Subject: How do you divide your asset decks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
So far, I have been able to divide the unique assets, condition and spell decks into smaller decks to make play easier, thanks to a variety of cheat sheets and D-sided dice. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to divide the asset deck.

The common answer I seem to find is Ally, Tasks/Services, Weapons, Trinkets/Tomes/Common Items. But the trait mixes in the deck is far too wide. There's regular trinkets but also weapon trinkets, magical items but also magical weapons, etc. There's even two different deck traits on the same card. Rolling a die in this case to draw from a certain deck seems almost pointless because if there's little cards with the matching trait from the deck you rolled to draw from, that significantly increases the chances to draw it; it may as well be a specific draw over a random one.

For those of you that don't have all your assets in one big deck and have them divided, how did you do it? What traits do you use to separate into smaller decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two decks and alternate which I pick from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Ahlstrøm Meyn Mathiassen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the purpose of splitting your assets deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think there are better alternatives than splitting up the asset deck via traits.
I have it in a small foam core compartment that uprights the cards. Therefore it can grow as large as it wants. I just draw from the front.
Splitting it up into multiple piles is also easier.

If you don't use a specific variant where you want to distinguish between different traits, I can't see the advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I have started doing (but haven't finished yet) is to scan, print out, and laminate all cards that are used as starting assets for the various investigators.

It is a pain in the neck to search the 100+ card Asset deck for the Mineralogy Research Asset when you pick Ursula mid-game as your replacement investigator. So I'd use these proxy cards instead; if the real copies come up, I can either replace the proxies or keep a second copy in the game (after all, the game doesn't break with two Axes in the deck, does it?).

For the rest of the Assets, I don't see the necessity of splitting them. The only deck I have split so far is the Conditions deck, which has grown humonguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
kimajakobsen wrote:

To remove the pain of having to search through a 120 card sleeved deck to find one specific card. And to prevent a tall deck from toppling and creating a mess.

DukeOfEarl wrote:
What I have started doing (but haven't finished yet) is to scan, print out, and laminate all cards that are used as starting assets for the various investigators.

It is a pain in the neck to search the 100+ card Asset deck for the Mineralogy Research Asset when you pick Ursula mid-game as your replacement investigator. So I'd use these proxy cards instead; if the real copies come up, I can either replace the proxies or keep a second copy in the game (after all, the game doesn't break with two Axes in the deck, does it?).

For the rest of the Assets, I don't see the necessity of splitting them. The only deck I have split so far is the Conditions deck, which has grown humonguous.

Creating print outs is something I considered... but I gotta figure there's a lot of moments where a specific card is called out. That's a lot of prints. X3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrick Strauss
South Africa
flag msg tools
kimajakobsen wrote:

Normally I'd say nothing other than having maybe making it easier to handle.

However if all your cards are sleeved the tall deck can and does slide all over the place. Sure you can just cut the deck in half and have two piles, but I've split my deck into four stacks based on thematic reasons.

Stack 1 - mundane weapons and items. Anything normal and non-magical goes in here. Even Trinket trait items that are weapons - like the .18 Derringer.

Stack 2 - All arcane and magical items. From a Blessed Holy Spear to a Lucky Rabbits' Foot. If there is something mystical about it it goes in here.

Stack 3 - All character and ally cards. Simple enough

Stack 4 - Services, Tasks etc.

This makes thematic sense for me that the piles represent a weapons' shop, mystic emporium, tavern/bar and guild halls. This also makes all the decks very manageable when sleeved. They stay put. Also simple to find any item if you are told to retrieve it. For random cards I just roll a dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss the app that someone made that randomized all the decks. If you just needed any random Asset, it would pick one for you. But even better, you could specify certain traits and it would pick a random one of those for you. Plus, it maintained the deck so that it always knew what cards were currently in it. So I could take out the Mineralogy Research asset and it would know not to pick that one in the future.

Then you could just keep all of your decks alphabetized and easily pull out the cards as you need them.

However, FFG asked him to take the app down because it wasn't licensed, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Hutchinson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I have never thought about this before, how do you replenish the shop? Draw from whatever pile you want?

And since I had never thought about this, most all decks are supposed to be totally random right? Like the spells should all be shuffled and then when it says to gain a non-incantation spell you just go down till you find one?

I do think its a good idea to separate the conditions though because that doesn't matter because it always tells you to take a specific one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People have various ways of doing this. One is to separate the Assets into a few different types and if you need a random Asset, like for replenishing the Reserve, you roll a die to determine which stack to draw from.

Or I've seen other people that always have Weapons in the first slot of the reserve, Allies in the second slot, Trinkets in the third slot, etc. This ensures that there's always a Weapon available, for example, and not just four Allies.

Personally, I don't separate out the Assets. I like randomness (well, look at my username). For Spells and Conditions, I would like to have them completely random all the time, but in practicality, I just do this to save time:

1. Draw from the bottom until I find the card type I'm looking for.
2. Take the other cards, shuffle them a little and stack them on top of their deck.
3. Cut the deck somewhere near the middle.

