Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

First, I must say two very positive things about Gato Leader (which I haven't played yet)...

1) While it may be that I'll find some holes after playing my first game, I have to commend this rulebook! This is my 4th DVG game. I just finished reading/highlighting the Gato Leader rules, and I was impressed with how much more complete and better structured this rulebook is, over other DVG games. Even after my first read-through of TAL, and FC:Nimitz, I had a LOT of questions!

But not so with Gato Leader. So far, I have only one question. See below. Again, after I actually play a game, then my attitude may change. But for now, I'm impressed.

2) I'm also impressed with the quality of the components! The cardboard is very thick, but most importantly, they're cut very clean, have rounded corners, and almost fell out of the sprue!

The fact that the edges were clean (with rounded corners, that is) caught my eye. I recently punched GMT's Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection, which also featured rounded corners for its corners. But the side edges always had a burr or two. NOT SO with Gato Leader!

Component quality top notch.

OK, on to my question:
Page 22, "Hit Effects", says to draw all hit counters against a submarine at one time. Then it says to resolve each hit counter after being drawn. OK... easy enough.

But then I got confused when it says to, "then immediately return the Hit counters to the cup." It sounds like this sentence is saying to return each Hit counter to the cup after drawing. But that can't be, as the top of the paragraph says to draw all "at one time".

It's just that the three sentences in this paragraph serve to contradict each other. I suspect it's only a grammar thing... so if anyone could help me understand what it's trying to say, I'd appreciate it!

Again, let's say a sub gets three hit counters as a result of an attack... do you draw one, resolve it, and return it to the cup. Then draw the 2nd?
Or do you draw all three at once, resolve each, then return all three at once, to the cup?

Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
The grammar isn't great and with GL they have seemed to come up with instructions slightly more ambiguous than other Leader games. A cut-and-paste from TAL swapping "Aircraft" for "Submarine" might have been better!

I've been playing it the same as TAL: so draw all the hit counters for a sub, resolve the effects, return the counters to the cup, and then repeat for the next sub.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the intent is to draw all the counters for that specific sub first, resolve them, and then return them to the cup so that the full range of counters are available for the next sub.

By drawing all at the same time, you don't have the chance that a specific counter could be drawn multiple times, which could happen if you drew one at a time, resolved it and returned it to the cup.

I belive the return to the cup immediately is so that the next sub has the full range of counters that may be chosen out of the cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to both of you for your replies! After reading your responses, they make absolute sense.

I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.