Subject: New version with app? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that FFG seem to be making app-assisted games, it struck me that this could be another one reworked as it was a beast to set up & play, plus had an overriding storyline of sorts.

What do you reckon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it. I don't see how it would help much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In service to the Imperium of Man
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know...seems like the apps in these games are all basically a GM replacement. Since there's no equivalent role in Android I'm not sure what function the app would perform. You could use it to simulate the board state but at that point you might as well make the jump from "app assisted" to "digital remake".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

I think they'll wait until they've unloaded the 1600 copies they still have in the warehouse.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
I doubt it. I don't see how it would help much.

LOL! Oh, that was funny. Tell another one!

Yeah, I think an app-enabled Android game is quite likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
I don't know...seems like the apps in these games are all basically a GM replacement. Since there's no equivalent role in Android I'm not sure what function the app would perform. You could use it to simulate the board state but at that point you might as well make the jump from "app assisted" to "digital remake".

The role the app would play would be to know the details of the crime, conspiracy, motive, suspects, murder weapons, etc, all with a plausible story and without the players having to fiddle around with a billion different decks of cards to get it all to work properly (and without a player acting solely as a referee).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
you might as well make the jump from "app assisted" to "digital remake".

I think there's a place for a hybrid. Given Android's glorious presentation I think you could sell the physical aspect of the game but use an app as an assistant to vary the narratives of each of the main characters. The app would be dead simple to implement and the physical nature of the body of the game would make for a copy-protection mechanism.

The game would lose a lot on a screen. But the ability to add new characters, new narrative, new encounters . . . that would be a boon to a game such as this.

That said, I think FFG sees this title as done and won't develop for it anymore. It didn't sell well and its chief designer is gone. But I'd love to see the concept incorporated into other titles with a similar play concept to them.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
The role the app would play would be to know the details of the crime, conspiracy, motive, suspects, murder weapons, etc, all with a plausible story and without the players having to fiddle around with a billion different decks of cards to get it all to work properly (and without a player acting solely as a referee).

This is what I was thinking of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

Oh okay, so we're talking about another Clue-style remake of the game then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

I don't think you need that, and I don't think you even want it. I think having a game of Android end in a neatly-tied package is counterproductive considering its thematic concepts.

That said an app could do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
you might as well make the jump from "app assisted" to "digital remake".

I think there's a place for a hybrid. Given Android's glorious presentation I think you could sell the physical aspect of the game but use an app as an assistant to vary the narratives of each of the main characters. The app would be dead simple to implement and the physical nature of the body of the game would make for a copy-protection mechanism.

The game would lose a lot on a screen. But the ability to add new characters, new narrative, new encounters . . . that would be a boon to a game such as this.

That said, I think FFG sees this title as done and won't develop for it anymore. It didn't sell well and its chief designer is gone. But I'd love to see the concept incorporated into other titles with a similar play concept to them.

S.

I think this sounds good in theory but I am less sure about the implementation. The narratives of the characters are bound up in the twilight decks and plot cards, so to get those on the app every player would have to add baggage and manage their hands from the device--including playing dark cards on another player's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
I don't think you need that, and I don't think you even want it.

I definitely don't, for sure. But it's what springs to mind when someone talks about adding a referee to Android to keep track of hidden details about the murder and the conspiracy, implying that these are set in stone and need to be discovered rather than created by players over the course of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure. Netrunner has brought a lot of attention back to the Android universe, and they've even created an Android universe "bible" to keep the backstory consistent across all games. Why would they do that if there weren't more Android games on the horizon? And with their current trend of releasing new editions of old games, Android seems like a good choice for a reboot (and an especially good choice for an app).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

Oh okay, so we're talking about another Clue-style remake of the game then.

No, the difference being that Clue is shit and a board game where you actually have to use your powers of deduction and reasoning to solve a crime would be amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
Why would they do that if there weren't more Android games on the horizon?

I think there are more Android games on the horizon. I just don't think Android is one of them. Here's hoping FFG proves me wrong. I think a version 2 of this game would be great, as I think its flaws are pretty fixable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is out the question.

The fact that they are willing to release a second edition of Mansions of Madness is promising. This was a game that was very original, and was well received by many, but also had its flaws and suffered some harsh criticism by others. I think the same applies to Android.

If you had asked me two weeks ago if I thoughts a Mansions or an Android remake was more likely, I would have said Android. Mansions was already "fixed" to some extent by Call of the Wild. That news came out of nowhere for me!

I'm certain there is more Android on the horizon (and it's about time given the success of Netrunner) and I won't be surprised if it's a reboot of the original. But, I guess I won't be surprised if it isn't either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No app.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/3/new-ange...

I know, not a new version of this game, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4-6 players? Looks interesting but I'll wait to hear more about it. Glad to see they have not given up on the Android-world boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

I love their art choices on this line. Everything is so brown in their other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.