Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Crabtree
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy all.

I am in the early to intermediate stages of board game design for a new "edutainment" type card and dice board game based upon the theme of infectious disease and medicine. I've recently started self-testing, and so far so good. Unfortunately despite all the time in development to date a good name still eludes me. So, if any of you all would be so kind, I'm taking suggestions!

Some quick background and game play summary to guide you...

A young Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) officer presents to the hospital a little sick, a little febrile. Concerned he is admitted to the hospital for further care. You can play either the pathogens (bacteria, viruses, parasites, etc) or the people (host immune system and medical team) in a turn based effort to either wreak havoc or save lives. Use your pathogens to grow, disseminate, and cause bug-specific injury or use the body's various white blood cells and immune system combined with the medical team's complement of diagnostic tests, antimicrobials, and other interventions to beat back the disease. It's a legacy based game with each game culminating either in the young officer's eventual survival or passing.

Game is set up by randomly selecting 4 organ systems to infect and then 1 unique pathogen for each of the selected systems. Similarly host white blood cells are randomly distributed throughout the different systems as well. Game play is based on individual rounds with the pathogens going first followed by the immune system and the medical team. Pathogens can attack, divide, use a special power, play a Virulence Card, or attempt to disseminate to other systems. Host immune cells can similarly move between systems, attack, use a special power, or play an Immune Card. The medical team can only play various Intervention Cards, but it obviously has a much larger number to choose from. Game ends when either a sufficient number of pathogens have been killed, a sufficient number of organ systems have been injured, or the number of rounds runs out. Awards and power ups are then distributed for the next game based on results.

And that's about as succinct a summary as I can provide. Probably a relatively niche target market, but I'm having a heck of a time working on it so it is all good all the same. Thanks for any suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Internal conflict
Body check
Survival of the fittest
Damage/Control (as one title)

Sounds good, btw

(Internal Affairs and Dead or Alive already taken...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're the Disease, I'm the Cure

Pathogen

Treatment vs Infection

Infectious Disease

Osmosis Jones: the Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Crabtree
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both for the suggestions so far. I'm kinda liking Internal Conflict and Pathogens. Not sure if everyone from the get go knows what a pathogen is, though, maybe limiting the utility of the latter. Or am I not giving the general public enough credit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The battle of the immune system / battle of the bulging sore / lymphatic system / the battle for (name of protagonist)'s body
Got stuck on the idea of it being like a hiostoric battle but in a person

convalescence

pirates of the pancreas

immune response

first do no harm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Crabtree
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha. I don't think I'll use it, but I do like Pirates of the Pancreas. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Crabtree
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how's about Pathogens: The Wars Within?

Eh, eh, descriptive? Memorable? Not too long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A deckbuilder on a similar theme called Pathogenesis just hit kickstarter - you probably ought to avoid a name that's too similar, though I do think there's plenty of room for both games to coexist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I like "Pathogens: the war within." Also, how about:

Hazmat
Plague Doctors (though this sounds like it's from the Restoration period)
Infectious

Off toptic: It strikes me as a bit odd to call it "edutainment" and then have the disease be guided by a player -- feels a bit too close to some sort of supernatural theme, to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Richards
United States
Crossville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The War Within
The Immune Response

Pathologic Warfare
Dasterdly Diseases
Code Blue
The Sickness Consumes
The Struggle Within

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Crabtree
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the continued suggestions. Lots of possibilities.

And thanks for the heads up on the Pathogenesis game, John. I actually coincidentally just saw a link to the Kickstarter in my FB thread. Sounds like an interesting game. Very similar in concept, but very different in design and execution. I agree I think there will be room for both as the game I am now play testing is structurally very different, but yes it may complicate the naming some.

Also I get your point, Brendan, about a player controlling the pathogen being a little weird and "supernatural." Similar could be said about a player controlling the immune system. That's where the "-tainment" part of the edutainment comes in, though. A little imagination can help teach complicated microbiological concepts. It would truly be difficult to design a game fully reflective of life. It'd likely cease to be a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wallace
United States
Saunderstown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is for Internal Conflict. Short, evocative, and not your standard name for a pathogen game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.