BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New to tabletop gaming, looking to expand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Basler
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
First time posting here but I really wanted some advice. So far my wife and I have played Elder Sign, Pandemic, Ghost Stories and Forbidden Island. So far it's been fun these were games suggested to me mostly by friends of mine and we enjoyed each of these so far.

I'm trying to keep it mostly co-op right now and the ability to set it up for single player as well. We have tight schedules so we aren't looking for anything that would take more than 2-3 hours to play.

I guess I'm looking for a bit more depth and story than what we have played so far but still keeping it a bit light. We don't mind a challenge as long as the game and story is engaging.

I'm not sure how interested my wife would be in deck building games so I'm keeping those off the table for now to try some later if she's interested. After playing Elder Sign she said she preferred having the board because there was simply more going on and seemed more engaging to her.

I'm open to basically any suggestions right now. Looking to build a good library with some variety but can be played in a few hours that sets up well for solo and two players. Thanks so much, I've found this site super useful for jumping in to our first few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead Men Tell No Tales is a great co-op
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape: The Curse of the Temple ticks a lot of your boxes. Works great in two player, but you can also play one player. It's a real-time co-op that plays in ten minutes (replayability is big here).

I find the story/theme pretty engaging, but it is a lighter game, at least in time investment. You can buy additional expansions to level up the difficulty -- the quests in particular add to the story and let you fine-tune the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
For something with good story, still fairly light and a little different than what you have, I would recommend Mice and Mystics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DONALD WALTERS
United States
KENT
OH
flag msg tools
Dungeons and Dragons dungeons crawl series

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66356/dungeons-dragons-w...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/59946/dungeons-dragons-c...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/91872/dungeons-dragons-l...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/172220/dungeons-dragons-...

As a bonus they are cross compatible with each other.

Or maybe Zombicide: Black Plague(longer setup time)

Castle Panic and Dark Titan expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cloudsurfer45 wrote:
I guess I'm looking for a bit more depth and story than what we have played so far but still keeping it a bit light.

I'm struggling to suggest something because of this sentence. I sort of feel like Pandemic and Elder Sign is about as 'deep' as you can go while still calling it a 'light' game.

I'll +1 Dead Men Tell No Tales but I feel like its very similar to the games you mentioned, and might be just the trick, but not if you're looking to try some new things. It is a fun game though.

The Big Book of Madness has a deck-building element, but also a board to track the current monster, active curses and other things. Might be a good game to try and see if deck-building is fun for you while still having a board.

Apocalypse Chaos is a nice tactical game, similar to ghost stories in premise, but I find it gives many more interesting decisions.

I haven't played it myself, but I often hear Burgle Bros. mentioned favorably as a game that is a step deeper than Forbidden Desert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Tolkien: Lord of the Rings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Basler
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
cafin8d wrote:
cloudsurfer45 wrote:
I guess I'm looking for a bit more depth and story than what we have played so far but still keeping it a bit light.

I'm struggling to suggest something because of this sentence. I sort of feel like Pandemic and Elder Sign is about as 'deep' as you can go while still calling it a 'light' game.

The plan with Elder Sign was to see how it played to familiarize myself with some of the core mechanics to use as a stepping stone into other Arkham games. I liked the aesthetic very much but looking at Arkham Horror seemed like it would be a bit intimidating to jump into right away. The length of AH is also a concern so I am already planning on picking up Eldritch Horror, which seems to occupy this sweet spot between the two offering more story and game play options than Elder Sign, but also stripping down AH into a more digestible package.

*Edit* Elder Sign though is a great solo game. It's basically been my new solitaire with quick setup and easy rules.

I guess I would be looking to get bumped up into a more moderate category and am definitely interested in some RPGs. Mice and Mystics sounded amazing but sadly I have not been able to track down an affordable copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Voyage of the Beagle (Vol. 1) though it is a bit on the heavier side. I suggest to watch some videos (Ricky Royal has done a nice series) to decide whether it meets your taste.
It may look a bit overwhelming, but it is not that complicated once you get a grip of the game flow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
Legends of Andor and Mysterium are both really solid cooperative games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DONALD WALTERS
United States
KENT
OH
flag msg tools
Other possibilities:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146791/shadows-brimstone...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/150997/shadows-brimstone...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/150376/dead-winter-cross...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/193037/dead-win...

Shadows of Brimstone has a similar setting as AH. It also allows you to use the same character as they gains exp and items after every play. It can be difficult and may play better if you each ran 2 characters. Provides a decent narrative as well.

