$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 130.92

7,699 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: For those nearing 50 and dreading their next physical... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I didn't know this was an option. And it's apparently just as effective as a colonoscopy at averting deaths due to colorectal cancer--the second biggest cancer killer. The downside--besides having to collect the sample--is that it has to be done yearly to be effective. Colonoscopies, when negative, are much more infrequent. (I'm quite sure this is my first ever post about poop!)

You Could Skip Your Colonoscopy If You’re Willing To Collect Your Poop
9 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
Erik17 wrote:
I didn't know this was an option. And it's apparently just as effective as a colonoscopy at averting deaths due to colorectal cancer--the second biggest cancer killer. The downside--besides having to collect the sample--is that it has to be done yearly to be effective. Colonoscopies, when negative, are much more infrequent. (I'm quite sure this is my first ever post about poop!)

You Could Skip Your Colonoscopy If You’re Willing To Collect Your Poop


Eight days.

ug

Eight. Days.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
Erik17 wrote:
I didn't know this was an option. And it's apparently just as effective as a colonoscopy at averting deaths due to colorectal cancer--the second biggest cancer killer. The downside--besides having to collect the sample--is that it has to be done yearly to be effective. Colonoscopies, when negative, are much more infrequent. (I'm quite sure this is my first ever post about poop!)

You Could Skip Your Colonoscopy If You’re Willing To Collect Your Poop


Eight days.

ug

Eight. Days.

I thought they just lasted a few minutes...I'm definitely collecting my poop then!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I have a family history of colon cancer, have had two screenings, and have never heard of alternative tests. The colonoscopy isn't awful, but the cleanse you do the day before sure is. And even though my insurance pays for it, I pay my insurance bills so saving money is good overall. I'll ask my doctor about the poop test next time I'm due.

(What is the "eight days" business? I didn't see it in the article.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even find the cleanse to be that bad. Disclaimer: I was advised to lay-off meats and fiberous foods for the 12-24 hours before the cleanse. I remember the day before being at a vegan-ish restaurant, and ordering a beat smoothie. Next day cleanse: easy peasy.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
wmshub wrote:
Wow. I have a family history of colon cancer, have had two screenings, and have never heard of alternative tests. The colonoscopy isn't awful, but the cleanse you do the day before sure is. And even though my insurance pays for it, I pay my insurance bills so saving money is good overall. I'll ask my doctor about the poop test next time I'm due.

(What is the "eight days" business? I didn't see it in the article.)


Mine is scheduled in eight days.

I'm not looking forward to the cleanse.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
LennyS wrote:
I didn't even find the cleanse to be that bad. Disclaimer: I was advised to lay-off meats and fiberous foods for the 12-24 hours before the cleanse. I remember the day before being at a vegan-ish restaurant, and ordering a beat smoothie. Next day cleanse: easy peasy.


Noted.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
LennyS wrote:
beet smoothie

THIS is where this thread got disgusting. gulp
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleanse - inconvenient

Colonoscopy - no problem at all. cool

Peace of mind - wonderful
14 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
my colonoscopy story.


Ugh this drink is awful!
I can't finish this.
Glagh it's horrrrible!

okay done. (runs to bathroom)

Runs to bathroom
Runs to bathroom
Runs to bathroom
Runs to bathroom

mom, dads in the bathroom again!
You okay? yeah.

Runs to bathroom
Runs to bathroom
Runs to bathroom

eats jelly beans.

Runs to bathroom
Runs to bathroom
Runs to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroomRuns to bathroom

okay maybe not this much, but it feels like it.

next day wake and go to hospital.
get an IV and sleep.
wake up 30 min later

Feel great and Go EAT!

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the article:
Included on the list are two cheap, at-home poop tests intended to be done annually: the guaiac-based fecal occult blood test (gFOBT) and a more sensitive test called the fecal immunochemical test, or FIT.

I'm very positive that I've had a guaiac-based fecal occult blood test in a Call of Cthulhu campaign I played in.



8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was pretty easy.

Start the cleanse three days prior. Two days of peanut butter sandwiches and water. Last day mix some MiraLAX with some bottles of Gatorade (64 ounces?) and drink that all day long. Around 4pm of last day, pop a magic pill, and wait 3-4 hours. Make several trips to the bathroom until around midnight. Wake up, go to the clinic, sign papers, put on some rather thin pajamas, etc... wake up refreshed! Go eat some lunch!

If they give you the Michael Jackson medication, ask that the anesthesiologist not leave the room to make any phone calls.

