Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we know:

* The new version is in a larger square box (10x10x2, nearly Ticket to Ride size. Nearly.).
* Mostly new art
* Many female characters.
* The role cards are physically larger. The building cards are normal card size.
* People have an appetite for shorter, punchier games. Therefore, gameplay now lasts until 7 buildings (down from 8), and there are several effects that allow for multiple building purchases in a turn.
* Some purples have been added and some have been removed. New ones include: Necropolis, the Statue, the Basilica and the Theatre.
* 27 character classes, 3 for each numerical position (1-9).
* 9 new characters: Magistrate, Blackmailer, Spy, Seer, Patrician, Cardinal, Trader, Scholar, and Marshal.
* Some existing classes have been modified because of a general feeling that some classes were too complicated, too busy, or generated too much gold (or were unbalanced in some way).
* Focus on keeping the core gameplay the same as it was before.
* 2 player rules remain the same but there are minor changes to the 3 player rules (source: comment section of article).
* In the images you can see that there are character tiles. I assume this is a visual reminder for what characters are in any given game. More necessary now that there are 27 characters.
* To be released in Q4, MSRP $29.99.
* Eight characters from the original Citadels, ten from the Dark City expansion, nine new characters, thirty unique building districts.
* Includes six preset lists of characters and districts beyond the starter list, each crafted to encourage a different style and intensity of gameplay.
* It's fine to play with a random selection of heroes (Source: comment section).
* The icons are to make the game colorblind friendly (icon has a graphic as well as the colour similar to Ticket To Ride colour sets)
* This is known as the "Windrider edition".
* Thirty unique districts (purple), twelve are new.

Characters known (Origin by colour: Original, Dark City, New):
1: Assassin, Witch, Magistrate
2: Thief, Blackmailer, Spy
3: Magician, Wizard, Seer
4: King, Emperor, Patrician
5: Bishop, Abbot, Cardinal
6: Merchant, Alchemist, Trader
7: Architect, Navigator, Scholar
8: Warlord, Diplomat, Marshal
9: Artist, Queen, Tax Collector*

*Card text has changed.

Known purple buildings:
* Necropolis (5) You can build the Necropolis if you destroy one of your own buildings instead of paying the cost.
* Statue (3) If you have the crown at the end of the game score 5 points.
* Thieves Den (6) Pay some or all of the cost with cards from your hand instead.
* Basilica
* Theatre (6) At the end of each selection phase, you may exchange your chosen character card with an opponents character card.
* Dragon Gate (6) At the end of the game, score 2 extra points.
* Museum (4) Once per turn, assign 1 card from your hand facedown under the Museum. At the end of the game score 1 extra point for every card under the Museum.
* Park (6) If there are no cards in your hand at the end of your turn, gain 2 cards.
* Framework (1) You can destroy Framework to build a district instead of paying it's cost.
* Armoury (3) Destroy the Armoury to destroy another district of your choice.
* Ivory Tower (5) If the Ivory Tower is the only unique (purple) building in your city at the end of the game, score +5 points.
* Poor House (4) If you have 0 gold, gain 1 gold.
* Imperial Treasury (5) At the end of the game, score 1 point for each gold you have.
* School of Magic (6) Functions as any coloured district for income purposes.
* Capitol (5) If you have 3 districts of the same type at the end, score +3 points.
* Great Wall (6) Rank 8 characters must pay +1 gold to target any other building you own.
* Laboratory (5) Discard 1 card for 2 gold.
* Haunted Quarter (2) Counts as any district type at end of game.
* Smithy (5) Pay 2 gold gain 3 cards.
* Factory (5) Unique (purple) buildings cost 1 less gold.

Purple buildings change how the game is played. The inclusion or absence of the cards have a decent impact. The standard Green, Yellow, Red, Blue buildings are unchanged.

Sources:
http://faidutti.com/blog/?p=6048
https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2016/7/29/the-most-magnificen...
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205398/citadels-2016-edi...
http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35135/bruno-faiduttis-cit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_7FyPUUiUI
https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2016/9/9/a-passing-acquaintan...
https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2016/9/23/imagining-cities/
https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2016/10/26/haunted-quarters-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
This user is a professional crastinator
badge
This user is a professional crastinator
mb
I wonder if the 15 circus action cards from the German 2012 reissue will be in this one as well.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1852102/ohne-furcht-und-a...

Because Hans-im-Glück made those themselves, without any input from Bruno Faidutti.

However, they missed the opportunity to make a complete edition containing all the content from the Dark City expansion (like Fantasy Flight did).

And even worse, they seemed to have deliberately disregarded the expansion, because they don't mention any rules conflicts that come up with the expansion characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno said in his blog post that he felt that the Circus additions didn't add much to the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the cut. That being said, it's entirely possible that a few good ones make it, or as you say, even the whole set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chase
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
I liked this game, but it took too long to play, especially with more than 4-5 players. Hopefully the streamlining changes (beyond just "play to 7 instead of 8" work well. To
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way of using the new streamlined rules with the old edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

We don't know all of the changes yet, but you could certainly play to 7 buildings instead of 8 for a shorter game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

Bruno wrote:
This is why a game of Citadels is now played until someone has seven districts and not eight, and it’s also why several of the new card effects allow players to build more than one district per turn. Without changing any of the core rules, we’ve made the Citadels game experience more fun and more dynamic—but just as ruthless as ever.

