Subject: Cooperative (maybe even solo) deckbuilders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any cooperative deckbuilders out there? I have Star Realms, but the cooperative game is a little weak. I know there is The Big Book of Madness but I'm not sure if its worth it. I'd love to have something fantasy as well, at least action/adventure-y.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have not played any of these yet, but I know of the Legendary series (Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game, etc.), XenoShyft: Onslaught, and the upcoming Hero Realms is supposed to have much stronger co-op options than Star Realms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Big Book of Madness is a great game.

Alien Legendary Encounters is fantastic.

XenoShyft Onslaught or Dreadmire are a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday - Solo deck builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrift: Archfiends coop deck builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Book of Madness is great, but if you're really good at deck-builders it might be on the easy side. The player interaction is pretty good. Fun theme.

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game Expansion (and the Predator sibling) are fun, especially if you're a fan of the franchise. The co-op mechanism is a little thin, which is that some cards in each player's hand can offer an assist. Also the difficulty swings pretty wildly with different player counts, IMO...

Shadowrun: Crossfire is a deckbuilder, but you don't end up with fat decks and you don't cycle through them quickly as you only typically draw 1 or 2 cards per round, but its got a LOT of player interaction for the co-op bit and is pretty hard if you like to lose.

Friday is solo only, and isn't incredibly deep but you can get a copy for $15 and you'll get lots value for that price. It's a tight well designed filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmb
i have Big book of madness i highly recommend it if your in co ops. also try :

legendary

Mage Knight although its pretty much a solo 2 player game until the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Okay, what do I win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cockrell
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godurmyall wrote:

My thumbs up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godurmyall wrote:

A price for the first game mentioned that isn't actually a deckbuilder?

But apart from that, I totally second your recommendation!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Fincastle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend Paperback! It is only $25 and the creator just finished another printing run. You can play cooperatively or against one another.

Also Orléans is a great "bag builder." Also the expansion Orléans: Invasion makes it a fantastic cooperative game.

I hope you find what you are looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
godurmyall wrote:

Bye
Thanee

I have owned and sold this game. Love LOTR, love the theme and the art, do not love deck construction games (thank YOU BGG, for teaching me the difference!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Giersch
United States
Saukville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have just announced Akham Horror: The Card Game on the Fantsay Flight website. Looks like a must buy for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sann Dehrclahs
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I Wish You a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!
badge
This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bulwark is a defend-the-castle fantasy deckbuilder; I cover way more in my review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
godurmyall wrote:

Bye
Thanee

It's indeed not a deckbuilding game. You do pre-game deck construction, which is something entirely different.

Friday is a good recommendation, I was positively surprised by this game. Don't let the silly artworks fool you: it's a solid and challenging game.

I also have XenoShyft: Onslaught on my radar, but I heard it doesn't offer much replay value, is that correct ? :\

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
Are there any cooperative deckbuilders out there? I have Star Realms, but the cooperative game is a little weak. I know there is The Big Book of Madness but I'm not sure if its worth it. I'd love to have something fantasy as well, at least action/adventure-y.

Thanks!

Bulwark
: Excellent fantasy themed deck builder, though some are put off by the lack of art. I would probably check this out first based on what you've mentioned so far.

Shadowrift
: Above average fantasy deckbuilder. The most disappointing thing about this game is the disservice the designer has done to the fans of the game. The first expansion, Shadowrift: Archfiends, mostly adds stuff so that the game play can be changed to a one-versus-all game with one person playing the side of evil (Archfiend), instead of the pure cooperative play of the base game. This move seemed like it chased away half of his customer base, especially since the base game is begging for more content. The reprint of the 2nd edition and the actually useful expansion Shadowrift: Eve of the Sickle Moon I think will be out any day now. The game is known for its delays though.

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
: Was originally designed as a semi-cooperative game and this design is evident in the difficulty of the base game, especially the Masterminds. With the Dark City expansion, they introduce challenge modes. You can play with a couple of challenge modes (or just 1 if it's Gimpy Hand or Army of Evil 4+) and it plays very well purely cooperatively. Some cards/hero sets will work better or worse with pure coop play though. Some of the more recent Masterminds and Schemes are rough enough that with higher player counts you may not need challenge modes for a competitive game.
There are additional variants on geek to make the game work better for pure coop play as well. (Honestly, without the challenge modes and pure coop play, I wouldn't be playing this any more - runaway leader issues were terrible.)
Game is (in general) easier with fewer players.

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
: Legendary with a re-theme and a shift in design towards purely cooperative including mechanisms like "scanning" and "coordinate". Works better than Legendary out of the box for pure coop play, but there is far more material (and thus replayability) for regular Legendary than this.

Paperback
: Word game deckbuilder. The cooperative game is okay, but I don't think it is properly scaled for higher player counts. There may be a variant on the geek that improves this. Might be decent for solo or 2-player, but you may want to try before you buy.

Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game
: Designed for the semi-coop again. I would recommend against for pure cooperative play (especially with all the other Legendary options).

Shadowrun: Crossfire
: Some issues with balance, and as far as I know, still just the 1 cooperative scenario including the expansion (there is enough variability in play for the scenario that more are not necessary, but might be nice). I think it has some balance issues, pretty sure both 4 and 2 players play better than 3 players. Okay for coop play.

Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game
: Extension of Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game, but with a Predator theme instead of an Aliens theme and instead of 1 cooperative game, you get two lesser half games: 1 pure coop and 1 competitive. Can be mixed with Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game, but I couldn't say how well - no one I know that owns them both has really wanted to try.

Rune Age
: Has at least 1 cooperative scenario in the base game (I'm not sure about the expansion - maybe 1 more). Did not really seem to have enough variability to warrant a purchase solely for cooperative play. Does have a fantasy theme though.

XenoShyft: Onslaught
: Mediocre game that goes on far too long for what it is, even with lower player counts. Does not help that the original Kickstarter offered add-on packs that seem to have been never play tested, and certainly not well tested enough to ensure balance. Supposedly there were fixes coming, but the initial release probably permanently lost my attention.

The Big Book of Madness
: Fairly bland and uninspiring game. I did not feel that repeat games played all that differently. There are some okay ideas here, but to me it feels like the game was simplified too much. Again maybe try before you buy if possible.

Mistfall
: The deckbuilding part of this game is almost a misnomer, since it is very difficult to get cards from your discard pile back in your draw deck. Okay ideas, but I found actual game play underwhelming, and probably not what you want since you are looking for a deckbuilder, and hand management is more important here. Does have a fantasy theme, though.

Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation
: This and the expansion Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation – The Next Phase both came with cooperative scenarios, unfortunately the implementation of ships and upgrading ships in the game is terrible. Maybe there is variant on the geek that makes this worthwhile. More bad news, Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series, which fixed the problem of ships from the other games by removing them entirely, does not have a cooperative scenario.

Galactic Strike Force
: Quite possibly the fiddliest game ever, which is fairly large achievement for a game that is mostly cards with two types of tokens (there are ship tokens/minis as well). This was from Greater Than Games (though now under the Fabled Nexus line), who make Sentinels of the Multiverse, a non-deck building card game that I really like. So I had fairly high hopes for this. Turned out to be a huge dud, including wanting to keep your deck as small as possible because the best cards to get are the cards that will attach to your ship (and thus be permanently removed from your deck) when you play them, but (for I believe all but 1 faction) no way to trash the one shots from your deck. Worse still, the cards are double-sided and not buying the crappy one-shots that are available means the bad stuff on the other side will trigger and be worse. Just avoid this.

The Lord of the Rings Dice Building Game
: Deck building, except with dice, which sounds cool, but this is just Quarriors! with a LotR re-theme and coop play. This means that single pass through the deck Solitaire has a greater weight towards skill as to whether you win or not.

Friday
: Solo Deck builder that is quite good, even though I don't think the replayability is terribly high.

Dead Apocalypse
: Surprisingly decent little deck builder with zombie theme. It could probably use an expansion for more variety in play, but I don't think it did well enough in sales to get said expansion.

The Adventure of Hayabusa
: Group deck builder, where all players draw from a single deck. Not a terrible game, but definitely research more before you look into picking it up.

Games with a deck building aspect, that might also be enjoyable:
Mage Knight Board Game
: Fantasy themed (there is also a Star Trek re-theme) game with a bit of a deck building aspect (though you will likely only go through your deck ~3 times). I advise against playing with more than 3 players - heck even 3 is pushing it.
The Shadow Over Westminster
: Cthulhu themed deck builder with some worker placement, okay but seemed a bit generic/lacking in replayability.
Orléans with Orléans: Deluxe Edition
: The expansion introduces a method for playing the bag builder cooperatively.
The Pathfinder Adventure Card Games
: Fantasy themed, but it is more of a hand management game. Very little deckbuilding, even with campaign play.
Commissioned
: Religious themed game with deck building. I found the deck building underwhelming - get the cards that give double and triple moves as quickly as possible.

You may be able to find more possible options with an advanced search. Beware though that even a small amount of deck building, or games with a single coop scenario will show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
I also have XenoShyft: Onslaught on my radar, but I heard it doesn't offer much replay value, is that correct ? :\

The retail game suffers a bit from the lack of Kickstarter exclusives, since some of them really add to the game. The Hive expansion (available in retail) is pretty much needed for enough enemy variety. And I wouldn't want to play it without the NorTec Heroes and experimental items, both of which were Kickstarter exclusives. Which is why I hunted down a Kickstarter copy of the game instead of buying a retail copy.

Also, some of the Onslaught game is being changed with the upcoming Dreadmire.

If you are interested in the game, at this point it's best to get the App for tablet or on Steam.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:

Thanks!

Have you tried the Star Realms solo games and variants?
The Gambit set has a couple of solo challenges, and on the 1 Player Guild there are 12 additional solo campaigns posted. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1524218/star-realms-challen...

I mean, obviously it's better to find and buy more games, but this is just in case you haven't mined the Star Realms solo spectrum yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay missed one that I've played quite a bit:
Dark Gothic
: A competitive deck builder version of A Touch of Evil with rules for coop play that are broken, but can work okay with some tweaking. Note that one of the tweaks mentioned in the original post of that thread has been made official in the Colonial Horror expansion (as shown in a post near the bottom of the thread as it currently stands). Very light and quick to the point of being a filler, still quite fun for what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.