Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I missed something, the game leaves it pretty much up to you to decide how the Alien Empire AI chooses which of your fleets to target. I don't mind this -- often it's obvious which target is the juiciest.

I'm curious as to what you use when it's not obvious which of your fleets poses the biggest threat. Usually I assign my fleets numbers and randomize with a dice. (If I have 2 DDs and 1 CA, I might assign rolls 1-6 to the DDs, 7-9 to the CA, and re-roll a 10.)

What method do you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How do YOU the AI's targets?
I shoot at what is the easiest to hit that has not fired yet in this round. If I am facing 1 CA and 2 DDs that have not fired yet I would ignore the CA until the DDs were dead. Every hit against a DD costs the other side 9 CPs. The most a hit on a CA can cost the other side is 6 CPs and if you allow it to escape with a hit on it then you have to start over the next time you face it. Say the CA takes 3 hits before it goes down. That means each hit only costs the other side 4 CPs. Shoot the DDs. 9 CPs of economic damage guaranteed. Plus you cut down on the number of dice the other side gets to throw at you quicker. This reduces the amount of damage that you will take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I hadn't thought about it in terms of CPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I determine it the same way I do my own - fuzzily! Hitting easy/small things is often good, it can remove or add the Fleet Size Bonus as well as what Oliver mentioned. But if I have a bunch of shots (say 6 CAs) I might shoot at CA before SC/DD, then when I have fewer I will only shoot at the CA if one is still damaged. Weigh the difficulty to hit versus the offence the ship in question has.

Against the AI I'm a bit less focused on the round count since they don't retreat, so it only matters for FSB. (For example, my CAs vs some BC + DD - after my shots both enemies will shoot once, so it doesn't matter which I shoot at first from that perspective).

When in doubt, have them shoot what you don't want them to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
rchandra wrote:
I determine it the same way I do my own - fuzzily! Hitting easy/small things is often good, it can remove or add the Fleet Size Bonus as well as what Oliver mentioned. But if I have a bunch of shots (say 6 CAs) I might shoot at CA before SC/DD, then when I have fewer I will only shoot at the CA if one is still damaged. Weigh the difficulty to hit versus the offence the ship in question has.

Yep, this is pretty much the mantra I follow as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.