Hide
5 Posts

BattleCON: Fate of Indines» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lord Eustace: Frostflow token discard rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mood Whiplash
msg tools
Simple issue, hopefully. The way I read it, Eustace's UA will only ever cause him to lose a maximum of 2 Frostflow tokens per duel: one when he is first damaged, and one when he is first stunned.

The wording seems slightly odd, in that it makes it seem a little like he loses tokens whenever he is stunned and/or damaged, but the whole construction makes it seem more reasonable that the phrase "first time" is to be taken very literally.

This also seems to back up the advice on his reference card about stunning him early, because taking him down quickly before he can really benefit from a batch of tokens is only relevant when he isn't bleeding them left, right and centre.

It also makes sense in the context of "first time" being used with Magdelina in War of Indines for a special one off event, i.e. her being unable to level up at the end of beat one.

The question is: am I right? If I'm wrong, Eustace is beyond feeble. If I'm right, he looks a lot more dangerous as a brawler. Please help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't per duel, it's per beat.

At first Eustace looks weak, but that isn't really the case. He has enough defenses that he can avoid being stunned most of the time, meaning most beats he'll break even on frost flow. On null beats (where both players miss or someone dashes) he'll net a token. He'll also net a token on beats in which he manages to hit and stun the opponent.

His styles are quite strong, and his unique base is as well. Much like Alexian, his UA is a handicap to keep him from being OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mood Whiplash
msg tools
OK, thanks. Please will you tell me if this is in an official FAQ somewhere, or if it's something that's been confirmed by the designer?

I'll try him out this way and see what happens. The wording of his UA just seems really strange to me: the repeated "first time" pops out at me for some reason.

I'm new to the system, so I'm only going on initial impressions here. Once I've got some more play experience I'll make the decision on which version of Eustace to play: the beat-by-beat version or the 2 per duel version. For my level of casual play, the balance change isn't likely to be too much of an issue.

Once again, thanks for the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. If you do try him out, let me give you a few tips-

Be mindful of your opponent's maximum likely damage output, and try to cover it with stun guard at all times. Anteing force for extra stun guard is usually a good move.

Dash a lot. Opening with a dash is a very solid move for Eustace, as you can situate yourself directly beside the opponent and threaten a powerful Frigid Cross as early as beat 2.

His Stun immune base is a powerful tool when paired with Cross.

Anteing one or two frostflow for soak is generally unwise. It's best conserved until you can ante 4-5 for a Frigid Cross/Drive, but wait until your opponent uses his dash.

I think you'll find him more powerful than you expect. He's a slugger, so you only need to hit your opponent a few times to finish the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OodRedacted wrote:
OK, thanks. Please will you tell me if this is in an official FAQ somewhere, or if it's something that's been confirmed by the designer?

I'll try him out this way and see what happens. The wording of his UA just seems really strange to me: the repeated "first time" pops out at me for some reason.

I'm new to the system, so I'm only going on initial impressions here. Once I've got some more play experience I'll make the decision on which version of Eustace to play: the beat-by-beat version or the 2 per duel version. For my level of casual play, the balance change isn't likely to be too much of an issue.

Once again, thanks for the answer.

The "first time" they mention so often is because there are some characters that can attack more than once per beat and game modes where Eustace may be facing more than one opponent. In these cases, losing Tokens everytime he is hit or stun in a single beat would be an even greater weakness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.