Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Poulin
United States
Ludlow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well I am a newb as far as War games go.
Here is a list of games I own.

Conflict of Heroes Awakening the bear.
Heroes of Normany LNL
Combat Commander Europe
Heroes of Normandie
Axis and Allies 1942 Second Edition
Dust Tactics - miniature game
1775 - Academy games
1812 - " "

So these games I know are good games and I can't wait to play them for the first time even though some of them I bought a few years ago.
My problem is I can't seem to find anyone willing to play them with me " Wow that actually sounds really sad "

Whenever I ask someone to play and they find out it's a war game I get the deer in headlights look.

Do most of you guys end up playing games solo or are you fortunate enough to have a pal or two to play with?

So I meant to say Wargamers don't exist.... Near me. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one best wargaming buddy with whom I play around twice a month, and three or four more who also play, but not as regularly. I consider myself lucky!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I have one best wargaming buddy with whom I play around twice a month, and three or four more who also play, but not as regularly. I consider myself lucky!

Do you have (or had) Boscovs out your way? Did it plant the seeds of AH and SPI titles?

Ours in Susquehanna Valley did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Do you have (or had) Boscovs out your way? Did it plant the seeds of AH and SPI titles?

Boscovs moved out to western PA much later. My first wargames were purchased in a Thrift Drug store in our local mall - Tactics II, Midway, and Gettysburg! Just think about that - I could actually buy real hex-and-counter wargames at the drug store in the mall. Different times, that's for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When all else fails

http://www.vassalengine.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took a long time for me to find other wargamers in Auckland, New Zealand. There's maybe 5 people spread out across the country who play OCS. Perhaps 10 more who play other wargames (e.g. CDGs, ASL, etc.). It took a lot of hunting down on BoardGameGeek and ConsimWorld to find fellow wargamers.

Four of us get together once a week to play full campaign scenarios of OCS. Currently we're into the start of Turn 2 for The Blitzkrieg Legend, Full Campaign with Holland. Of course, as mentioned above, there's always VASSAL. I recommend you play live with chat over Skype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the Lost Harbor wargame store in Westfield?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rich
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
1775 is the choice for a newbie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I shouldn't have fallen for the clickbait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

Thumb for Susquehanna Valley! Former Lancastrian here.

To answer the OP's question, I play Face to Face with 3-5 others (usually 3), ideally once a week, but life does get in the way from time to time. Also have started playing by ACTS/Vassal. I've tried playing solo in the distant past, but it really just isn't my thing. I will try The Hunters at some point though, and I picked up Source of the Nile minutes ago, although that isn't really a wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Boscovs moved out to western PA much later. My first wargames were purchased in a Thrift Drug store in our local mall - Tactics II, Midway, and Gettysburg! Just think about that - I could actually buy real hex-and-counter wargames at the drug store in the mall. Different times, that's for sure!

I hear you! Our local (yes, local, non-chain) drug store had several AH titles on an end-cap one fine summer day. It was probably around 1981. They rarely stocked toys, just the basics like those generic tiddly-winks, rubber ball on paddle, and some Revel model kits. Anyway, I knew about wargames from a very early age (perhaps five), because my older brother's copy of PanzerBlitz was left unopened in our basement storage closet... he didn't take to it, so just put it away for regifting at some point. His loss was my gain. I became hooked on everything AH, even though I didn't have a clue what it was about.

Anyways, about the time I was getting into wargames in my early tweens (12?), walked into the Sun Ray and blammo! War at Sea, Jutland, Anzio, and Bismarck were sitting there... unloved. I grabbed a copy of Bis and phoned some friends when I got back home. We didn't need Boscovs, because we had Sun Ray.

But Boscovs really was my first dealer (of games), because they had an impressive column of both SPI soapbox and AH bookshelf titles. It was a neglected little part of the store, between appliances, men's clothing, and records. Thousands of people walked by it each day, but because it was hidden behind a pillar, nobody but us in the know knew it was there. Like easter eggs and chocolate just for us.

Those trips to Boscovs were where the addiction was fed. Then I just started mainlining directly via Hartford Road, through nice telephone calls or fill-out and mail order forms.

