28.6% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried out the solo game for the first time today and really enjoyed it. Some learning curve, but not too bad. I narrowly lost to Starbuck 21-20 after he got BOTH 8 point whales. Here's my question: Why are buildings that aren't recommended for the 2-player game listed under the build action for AI captains? Isn't it likely that most solo games will be against one AI captain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe for you, but I know I will eventually want to try a game vs 2 or 3 AI. Better to have all your bases covered on one board than have to include a card or some such to say "this is what you do if playing with 2 or more AI.

Also, some may want to play two players and one AI.

I see many reasons to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
Maybe for you, but I know I will eventually want to try a game vs 2 or 3 AI. Better to have all your bases covered on one board than have to include a card or some such to say "this is what you do if playing with 2 or more AI.

Also, some may want to play two players and one AI.

I see many reasons to do it.

I understand that, and that's why the question used conditional language. However, while I can see putting one or two buildings from the 3+ player count, it seems like there's a pretty high ratio from that player count. That being said, I've only played one game against Starbuck, and perhaps it's not as prevalent with the other captains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, most solo games will probably be against 1 captain. Brandon has the right idea, though. You can play two captains, or add in a captain when playing with another human to make a 3 player game. And you can even use some of the buildings from the 3-player game in place of some of the regular 2-player buildings.

Basically, I tried to anticipate that people would want to mix things up in all these ways, and provide a captain that can account for all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.