war, is considering that it is making more victory point to declare war to minor (example Ireland), invading it without losses, and stay far from Europe, in order to avoid counterattack from Germany and so loosing the victory point from NO CASUALITIES.

We consider that if you declare war a minor, it is immediately Axis controlled and so if you liberate, you can take the point for NO Casualities.

If you consider the 3 vichy area, ireland, central america, cuba, paraguay and the possibility of Portugal and Norway, you have 9 potential victory point.

And if you play try to keep USA out of war and so not sharing this point pool until turn 8, you are able to have at least 5 point free of charge.

Are we missing something?

Thank you for the comments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Enrico,

It sounds like you are reading the rules correctly. Yes, the AFA could attack minor countries and gain the No Casualties victory point award a number of times while the USA is neutral. This would very likely delay the USA entry into the war.

Whether or not this is a wise strategy is a good question :-). As with all strategy questions, it depends on many other factors in the game, so I will not comment. Good luck!

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Ricco'
Italy
Modena
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave,
thank you for the feedback.
I'm still feeling that we have to avoid that USA declare war to Cuba and Central america for example, having free of charge 2 VP.

I suggest:
Allied declaration of war in America are not allowed except for Monroe doctrine Axis trade agreement
Ireland allied declaration of war is allowed only if UK is axis invaded.

what do you think?

I think that it is more WW2 feeling.

BR

Enrico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Enrico,

What you have proposed is reasonable, and you should feel free to try it.

However, as a designer, I am not convinced it is necessary. There is an "opportunity cost" to the USA doing what you suggest. When the AFA/USA pick on helpless minor countries, they are (at least to some degree) letting the Axis major powers be free to do what they want. That's what I call an "opportunity cost". In my view, invading Cuba is not a free VP for the USA. It is a VP they acquired easily, but at the expense of attacking the Axis directly.

Speaking as a player, I have done as you mention (pick on helpless minor countries as AFA/USA) at times as the Allies to gain a VP. However, it is not always a good idea. Sometimes giving the Axis that free hand to act is more painful than what the VP was actually worth, if you take my meaning.

It all depends on the game situation. If the Axis are boxed in and not doing anything: yes taking Cuba might be useful and not a distraction. If Germany is close to conquering Russia, then invading Cuba is a terrible idea. Etc.

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Ricco'
Italy
Modena
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Dave for your comment.
I want to add my personal compliments for the game: We have made 4 consecutive plays and we have enjoyed every time.
Moreover, it is well balanced and with good option to win for every side.
Best Regards
Enrico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you Enrico, I am very pleased to hear it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.