Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Barbre
United States
Midlothian
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I realized recently that I have a pile of great games at home that I like (Agricola, Archipelago, Game of Thrones Boardgame, Twilight Imperium, etc.) that I never get to play because now that I have small children, an evening with 3-4 hours free with 2+ friends available is pretty hard to come by.

I'm looking to buy a new game that can be played by four people in under an hour, that is decently complex and still fun/good with only 2 players. I would appreciate input from the community. I already own Dominion and Race for the Galaxy which fit this bill as well.

Here are the games I am considering:
Istanbul
Dungeon Petz
Voyages of Marco Polo
King Chocolate
Seasons
Euphoria
Roll for the Galaxy

For the above games, I would appreciate opinions on whether they are indeed fun with both Two and/or More players, and can they realistically be played in under an hour?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia and Glass Road both scale really well. Roll for the Galaxy and The Voyages of Marco Polo are the only games you listed that I have played and they both scale well! All four take under an hour for two and close to an hour with four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Barbre
United States
Midlothian
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gstrobe188 wrote:
Concordia and Glass Road both scale really well. Roll for the Galaxy and The Voyages of Marco Polo are the only games you listed that I have played and they both scale well! All four take under an hour for to and close to an hour with four.

I had another person recommend Concordia, but the playtime on BGG is listed as 100 minutes. Does it really play in more like an hour?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps I am doing it wrong, but based on my one game of Dungeon Petz, I am not sure that it can realistically be played in an hour. ButRoll for the Galaxy can, and I enjoy it 2-player. Haven't tried it 3-4 players yet, but since BGG community say it's best that way, I wouldn't expect any problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Acceptableloss wrote:
Gstrobe188 wrote:
Concordia and Glass Road both scale really well. Roll for the Galaxy and The Voyages of Marco Polo are the only games you listed that I have played and they both scale well! All four take under an hour for to and close to an hour with four.

I had another person recommend Concordia, but the playtime on BGG is listed as 100 minutes. Does it really play in more like an hour?

I would say 90 to 120 minutes is for the full four players. Two players in an hour shouldn't be too hard once you've played your first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Williamstown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
All OOP, but fit your criteria:

The Palaces of Carrara
Glen More
Helvetia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.