Emphasis mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
[q="MrMT"]Is there a way of using the new streamlined rules with the old edition?

Bruno]This is why a game of Citadels is now played until someone has seven districts and not eight, and it’s also why several of the new card effects allow players to build more than one district per turn. Without changing any of the core rules, we’ve made the Citadels game experience more fun and more dynamic—but just as ruthless as ever.[/q wrote:

Emphasis mine.

Yes. It does seem like a significant update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I hope some of the Dark Cities cards get slightly tweaked. I like that Bruno has remarked that he wasn't completely happy with the expansion classes. I tend to agree that they had a different feel about them. They were more advanced and didn't feel inline with the originals.

I am excited to learn about the classes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vip_chicken wrote:

* The new version is in a larger square box (10x10x2, nearly Ticket to Ride size. Nearly.).

This looks like a game that will need a "small box" treatment, i.e. cutting the box into a more suitable size, and re gluing it together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Info on the classic edition may contain some info, I've spotted at least one difference to the original here too:

https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2016/8/1/the-foundation-of-yo...

I'd presume any changes to cards included in both editions will be consistent between the two editions and that classic will be a subset of the 2016 edition though this is speculation.

Looking at the components section of the 2016 edition could prompt some speculation too...
Quote:
27 character cards
84 district cards
6 reference cards
30 gold plastic pieces
32 tokens
Rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vip_chicken wrote:
The standard Green, Yellow, Red, Blue buildings are likely unchanged, have low impact, and I've decided not to list them.

We know there are thirty unique building districts & 84 district cards total. Therefore there are 54 standard districts. The original (excluding dark city) had 66 district cards, 12 of which were purple which gives the same number of standard districts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hopefully they've eliminated the extra setup step of swapping out purple cards to make setup (and break down) go quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
Hopefully they've eliminated the extra setup step of swapping out purple cards to make setup (and break down) go quicker.

I never found that much of a problem with the old edition. I didn't remove the purple districts after each game. I think I occasionally removed a couple from the deck and added different ones in for variety.

This is what the announcement says about preset lists - it's clear the preset lists don't include all the purple districts:

Quote:
The rulebook offers six preset lists of characters and districts beyond the starter list, each crafted to encourage a different style and intensity of gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone who has played the game perhaps comment on what the new characters powers are, and what number position they occupy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vip_chicken wrote:
Can someone who has played the game perhaps comment on what the new characters powers are, and what number position they occupy?

Not until it's public. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a video up which spoils three districts. Dragon Gate, Museum & Theatre. The first photo on Bruno's blog has a game being played and looks like it might have previously unrevealed district too though the power is unreadable and I'm not sure if the many if readable if you don't know what it says so someone will have to post the name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

It's possible, but not without a lot of re-working. A significant minority of cards have been changed/removed/added, so you need to find a way to do that without changing the physical appearance of any new cards you use.

Was involved in playtesting, so can't say much more without breaking NDA.

All I can say is in our opinion, v.2 is essentially a slightly improved, slightly faster version of v.1 with more options for characters. (In other words, I can't really say anything you didn't already know!)

If only they hadn't butchered the artwork! (IMHO)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw man I love the artwork! ^__________^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the 11th page of the rule book still suddenly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
vip_chicken wrote:
The standard Green, Yellow, Red, Blue buildings are likely unchanged, have low impact, and I've decided not to list them.

We know there are thirty unique building districts & 84 district cards total. Therefore there are 54 standard districts. The original (excluding dark city) had 66 district cards, 12 of which were purple which gives the same number of standard districts.

Wait, so will there be more buildings with this game or will the original+expansion have more buildings?

Also any updated play testers with thoughts on 6/7/8p?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new one has more districts, 30 unique vs 24 purple I think (though 2 purples were duplicates).

I don't think I ever played the old version with 6p or more (and didn't really want to) but did play the new one with 6 using a custom list of roles & buildings my wife & I picked to play fast. It was good fun. I think the version will handle higher player counts better than old one. I'll post our list once the game is out and possibly some more detailed thoughts on why I like the new version better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
The new one has more districts, 30 unique vs 24 purple I think (though 2 purples were duplicates).

I don't think I ever played the old version with 6p or more (and didn't really want to) but did play the new one with 6 using a custom list of roles & buildings my wife & I picked to play fast. It was good fun. I think the version will handle higher player counts better than old one. I'll post our list once the game is out and possibly some more detailed thoughts on why I like the new version better.

Great, and is it colorblind friendly? That is purple has a unique symbol, red has a unique symbol, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just watched the video with Bruno Faidutti and Windrider Games. The did make the game color-blind friendly.

There are examples of the cards, too, so you can see the icons for the different districts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone comment on the "minor changes to the rules for 3 players"?

I've found that 2 players is not much fun, and I think 3 players is a bit iffy. Some kind of rules tweak to improve 3 player games would be very welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.