Oh, the smell of that box when it was opened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Thumb for Susquehanna Valley! Former Lancastrian here.

To answer the OP's question, I play Face to Face with 3-5 others (usually 3), ideally once a week, but life does get in the way from time to time. Also have started playing by ACTS/Vassal. I've tried playing solo in the distant past, but it really just isn't my thing. I will try The Hunters at some point though, and I picked up Source of the Nile minutes ago, although that isn't really a wargame.

Shamokinian, myself.

Love the Lancaster area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxicjedi wrote:
Whenever I ask someone to play and they find out it's a war game I get the deer in headlights look.

Stop telling them they're "wargames." Instead, tell them they're games loosely based on historical events that allow you to experiment with alternate timeline outcomes. Only after you're done should you reveal that they've been playing a "wargame" (at which point you can give your best sinister laugh).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxicjedi wrote:

So I meant to say Wargamers don't exist.... Near me. LOL

The last time I looked into this for someone - and found a wargame club half an hour's drive from his place - I got a "nah, I don't want to drive somewhere, I want people to show up at my place and play my games"

So - how eager are you to play wargames ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
designer
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stephen,

I can really sympathize with your situation. I moved last year from an area where I had steady face-to-face gamers to what seems like a wargaming wasteland.

Using BGG I reached out to a lot of local gamers, and got some "no, I don't play wargames," responses, but also a few who were interested.

Through persistence a year later there are five guys in the local area and 3 more within an hour who are either playing wargames or interested.

For me, getting Commands & Colors: Napoleonics was a big help. It's attracted two new players who had only played euros before.

Stick in there, and good luck on finding a local gamer! BGG is a huge help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Poulin
United States
Ludlow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Absolute genius sir, this is exactly what i need to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Poulin
United States
Ludlow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I dont mind driving at all... within reason of course.... and i am aware of several game/wargame stores around but the only buzz at these stores are people playing 40K "not interested" or Magic the Gathering.
So here in lies my frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Poulin
United States
Ludlow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks , I will keep looking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it's not on your doorstep, I know that Chris Buhl, a BGG user in Pittsfield, plays wargames. He might also know about others in Western Massachusetts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxicjedi wrote:
I dont mind driving at all...

I recall the gamers of central Iowa, the hardest of the hard, who think nothing of a lonely 90-min round trip for a quick game of Love Letter.

http://www.umass.edu/rso/ghl/

I think this means Amherst...and just for fun:

http://www.umass.edu/history/people/index.html

This took me about 9 nanoseconds. I see you are next to a reserve airforce base, which admittedly means the officers will be communists with two degrees, but if you can get past that its promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Lance
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I count twelve coming in from starboard, Admiral.
badge
Fourteen from port side, sir!
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the SPI days, when wargame print runs were large and there were a lot more wargame purchasers, Strategy & Tactics did a survey of its subscribers. The results indicated that 90% of wargamers only play solitaire, as I recall.

Which can explain the puzzling phenomenon of discovering that wargamers exist in your area, yet there don't seem to be any players around.

I recall putting an ad up in a shop many years ago, before BGG existed. I went into the shop later to get a game, and saw a copy of a wargame sitting behind the counter. It had been ordered by someone - someone who was not interested in answering an ad for local wargamers, obviously.

But yes it is possible to use BGG's zip code and city searches to look for wargamers in towns and cities around you. Never worked for me but I helped a friend find a local opponent that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
As a publisher I sell wargames to people living near me that I have never heard of. Very strange but there really are more players out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aldinger
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Go here. See what they have in their collections then geekmail them.

https://boardgamegeek.com/findgamers.php?action=findclosestf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I don't exist. I was wondering what was wrong with me, but now I know: I don't exist. I feel much better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxicjedi wrote:
Well I am a newb as far as War games go.
Here is a list of games I own.

Conflict of Heroes Awakening the bear.

There is an excellent solo-designed expansion for this:
Eastern Front solo

Also, there are some excellent solo-designed wargames such as Struggle for the Galactic Empire.

Perhaps in lieu of playing opposed you could go in that direction too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.