Dead of winter has plenty on the table to keep your interest and a good narrative through events and other cards. Albeit a bit dark. Also, with 2 players you would want to use optional rule of no traitor mechanic and pure Co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two co=ops I can recommend:

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is a great co-op game with a lot of replayability, solos fine, and has great narrative. The rulebook isn't great, but I'm sure there are other resources that can get you going.

Burgle Bros. is a good one because it's a co-op that doesn't follow the "whack-a-mole" design, where each round you have to figure out what current problem needs attending to the most. The games you listed generally fall into that pattern, so this would bring you into a new area while still keeping a lot of what you already like.

I also really enjoy Pandemic: The Cure. But I like dice a bunch.

Finally, if you enjoy Pandemic and want some more narrative, definitely consider Pandemic Legacy: Season 1. It's a great experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DONALD WALTERS
United States
KENT
OH
flag msg tools
Legomancer wrote:
Two co=ops I can recommend:

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is a great co-op game with a lot of replayability, solos fine, and has great narrative. The rulebook isn't great, but I'm sure there are other resources that can get you going.

Burgle Bros. is a good one because it's a co-op that doesn't follow the "whack-a-mole" design, where each round you have to figure out what current problem needs attending to the most. The games you listed generally fall into that pattern, so this would bring you into a new area while still keeping a lot of what you already like.

I also really enjoy Pandemic: The Cure. But I like dice a bunch.

Finally, if you enjoy Pandemic and want some more narrative, definitely consider Pandemic Legacy: Season 1. It's a great experience.

The 2ND edition of RC is up for pre-order on Coolstuff and is supposed to have upgraded components and a completely redone rulebook to address and the issues people were having.

Edit: corrected auto-correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Welcome!

You should try this gem of a solo/coop game: Sentinels of the Multiverse

Have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aldinger
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rood Bird
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donlwjr76 wrote:

The 2ND edition of RC is up for pre-order on Coolstuff and is supposed to have upgraded components and a completely redone Tylenol to address and the issues people were having.

What on earth does this mean?

I've tried googling Tylenol and all I can find is some American brand of paracetamol.

I know some people complain that the rules give them a headache but they're not literally that bad surely?

RB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome meeple

Might be a bit obvious, but Forbidden Desert is a good step up from Island. Won't add anything in terms of story, but it's definitely more challenging and most people don't return to island after playing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DONALD WALTERS
United States
KENT
OH
flag msg tools
roodbird wrote:
donlwjr76 wrote:

The 2ND edition of RC is up for pre-order on Coolstuff and is supposed to have upgraded components and a completely redone Tylenol to address and the issues people were having.

What on earth does this mean?

I've tried googling Tylenol and all I can find is some American brand of paracetamol.

I know some people complain that the rules give them a headache but they're not literally that bad surely?

RB

Lol. Sorry typing on my phone. Auto-correct changed rulebook to Tylenol for some reason and I didn't notice. No, the rules aren't bad enough to induce headaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe

Flashpoint

Marvel legendary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Cowley
msg tools
I play with my kids and love co-op for that reason.

Castle Panic was suggested and I love it. Not a heavy strategy game but fun. The intensity as you draw new monsters is great some combos get interesting. The expansions add for more intensity. But overall a light fun game about an hour long. Star Trek Panic looks awesome new dynamics. Includes solo play.

For fillers we use Love Letter any version light easy non-co op but fun. Cheap under $10 not solo playable.

Roll For It also fun filler dice roller. You can find the solo version out there to mix in with the deluxe set up to 8 players. Non co-op though but fun and light.

Those are just some lower cost games that if you have friends over are light and easy.

Dice Tower guys have a top ten list so about 30 games to look at.

https://youtu.be/vkpFzubA-K8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue is terrific and very thematic.

Another super game is Freedom: The Underground Railroad. Lots of great history inside an amazing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!
You might like Defenders of the Realm. My wife and I loved Pandemic, and decided to give DotR a try, and liked the theme (high fantasy) even more.

Edit: still love pandemic, DotR is a different flavour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
cloudsurfer45 wrote:
Mice and Mystics sounded amazing but sadly I have not been able to track down an affordable copy.

It might be between print runs right now, but according to the forums here, it sounds like it will be reprinted in 2 to 4 weeks, which should lower prices. Keep an eye out for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Engaging board eh..

The Downfall of Pompeii
Competitive but very fun tossing people into the volcano.
Quick, and easy to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.