$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
37.7% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Chris
United States
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature Market is selling Defenders of the Last Stand for $60.50, which is 45% off the retail price (if $110 is indeed the retail price). WDE has it in stock for $70. CSI and Cardhaus still show it as a preorder for $72.

Pretty good discount considering the game just got to distribution (KS backers have had it for a while).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering how much content I've missed by not backing this on KS. Is this worth it, or gutted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, the KS version has 3 extra heroes and 12 extra adventure cards. I don't know if they are available for purchase anywhere. I also do not know how much they affect the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 4 heroes. and yeah it's pretty crappy without them and the extra adventure locations. It's like 8th summit learned nothing from agents of smersh ks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its 4 extra heroes and 12 extra adventure cards. The game is not gutted without the content, but if you play at the max player count just like in Zombicide Black Plague there will be no variety in heroes as you will have to play them all. This game does support smaller hero counts of 2 and 3 and still plays well, and at smaller hero counts you will have some variety of heroes to choose from. The extra adventures allow a few more places where the adventure token can appear at, and some more variety to the encounters. With 36 adventure encounters in the basic game, there is already quite a bit of content.

The game is basically a Defenders of the Realm 2.0, with a different setting, upgraded mechanics, a better map with easier bad guy placement, more to see and do, and is just a lot of fun to play. If the game looks like fun to you, $60 is a very good price for what you are getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's almost 1/2 the characters, in an adventure story driven game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Keen
United States
Keenes
Il
flag msg tools
'Obvious' is the most dangerous word in mathematics. Eric Temple Bell
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
It's 4 heroes. and yeah it's pretty crappy without them and the extra adventure locations. It's like 8th summit learned nothing from agents of smersh ks.

Could you elaborate? I'm not familiar with Agents of Smersh KS but it's a game on my radar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the things for Defenders of the Realm. Definitely on the fence about getting this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trollkiing wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

Could you elaborate? I'm not familiar with Agents of Smersh KS but it's a game on my radar.

It's just they did the same thing with that game, and it created a huge uproar. 1/2 the characters were KS exclusive, in a story telling game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
I have all the things for Defenders of the Realm. Definitely on the fence about getting this one.

You and me both-not sure I'm interested in sinking money into a Defenders of the Realm clone, considering the amount I've sunk into DoTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Trollkiing wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

It's just they did the same thing with that game, and it created a huge uproar. 1/2 the characters were KS exclusive, in a story telling game.

but they later sold them in a kickstarter pack.. wonder if they'll do the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
Trollkiing wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

but they later sold them in a kickstarter pack.. wonder if they'll do the same.

I believe they said they would be sold sometime later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious about what you don't get for not backing the KS as well... I am all for KS campaigns being rewarding for backers but it's a fine line to walk where you don't upset either the backers or the eventual retail purchasers. Sounds like this missed the mark a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
theyve had it at this price for a while. i just got my copy but havent opened it yet. they say that theyll try to make the Ks styff available, and i figure even if it costs another 17 thats the same price as the ks. and another 25 would only be 7.50 more. a 4 mini box shouldnt be more than 20 with online discount and a 12 pack of cards would be 5 on the bgg store so im playing the odds that theyll actually release it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme looks really fun but I am already invested into Defenders of the Realm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the extra heroes are not Kickstarter exclusives, but you might have to buy the from 8th Summit at a con or off their website. IIRC they weren't planning on releasing to retail, but not Kickstarter exclusive either. You'll miss the extra heroes more than the adventure cards.

As for extra heroes, I'd suggest looking at the forums for the unofficial Mad Max, Imperator Furiosa and Immortan Joe cards.

Theme is great, and our group liked it better than Defenders of the Realm, which we already liked. If you like Richard Launius games like Defenders of the Realm, Arkham Horror or Elder Sign then this fits right in.

Gameplay is quite a bit different. This is certainly not a DotR re-theme. It is in the spirit of DotR, but very much a different game.

Production quality is really good. A few minor issues with the rulebook, but nothing seriously wrong or broken.

The mechanisms really do match the theme very well, and even the flavor text on the cards works nicely into the game. Sometimes flavor text feels burdensome. Like Battlestar Galactica it enhances the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you comment on the miniatures? I've heard they're not good.

rvinyard wrote:

Production quality is really good. A few minor issues with the rulebook, but nothing seriously wrong or broken.

The mechanisms really do match the theme very well, and even the flavor text on the cards works nicely into the game. Sometimes flavor text feels burdensome. Like Battlestar Galactica it enhances the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbeall88 wrote:

rvinyard wrote:

I think they are mostly fine for what they are, except for the heroe minis. They look blooby.
I disagree on the production. Cards are cut with a dull blade. There are entire rules on boss player boards, that were removed from the game and shouldn't be there. Nothing was proof read, errors are everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
rbeall88 wrote:

rvinyard wrote:

I think they are mostly fine for what they are, except for the heroe minis. They look blooby.
I disagree on the production. Cards are cut with a dull blade. There are entire rules on boss player boards, that were removed from the game and shouldn't be there. Nothing was proof read, errors are everywhere.

Sounds like I may be able to wait until it's a lot cheaper then. Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
rbeall88 wrote:

rvinyard wrote:

Sounds like I may be able to wait until it's a lot cheaper then. Thanks for the info.

I do think it's a fun game. Little too long for my tastes, but I liked it much better than Defenders of the Realm. Theme was good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbeall88 wrote:

rvinyard wrote:

Pretty much same as what Dustin said. Minis aren't bad. Not CMoN level, but I didn't expect it.

I've heard the hero minis have detail that's hard to see with the reflection and after priming and washing the detail is visible. I haven't looked that close and haven't primed mine yet.

Otherwise, all the raider minis are decent. There might be a few you'll have to take a hair dryer to. Especially the Earthers and their arrows.

Boss minis are pretty good, and I think would be spectacular if painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I liked it much better than Defenders of the Realm. Theme was good.

That was the consensus of our group as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Trollkiing wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

Chris .... the characters are not KS exclusives so you will be able to get them later if you want them.
I love this game ... its a no brainier if you love Mad Max and DOTR

By the way, Dustin is awesome, and his opinions of games are usually spot on, but he loves to hijack all threads that involve KS and tear them apart if they have any exclusive content.
He has gone on record many times saying he would not buy a game with said exclusive content even if the game was good (and by the way, he is right about Agents of Smersh - the extra content is important)(another example of that is Fallen), But take what he says about KS games with a grain of salt .
I myself love to hyjack all threads that involve KS and tear them apart if they do not have exclusive content.
You always pay a substantial premium for backing KS projects (I have over 100 under my belt - not sure how many Dustin has) so for that money if I DONT get something extra for it then I just wait for retail.
As a matter of fact, Defenders of the Last Stand is the the notable exception when it comes to premium price -- that was one of the reasons i backed it. Even with the huge discounted rate you mention in this thread, its only $5 less then the KS was (of course you had to pay around $15 shipping which I would get for free if I purchased the game by spending the required minimum on most sites but still a great KS price!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.