Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the release of Salvation Road, I have been asked of comparisons to other games. I am very flattered as people are mentioning some very good games that are very highly ranked. An while on the surface we may share some similarities, I want to take a moment to point out some of the unique things about Salvation Road. Some of these may not totally be unique, but different enough that we are very proud of them and think they are worth mentioning.

Hero and Survivor
We are very happy with how this turned out. You get two characters that can each do the exact same actions that feel so different. One tiny rules tweak makes you love one character and hate the other. Sadly when the world ends not every person is going to be as useful as the next, but everyone is going to be needed to survive. This nod to the every man really worked out great, while still giving players a Hero to control.

Carrying Capacity and Wounds
I know there have been nods to this in other games, but I haven't seen anyone else do wounds and carrying capacity the way Salvation Road has. Yes some games have limited your backpack slots before, but these wounds grow and fester and you really feel the squeeze when trying to transport items back to the compound.

Apocalypse Cards
Every game has event cards, that is nothing new. But the way Apocalypse cards work is more like a ticking time bomb. Not only is it a timer for the game, but also if you haven't seen Famine, or War in a while you know they are coming. It allowed us to give players knowledge without making things sterile. It made every resource useful in one way or another and gave us another way to balance things. It makes sense. If you haven't eaten in a while you are going to get hungry.

Resources
The resources (Fuel, Food, Ammo & Meds) are actually resources you can use as well as being the end game goal. Each resource can be used in two unique ways to help you get out of sticky situations. I love how you can alter your strategy to make up for resources you are short on (need a lot of food for the trip, face the effects of hunger and don't take extra actions). I love the choices the resources give you above and beyond what the simple actions of the game would suggest. I love those tough decisions about what to use and what to hang on to that the game keeps forcing you to make. These aren't generated by some random even card, but by what is going on in the world you are playing in.

Learning Curve
I love how people go, "I got this" when hearing the rules and how straight forward they are. Then they start playing using just a few simple actions, and realize that they are wasting resources. Or time. Or not countering they Survivor abilities well. Or not using their Hero abilities well. Or not using their resources well. I love that I have played the game well over 100 times and I am still learning tricks. I think it really exemplifies simple to learn, hard to master.

Hope this helps you figure out if Salvation Road is right for you. If you have any questions or want to add anything please feel free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed more than a few comparisons on the Geek to Dead of Winter.

This post should be the "go to" post IMHO for anyone seeing if SR is too "samey" to other resource management games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While I have not played Salvation Road, I am considering it.

I have soloed Dead of Winter (with The Long Night Expansion) and my take away was an underwhelming experience at best. DoW is really tailored to the Co-Op experience while it would seem Salvation Road may handle the solo gamer much better.

DoW has some potential emerging narrative moments as the resource needs layered with the hidden objectives are effective in telling a pretty entertaining story. Solo, however, misses those objectives as well as the central narrative mechanic of the Crossroad cards.

It appears Salvation Road has no mechanics that are removed when moving from 2+ players to 1 player - so from that perspective I am highly considering it.

Also, a big draw is the play time of ~1 hour. I LOVE when I can get a weighty experience without spending four hours at the table. It sounds like Salvation Road clocks in around this play time - so cool.

It's certainly on my wish list and I am keeping my eye out for additional videos (only see the MVP play and Ricky's play ATM - hopefully more will appear once the game get wide distribution) and session reports (again, hopefully more appear soon).

Peter - across those 100+ games, what is your approximate win ratio?

OSG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo more than Peter does, and I hover around a 70% win ratio. That goes higher with easier scenarios and lower with harder scenarios, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I only win about 50% of the time on the base difficulty. Which is why I know there is a learning curve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.