Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Ok to add the Characters from expansions to base game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I have quite a few of the available expansions, but haven't had a chance to play much of the game itself. My idea was to incorporate the Reaper in and then over time bring in the other small box and large box expansions. My question though, is this: Can I at least bring in the new characters from each expansion without include the expansion they came from? Or would even just that screw up the flow/balance of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Balance? In Talisman?

In short, yes you can add the characters to the base game. It's possible that some of them have powers or abilities that may be over or under-powered in some contexts. If anything bothers you, house rule it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyem24 wrote:
Can I at least bring in the new characters from each expansion without include the expansion they came from? Or would even just that screw up the flow/balance of the game?

Most characters will function fine using just the base game. I don't think there are any that get 'better', but there are a couple that get worse, or need tweaks (this is NOT a complete list)
*Cat Burglar (City) loses out on the extra City shops.
*Chivalric Knight/Dread Knight (Sacred Pool) So long as you allow them their starting Horses, nothing is really lost.
*Tavern Maid (City) is similar to the Knights above in that she starts with expansion-specific cards.
*Most of the characters from The Dragon expansion lose something due to the lack of Dragons/Dragon Lords, with Dragon Rider likely losing access to ALL abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
nyem24 wrote:
Can I at least bring in the new characters from each expansion without include the expansion they came from? Or would even just that screw up the flow/balance of the game?

Most characters will function fine using just the base game. I don't think there are any that get 'better', but there are a couple that get worse, or need tweaks (this is NOT a complete list)
*Chivalric Knight/Dread Knight (Sacred Pool) So long as you allow them their starting Horses, nothing is really lost.
*Tavern Maid (City) is similar to the Knights above in that she starts with expansion-specific cards.
*Most of the characters from The Dragon expansion lose something due to the lack of Dragons/Dragon Lords, with Dragon Rider likely losing access to ALL abilities.

Actually I don't have the Dragon expansion so it looks like I should be fairly ok with the others. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
nyem24 wrote:

This was the advice I was gonna give.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.