Subject: Tips for Solitaire Play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be playing this mostly solitaire (with 2 heroes so far, the Soldier and the Acolyte).

Any tips for solitaire play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I'm going to be playing this mostly solitaire (with 2 heroes so far, the Soldier and the Acolyte).

Any tips for solitaire play?
* You'll probably have a lot fewer rules disagreements than most groups. (OTOH, if one person gets a rule wrong, the entire group gets it wrong.)
* Alpha Player Syndrome will probably be very strong.
* If the rules refer to "the number of players," you should always take these rules literally. You're doing twice the work, it should be twice as easy!
* Remember to keep the card decks separate; the Soldier may know how to Pray, but chances are it won't do him a lot of good in the heat of battle.

(in case it needs stating: tongue firmly in cheek)

Soldier and Acolyte is probably the best 2-hero combination: tank/damage and heal/buff. Try to have a Riding the Edge or Harvest of Bones in the Soldier's hand at almost all times, as you're going to be surrounded by minions. But watch your Threat; with only two Heroes, it's even more critical to know when to "take a Cycle off" to cool your aggro meter reduce Threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) Print out the Movement cards from the file section. They help track how much you have moved for each hero on a turn when you get interrupted by a darkness cycle.

2.) I played with both Hands face-up on the table so that I could develop a plan and see all the options easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Organizing the play area was the most important thing for me.
* Card trays for the cards that stay out like items, merchants, and such.
* Have the models handy and separated
* The darkness app helps to clean up the area too, but I like to separate electronic and table top. The darn app is really useful though so sometimes I use it anyway.
* I magnetized the player board from a fantastic suggestion by Lord Cyler https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23138040#23138040 this keeps the items on the board from wandering. If not this do something because chances are the player boards will be close together and you will be reaching over them a lot. Before the magnetizing I did everything from dice to pen/paper to keep the threat and vitality drift from happening.
* Do at least 2 heroes. after a while if you have the space give 3 a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steprov wrote:
Organizing the play area was the most important thing for me.
* Card trays for the cards that stay out like items, merchants, and such.
* Have the models handy and separated
* The darkness app helps to clean up the area too, but I like to separate electronic and table top. The darn app is really useful though so sometimes I use it anyway.
* I magnetized the player board from a fantastic suggestion by Lord Cyler https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23138040#23138040 this keeps the items on the board from wandering. If not this do something because chances are the player boards will be close together and you will be reaching over them a lot. Before the magnetizing I did everything from dice to pen/paper to keep the threat and vitality drift from happening.
* Do at least 2 heroes. after a while if you have the space give 3 a try.

Compared to Shadows of Brimstone (SoB), the cards for this game don't seem to bad but I have a whole range of card holders for that game so I might try using them for this one too.

The magnetic board is interesting, I do have a lot of jostle problems for the health and the threat for the two characters. The reason it's a problem for Myth and not Mercs Recon (same company so similar graphics) is that Mercs doesn't try to put small cards on the player boards. I wonder if two small magnets on both sides of the board might be easier for those items (though the whole magnetic approach is pretty cool I admit).

Now in SoB, I play 4 characters, and the workload is pretty high, but in this game, the individual decks (and their different ways of working -- some with rage, some with faith, etc.) I thought it would be hard to keep track of a lot of characters. I still think so, but maybe in time I will get better at that.

In reviewing the rules initially I selected the Soldier and the Acolyte because I recognized that the Acolyte was necessary to avoid dying over time from even the weakest monster in the game. I think this is a hole in the game, but I know many disagree. The soldier I thought was more "straightforward" and might be easier to play while learning. I know there are other combinations with the Brigand (who can also remove conditions) but I thought he might be harder to play initially. Love the little rat man though.

I'm not really doing the combos well so far and am probably getting all kinds of rules wrong. Still trying to get the hang of maximizing treasure. Also I get into a little trouble eliminating the lairs as quickly as possible. It seems to me that the greatest potential to get into trouble is to let the lairs generate too much opposition, and even spiking on the threat a little to kill them early may be worthwhile.

