Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/2/enter-th...

This looks amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let the speculation begin:

In the second photo down,

- the three rows of cards look like locations to explore

- the row across the top could be a "boss monster" and effects or minions, and there seems to be an AI order of operations summary card on the right

- the cards with the circle-thingy facing up are your draw deck (not many cards in hand, it seems)

Wonder if we could get a readable close-up shot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
The location cards look like a grid of nine with the current location pulled aside. Two investigator markers show them present there, and they appear to be fighting a critter that has two HP tokens on it. Another card at that site seems to be an event card of some kind.

There appears to either be a Old One draw deck face down at the top, or else it is an Old One itself which has not yet been revealed?

Not sure what the backs of the player draw decks are supposed to show; right now it's like looking down the barrel of a .45 automatic...

I'm really liking what I've read of the campaign mode - it seems to make the game into a story series rather than a bunch of random events, but I wonder what it does to replayability? Can you attempt the same mission again like you can in LOTR, or do you take it as a loss and move on to the next one?

Personally, if the game avoids the completely non-canon "We must close the dimensional portals!" BS that the AH and EH (and now Cthulhu Pandemic) board games have used, I'll be very happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
30 card deck size.

Gives me hope each Mythos pack with be packed with 1/2 campaign stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryll F
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
The product page gives even more information and photos. Click on the Read More near the top in black.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this FFG's answer to Pathfinder the card game?

I am intrigued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noblejohn wrote:

I am intrigued.

I feel it is. With more flavor and no dice. I am buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
noblejohn wrote:

I am intrigued.

I feel it is. With more flavor and no dice. I am buying.

I agree. I think it's more like Apocrypha Adventure Card Game in theme though. And since I already backed and am waiting on Apocrypha, I may pass on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:

Not sure what the backs of the player draw decks are supposed to show; right now it's like looking down the barrel of a .45 automatic...

It looks to me like planets in alignment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
The card back is indeed planets, constellation type art.

The locations might be in a block, or each story might have a different layout, so it might be that the shape of the locations is as placed on the board.

Looks like at least one monster in another location.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/arkham-horror-lcg-show... this link has some bigger art on it too (linked from twitter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly bigger, can almost read somethings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No dice? Color me out of space and time. The card backs look cool, love the art. Not completely sure about it being an LCG, but I think that puts the game on stronger footing for support over being a board game with expansions (at least right now. I think a lot of the silence over popular FFG products are a function of the merger and design time. Gen Con will hopefully help with that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So for classes we have Survivor (red bird), Rogue (green snakes?), Guardian (blue shield), Seeker (yellow globe). So that just leave the purple, which I guess is arcane related given Agnes.

I like that stories seem to have the enemy agenda and the characters progress as seperate things, so you have to balance progress versus slowing down the agenda. Could lead to some interesting interactions with pairs of those cards.

Revelation I am guessing is like reckoning in EH, things trigger all revelation cards, so if you have a weakness in hand, that will trigger.

I have no idea what chaos tokens are. Maybe the red tokens have different backs on them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:
No dice? Color me out of space and time. The card backs look cool, love the art. Not completely sure about it being an LCG, but I think that puts the game on stronger footing for support over being a board game with expansions (at least right now. I think a lot of the silence over popular FFG products are a function of the merger and design time. Gen Con will hopefully help with that.)

I think your deck might be the dice, since your cards have skill icons on them that seem to make no sense, so I figure perhaps you discard cards from your deck and count the matching icons. Would make sense especially given the icons.

We saw a (green icon) (3) test on one card, so I guess that needs 3 successes, if it the same as the new Mountains of Madness tests.

Should make deck building quite interesting if true, since you can load a deck with low skill with a lot of cards with that icon to improve the chances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Russell
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's quite a lot more information available on the Arkham Horror: The Card Game product page on the Fantasy Flight website.

You can find it here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Dickson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You might be scarred by your adventures, your sanity may be strained, and you may alter Arkham's landscape, burning buildings to the ground. All your choices and actions have consequences that reach far beyond the immediate resolution of the scenario at hand.