The cards I placed on top will have less of a chance of getting drawn the next time I need a card from that deck, but after a few times doing this, I feel that they are sufficiently mixed around for my purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Hutchinson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Separating out the asset deck kind of feels like cheating. Especially when people like Wendy are in play where you can gain a trinket, or Leo with allies, it would feel like a handicap for me if there was always one available. This way, if there is crap in there, it forces me to go shopping to go through more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeOfEarl wrote:

Between games I'll baggie any asset cards that are investigator starting equipment with the investigator. Or, rather, since this ends up being bulky, I'll do this first, then separate investigator sheets by expansion, then put them with their beginning items, and some health and sanity tokens, into a single baggie. Base game investigators separate into spellcasters and non-spellcasters. New players play non-spellcasters from the base game.

The asset cards (and some other components) I'll separate by expansion. This worked fine with AH as well. During play, I'll keep the expansion and base decks separate. If you're a new player, you draw from the base deck. If you're an experienced player, you draw from the expansion deck. Players who have a strong opinion of how to draw cards can do as they'd like (with Charlie Kane, if you're going to distribute assets and any of the other players are new, you may wish to draw from the base game deck). I usually play at Meetups, so we often have a mix of new and experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Mason
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play the game very vanilla-ey, with almost no variants (aside from Preludes and rule leniency on card-reading and additional dice).

For the small card decks:
together: Assets, Spells, Artifacts
separated to smaller decks: Unique Assets, Conditions

For the latter two, they are always referred to by trait, or by specific card (e.g. gain an INJURY Condition, gain the Constance Hawberk Unique Asset), so it's easier to look for those cards if they are already separated by trait or something.

The other three however are most likely to be referred to randomly (e.g. Gain 1 Spell, gain 1 Artifact), so they must be together at all times.

But having the base + 5 expansions have really blown up the size of those decks (sans Artifacts), so I just cut them into two decks and choose whatever whenever, and randomly shuffle them from time to time.

For the reserve with the Asset deck, the most useful (albeit unattempted for me) variant I've seen is separating the Asset deck into 4: WEAPON, ALLY, SERVICE, everything else. As from the above replies, it could be helpful to mix TASK Assets with the SERVICE ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Many people seem to have different opinions. Here's a question I think could help us all...

Is there a current list of traits that are called out at least once to be gained? For example, "Gain 1 weapon asset", "Gain 1 magical asset", "Gain one relic asset", etc. Is there a card that calls for at least one item of each trait that makes up the asset deck. If not, it could make splitting the deck easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
I understand the desire to separate the conditions or spells, but not the asset deck. What do you do when you need to refill the asset reserve? How do you decide which asset deck to pull from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrick Strauss
South Africa
flag msg tools
Wyndam22 wrote:
I understand the desire to separate the conditions or spells, but not the asset deck. What do you do when you need to refill the asset reserve? How do you decide which asset deck to pull from?

If it calls for a truly random card I roll a dice. 1-4 is deck 1-4. 6 is rollers choice and 5 reroll.

When I have to replenish I just reshuffle the discards back into the deck.

With all the expansions all the decks are quite meaty already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I devide them into four stacks.

1. Allies
2. Sevices
3. Non magical assets
4. Assets with magic properties

Works wonderfully. The four stacks also fits with the four space in the map for ready to acquire assets. Getting to investigators starting assets is a breeze too.

Same for spells, devided into incantation and ritual stacks. I recently just bought sign of carcosa expansion, and it comes with a new spell category, now I'm confused which category should I put it in.

Not to mention the growing condition cards. Now aside from injuries, madness, deal, boon, detained, bane, now I got talent too. Sorting the condition cards has proven to speed up gameplay, but with this growing type of cards, I'm having trouble deviding them up, not to mention the table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Boris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are several cards that have you draw an asset. It is suppose to be random, so which deck do you draw from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they roll a die!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Boris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A four sided die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amosboris wrote:
A four sided die?

Umm... Maybe try to ignore the 5 and 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why so complicated?

What if you would just roll again if you would roll a 5/6...

No four sided die is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the four decks pretty even in size? If not, that will skew the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp

Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
msg tools
I sort mine into Ally, Service and Task, Weapons, everything else. But yes, the everything else pile is much larger than the other piles and even with a weapon stack I still find I have trouble gearing anyone up enough to fight monsters consistently. Those are the two main issues I see.

I generally lose because I can never kill any monsters so I can never close any gates. But anyway I'm not sure there is a perfect way to sort the assets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I have the tasks/services and allies separated into 2 decks, but I pretty much gave up on the remaining cards. I have them together into 1 deck. I tried putting all magical items and weapons in 2 separate decks, but the combinations of magical weapons, magical trinkets, magical tomes, magical relics made it difficult with cards that are tome-trinket, relic-weapon, etc. So instead, with an 8-sided die, I have 1-2 for allies, 3-4 for tasks and service, and 5-8 for everything else. At least with about half the total asset cards organized, it shouldn't take as long to search through the one big deck for a specific card. But it's still annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.