It took a few videos to make some sense out of the quest structure given that I started with V2 and V1 stuff. Still not totally sure I have it right but I feel like the game still lacks context/story. On the one hand, for the richest play, you need to progress, which means that you need to play story quests, accumulate titles and equipment, and get to the point where you can safely take on all those bosses I got with the purchase. But there is little world context outside the actual play, so there is no support for "keeping you in the game" outside of those tiles. No support for buying equipment, or building your character. Yes you can acquire titles (if you survive) and maybe swap in some advanced cards, but compared to other games, the customization is difficult, time consuming, and less that fully satisfying in terms of customization (whose purpose is to let you identify with your character).

I can see they are concerned with too much gear acquisition too fast, but I feel like this is likely to be of concern only for people playing a campaign (and there's no structure for that right?) I suspect you're going to need all that equipment, potions, and cards to take on the stronger bosses anyway.

Anyway, fun game, I'm going to dive in again. I did act 1 of the first quest and the second act is a slaughterfield act (not really on board with this, but what the heck) and then there is a third act. They take a game session to play each act so in the spirit of Myth, once I do that, I'll have my first title and I'll decide what I want to keep for the next one (I may keep more than the game wishes so that I can take on some bosses). We'll see and I'm happy to have all the advice I can get. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the fun of this game is seeing which treasure/equipment you find each session and figuring out how to use it best. This is a tactical game where you have to adapt to changing conditions every cycle (and tile). Keeping all of your equipment and/or "advancing" too quickly is, IMHO, going to take a lot of the anticipation and fun out of the game and make it too easy.

With the 2.0 rules, you can get one blue card for your party plus allow each hero to either do one deck manipulation or get a title (a hero can keep one piece of equipment for each title she/he has acquired) for each time a boss is defeated.

There is a quest chain (in 2.0) that ends with a boss fight, but you can also just decide to add a boss to a tile's requirements if you think you are ready.

BTW, I play solo all the time and Myth plays very well solo, using 2 or 3 heroes. I agree that the Soldier and Acolyte are best when starting out, especially if only playing with 2 heroes. Adding in the Archer makes a great party, IMHO.

EDIT: Check out my Myth session reports, if you want to see how some of my solo gameplay went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping you would comment Jude as I know solo is your forte and you have a ton of hours in the game.

Don't be afraid to try other characters. I want to mirror Jude's sentiment that this is a strategy game at its heart and that I find it extremely satisfying kicking the darkness in the teeth with a combo like say archer and apprentice.

If you want something more structured do one of the modules on the megacon web site or one of the custom ones here.

One way I have played the game is keep all the equipment until we finally beat a boss. Treating it as one long game session no matter how many real game sessions it takes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips folks. It's a long weekend here, but unfortunately I need to do some project work and can't get away hiking, but I am resolved to break Myth out and learn it in my downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
davidcoleman wrote:
Thanks for the tips folks. It's a long weekend here, but unfortunately I need to do some project work and can't get away hiking, but I am resolved to break Myth out and learn it in my downtime.

You're welcome. Have fun!

I recommend downloading the handy flow chart from the BGG files for Myth, and also one of the Movement Tracker card files. Myth is not a very complex game once you have the rules down, but these player aids make it easier to remember the sequence of play and which movement you have chosen for each hero each cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:

I recommend downloading the handy flow chart from the BGG files for Myth, and also one of the Movement Tracker card files.

See I learn something new everyday. I did not know about the movement tracker. That is a great idea! I love BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded it too, thanks. As a retired software engineer, the flowchart makes sense, but also makes me laugh to see it in this context.

Myth has bits and pieces of the sequence of events all over the cards and books but they really needed to do something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
My solitaire play experience improved considerably when I stopped using the hero and darkness boards entirely, instead just laying the cards on the table and keeping track of Health, AP, Threat, etc. with dice.

The boards really become superfluous once you understand the game.

Seems sort of sad, when you realize they could have been more tiles, tokens, or standees.

Come to think of it, maybe I should apply some new art and repurpose them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.