I told my doctor that I lost 7 pounds during that process, and he said, "Well we knew what you were full of, now we know how much."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This

Orangemoose wrote:
Cleanse - inconvenient

Colonoscopy - no problem at all. cool

Peace of mind - wonderful


Plus This

Phil of Mars wrote:

...wake up 30 min later

Feel great and Go EAT!


I never got what the big deal is. You get the day off from work with a legit excuse. The next day you feel 10 pounds lighter, and your insides are all cleaned out and ready to go. You can put it behind you for another 5-10 years.

So you spend the night on the toilet... big deal. It's an easier night on the toilet then it is the day after I eat lamb vindaloo, which is a spicy regretful day.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess a bunch of you like diarrhea more than I do. My last cleanse was a full day of running to the toilet and, uh, "cleaning" things out. A miserable waste of a day in my opinion. For the colonoscopy itself, I agree that it's not bad at all; they give you an IV that makes you kind of loopy, then you lie on your side and watch the cool video of your colon while you drift in and out of consciousness. Then you wake up, feel great, and get to have a big meal on the emptiest stomach of your life.

And of course it is worth it. My father had colon cancer that would have been prevented for sure if he'd gone in for his colonoscopies like he was supposed to. He is cancer-free but is lucky to be alive, will suffer from poor digestion for the rest of his life, and went through about a year of awful surgeries and chemo. GET YOURSELF CHECKED! (But I'm looking into the poop test next time! It sounds way easier.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
wmshub wrote:
Wow. I have a family history of colon cancer, have had two screenings, and have never heard of alternative tests. The colonoscopy isn't awful, but the cleanse you do the day before sure is. And even though my insurance pays for it, I pay my insurance bills so saving money is good overall. I'll ask my doctor about the poop test next time I'm due.

(What is the "eight days" business? I didn't see it in the article.)


Mine is scheduled in eight days.

I'm not looking forward to the cleanse.


When I had mine I thought "As bad as this is gonna be, someone else has to run a camera up my bum and look at my insides."

Therefore I placed a sticker on my right buttcheek that said "No Flash Photography"

My wife nixed the other sticker idea "Please keep arms and legs in the car at all times during the ride."
12 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
I'm at Mini-Wellycon - Oct 22 - 23, 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
From the article:
Included on the list are two cheap, at-home poop tests intended to be done annually: the guaiac-based fecal occult blood test (gFOBT) and a more sensitive test called the fecal immunochemical test, or FIT.

I'm very positive that I've had a guaiac-based fecal occult blood test in a Call of Cthulhu campaign I played in.



Sounds like a messier version of the blood tests in The Thing...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, according to cancer.org, the fecal sample tests only test for cancer and don't detect polyps which could later turn into cancer. Darn, I thought it sounded so easy. Some of the fecal samples can be done at home and you just mail it in to some place who processes it. But since there's a history of colon cancer in my family I guess I'll just do whatever the doctor recommends, even though I'd rather just ship some poop and be done with it.

Pros and cons of different types of tests from cancer.org.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had just been discussing colon cancer risk with my doctor recently as my sister discovered a history of it in my family. Given that they weren't immediate family members and they all were well over the age of fifty, my doctor wasn't too concerned.

After seeing this thread, I sent him a link to the article and asked about his opinion of the tests. He said that the FIT has fewer false positives and is the one they use more. He also mentioned a new test (CologuardTest.com) which "is more specific for precancerous polyps and blood" which he wants to discuss at our next appointment.

I'm only 43 and don't have high risk factors, so I probably don't need a colonoscopy, but I am a little concerned. So if there's a cheap easy way to check for any problems that sounds like something I'd like to pursue.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
sunkencheerio wrote:
Unfortunately, according to cancer.org, the fecal sample tests only test for cancer and don't detect polyps which could later turn into cancer. Darn, I thought it sounded so easy.

That's a great link, Debbie. And that explains why it has to be done annually - because it only detects the cancer once it's relatively advanced, you have to check more often to catch it before it becomes more dangerous.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coupla thoughts;

c'scopy = best nap I ever had (I tried to train myself with a 'suggestion' to say "UMmm - My Hair!" - Clooney style from 'O Brother Where Art Thou', when I came to. My wife reports it worked and she had to uncomfortably explain to the anesthesiologist that my brain damage pre-existed the procedure!)

If a suspicious polyp IS found - you should encourage your children to get a c'scopy at age 45.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife tells me at my last colonoscopy that from the waiting room she could hear me yelling "I'm still awake!! Don't stick anything up my butt yet!!" as they were wheeling me out after finishing the procedure. I then started asking if they offered complimentary breakfast meats for those recovering from the procedure.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.