Subject: Should Soviet player know about submarines being hit or not rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier GALLERI
France
Montigny-le-Bretonneux
flag msg tools
Hi,

It's not clear in the rules whether or not the NATO player should say when one of his boat takes a hit or not, and, if so, to which extent (full or half hit).

Imho, this would highly influence game balance, as this information could be crucial for the Soviets to better guess where submarines actually are. OTOH, I'm wondering if this kind of very precise knowledge is realistic.

Till now, my preference is to keep the information secret ninja. Since the Soviet player already has the "contact [colour]" information, knowing whether its target is hit or not should remain a part of its guess work. But my opponents are divided on this matter whistle.

Any hint?

Xavier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmb
gzavatwar wrote:
Hi,

It's not clear in the rules whether or not the NATO player should say when one of his boat takes a hit or not, and, if so, to which extent (full or half hit).

Imho, this would highly influence game balance, as this information could be crucial for the Soviets to better guess where submarines actually are. OTOH, I'm wondering if this kind of very precise knowledge is realistic.

Till now, my preference is to keep the information secret ninja. Since the Soviet player already has the "contact [colour]" information, knowing whether its target is hit or not should remain a part of its guess work. But my opponents are divided on this matter whistle.

Any hint?

Xavier

No need for hints, the rules are very clear. Page 11;

Once the attack depth is declared the NATO players check the locations on the deep board. If the depth and location are correct, NATO declares a hit. If the location is correct and the depth is within 200ft NATO declares a near miss. Otherwise they declare a miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Benford
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
gzavatwar wrote:

The result of attacks should be announced and any damage recorded on the Submarine Damage Tracker. See rule book page 11 Attack 2nd paragraph: Once the attack depth is declared the NATO players check the locations on the deep board. If the depth and location are correct, NATO declares a hit. If the location is correct and the depth is within 200ft NATO declares a near miss. Otherwise they declare a miss.

Importantly though you'll note that the rules do not require the NATO players to indicate which mortar bomb caused a hit or a near miss but simply that a hit or near miss has been achieved. So the Soviet players won't know the exact location of the hit submarine. They may at best be able to identify the square occupied by the submarine to within 3 squares, depending on the circumstances, but more probably just to within the 6 squares covered by the salvo.

The damage trackers are among the shared components in the game and so are normally visible to all players. Making the results of attacks known does mean that the Soviets know the maximum operating depth of a hit submarine for any subsequent attacks but NATO do not declare which colour submarine has been detected if contact has been made during a Soviet search, just that contact has been made in a specific sector of the search template and so knowledge of the maximum operating depth of a previously hit submarine may not always help the attacker - it depends very much on the circumstances.

Andy

Edit: I was writing this reply unaware that Nick was already on the case (above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier GALLERI
France
Montigny-le-Bretonneux
flag msg tools
Ok. Thx a lot! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.