Subject: Player turns / order of actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daniel bullen
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all.

We played our first game of this recently: 2 players with 2 actors each.

We took something of an RPG approach to action order (i.e. imagining how we'd do this if we were playing a FRPG); for example, have one actor open a door, then have actors with ranged weapons fire out the door at the zombies.

This does seem to make it a little quicker for the actors, since the first one (who opened the door) can then act after the ranged attacks with remaining actions.

Is this making the game too easy for the actors? Maybe, our team didn't suffer a single wound while completing scenario zero (Danse Macabre).

d3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: mixing actions like that reduces, or even eliminates, the risk of many actions. It can even significantly increase action economy, and action economy is the main resource that matters in this game.

As always: games are supposed to be fun, so if a houserule like this is more fun for you and your group, awesome. But it does give a major advantage to the players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can do whatever you want of course, but this is definitely breaking the rules and it will most certainly give the survivors an advantage. you will probably have to adjust difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that you'll probably want to adjust the difficulty in some way (if you have any expansion content, you could easily do this with your spawn deck ratios).

Sounds like a fun way to play though. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d3nial wrote:
Hi all.

We played our first game of this recently: 2 players with 2 actors each.

We took something of an RPG approach to action order (i.e. imagining how we'd do this if we were playing a FRPG); for example, have one actor open a door, then have actors with ranged weapons fire out the door at the zombies.

This does seem to make it a little quicker for the actors, since the first one (who opened the door) can then act after the ranged attacks with remaining actions.

Is this making the game too easy for the actors? Maybe, our team didn't suffer a single wound while completing scenario zero (Danse Macabre).

d3

Just for an estimate of the difficulty adjustment:
We are playing the 6+ survivors scenarios with 4 survivors only. But we do not play with fixed turn order.
The main issue with less survivors is that danger levels increase faster, as you have to try to distribute the kills among fewer survivors. This increases difficulty, especially in scenarios where you have to pick up many objectives that give +5 XPs or where you have many Aboms to kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
The player skill 'Tactician' lets that player take their turn at any point in the round they want. However the player has to take their turn all at once and can't take their turn in the middle of another player's turn. So you are giving each player an improved version of Tactician that lets them break up their turn and take it in any order.

That said the rules for multiple characters per player already let you use your characters in any order each turn, giving all the characters in a solo game tactician for free... This kind of house rule has always been a bit of a grey area for me, clearly it makes the game easier... But if you can do it in a solo play, why shouldn't you be able to do it in a 6 player game with the same number of survivors?

YMMV, but I think 4 survivors instead of 6 is a reasonable trade off for the change, possibly an overpayment for it. You lose 6+ actions per turn, including 2 search actions in the early game, but you can get better mileage from the actions you have... Many turns you gain little to no advantage, others you may save several actions but I have a hard time thinking of reasonable situations where you save 6+ actions... (I have had turns where 3+ survivors are in a room with 3 abominations and the only survivor that can kill them is a space or two away and goes past this round... So you save a TON of actions in that situation, but with only two players you save at most 2 characters worth (6 at blue, 8 at yellow, possibly another action or two) the same as you lose each round to not having those two extra characters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel bullen
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks team.

I do like to make the game feel more FRPG and less restrictive.

I like the reduction in number of characters/PCs to increase the difficulty.
I think the addition of trap cards for searching also helps with upping the difficulty.

Also, is it official rules that you can search a room more than once? That seems odd. We played each room can only be searched once.

Can't wait to play again!

d3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only restriction is that you can only use one Search Action per activation. It's fine for different Survivors to Search the same room or for a Survivor to Search a room once per turn, but you can't Search multiple times per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d3nial wrote:
Thanks team.

I do like to make the game feel more FRPG and less restrictive.

I like the reduction in number of characters/PCs to increase the difficulty.
I think the addition of trap cards for searching also helps with upping the difficulty.

Also, is it official rules that you can search a room more than once? That seems odd. We played each room can only be searched once.

Can't wait to play again!

d3

With searching each room only once you will probably not have many chances to win any Scenario... ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.