I think it's these two sentences that have me most excited for this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Dreamshadow wrote:

I think your deck might be the dice, since your cards have skill icons on them that seem to make no sense, so I figure perhaps you discard cards from your deck and count the matching icons. Would make sense especially given the icons.

We saw a (green icon) (3) test on one card, so I guess that needs 3 successes, if it the same as the new Mountains of Madness tests.

Should make deck building quite interesting if true, since you can load a deck with low skill with a lot of cards with that icon to improve the chances.

I agree with you. Agnes Wendy´s special ability seems to point at existing another mechanic for discarding your cards besides playing them (otherwise it would make no sense) and we know health/sanity is handled with tokens. Some madness cards force you discard also, but I dont think that would be enough to make her card engine work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:

More speculation : the layout of the Location cards points at some form of different card map layout for each adventure, probably connecting locations in different forms and making for some very interesting movement mechanic, opening a lot of possibilities.

I am really looking forward to see some of the location cards to guess some more about how those work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's Agnes ability? Where can I read it?
Also, Wendy Adam's ability directly reference the chaos tokens bag. I think those will be the random element instead of dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the basic actions seem to be:

Move
Search
Fight
Draw

Still not sure how you pay for cards. I hope playing of cards is not somehow random or some sort of test you can fail, would be bad if it was.

I love Cover Up, if you don't deal with it you get some mental trauma at the end of the game (I presume this only matters for campaign mode)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vittek wrote:
What's Agnes ability? Where can I read it?
Also, Wendy Adam's ability directly reference the chaos tokens bag. I think those will be the random element instead of dice.

Sorry, I was referring to Wendy, and not her character card but her Amulet(have not been properly introduced to this characters yet )

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/95/ba...

If she is forced to put her played Events under her deck instead of discarding them and then also lets her play the topmost event on her discard pile, that means there is another mechanic for discarding player cards (and I believe its not just the madness cards or would be too harsh)

I dont think Chaos tokens are the ones, since the Blinding Light spell cards show some of the possible symbols they have and none correspond to player abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that would be way too many icons if it included skill icons in the bag too maybe. Though perhaps the contents of the bag depend on the scenario and or cards can add or remove tokens from the bag?

I think the elder sign symbol is something in the bag though. If you draw that you get +X depending on the character. Roland gets +1 for each clue on his location and Wendy gets +0, but can auto-pass the test if she has her amulet.

Ok, now I am even more convinced the elder sign is in the bag. Also that the ? icon on the cards means draw a chaos token (wendys amulet has 2 chaos icons in that case )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Also that the ? icon on the cards means draw a chaos token (wendys amulet has 2 chaos icons in that case )

Pure speculation or based on some hints?

I think your theory about drawing cards looking for abilities symbols could work but might not be the one. I just realized some cards don´t have any icon at all (Lucky event card)

Maybe its just a matter of having a difficulty number for each test, and then adding your related ability plus any card bonuses (like Revolver one)and then drawing one of the tokens for the random part of the test (thus the elder symbol effect in the character cards)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hunting nightgaunt says to double the negative modifier of a revealed chaos token. So I guess most chaos tokens are just numbers (positive and negative), which add or subtract from your test result, and some have special icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:
Also that the ? icon on the cards means draw a chaos token (wendys amulet has 2 chaos icons in that case )

Pure speculation or based on some hints?

I think your theory about drawing cards looking for abilities symbols could work but might not be the one. I just realized some cards don´t have any icon at all (Lucky event card)

Maybe its just a matter of having a difficulty number for each test, and then adding your related ability plus any card bonuses (like Revolver one)and then drawing one of the tokens for the random part of the test (thus the elder symbol effect in the character cards)?

Just guessing, but yeah, I agree, starting to doubt it now, but then I can't fathom a reason for the icons on any of the cards at all. I don't think they need tests to play, so maybe you can discard cards to add to tests (but then why not a number next to the icons on the cards?).

For me though, since Wendy seems to be based on chaos, her amulet letting her draw more chaos tokens just felt thematic to me.

If the chaos bag has mostly +/- then your stats being the base line makes sense, but the cards having the icons doesn't make much sense to me. They definitely don't just add to your skills or anything, as there are cards which do that (the magnifying glass)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.