Subject: 3-4 hour 2 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Gast

Weyauwega
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a longer game hopefully 3-4 hours or so that is filled with meaningful choices and tension that is for two players. This game will be for my gf and I to play. Some games I have that she wouldn't like or has no interest in playing. Twilight Struggle, War of the Ring, Combat Commander, Middle Earth Quest, Hannibal. She doesn't like War games or things of that nature as you can tell. Some games we play 2 player that she very much enjoys. Imperial Settlers, Stone Age, Viticulture w/Tuscany board, Above and Below, Ancient World, Marco Polo, and Suburbia. I am looking for a game that takes at least around 2.5-3 hours or can be longer. Something we can spend a whole evening playing. One game I do have that I love that I think fills this is Dominant Species. Not sure how it really plays at 2 players as a few different suggestions on how to play that way are given. I think this game would have the max amount of player interaction she would like in a game. Basically I am looking for something for 2 players that plays in 3+ hours isnt too complicated in rules but strategy heavy. Sorry this is one long rambling post. Typed from my phone late at night. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species is fricking brilliant, but not at 2 with any variant I've seen. Also, it'd be over a lot quicker than you want with a lower player count.

TTA is the most obvious answer I can think of. Reduced combat in the 2 player mode, and again, shorter than 3 / 4 players, but still very meaty and excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Le Havre would do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad she doesn't like Twilight Struggle, that would have been my first recommendation

Deffinitely check out Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization! Great, heavy and long game about building your civilization (so might scratch similar itch as Imperial Settlers, only more meatier). There is very little aggression in the game, too

Also, check out Archipelago. The length of the game depends on the (secret) objectives, but it can take 1.5-4 h. It is an amazing game without direct combat, but that doesn't mean there is no interaction, quite the contrary. It gives you a perfect feel of exploration, as you go on revealing bigger and bigger chunks of map. It is beautiful, too

I could also recommend BATTALIA: The Creation which is not a very well-known but great game (average rating of 8.0). It combines deck-building and map exploration with a little bit of confrontaion (if you wish so). It can go up to 3 h.

Also, maybe an odd recommendation, but have you thought about Arcadia Quest? Playing the whole 6-scenario campaign takes whole evening. The game is also not very complex but it may be too combat-y for your GF (but the cute chibis might mitigate this, that's why I am even proposing it)

Let us know what you end up getting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo plays very well with 2 and if I recall correctly won a prize for Best Evening Length Game.

We also like Runebound (Third Edition) quite a bit for a really great fantasy adventure and exploration type game.

This is all I've got for you We prefer to play multiple shorter games in a day rather than one really long game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some suggestions to look into:
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization - not sure if this would have too much conflict or not... wars are less destructive than many other Civ games, but one still can't ignore military.
Mage Knight Board Game
A shorter 18xx, e.g. 1889 or 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight or 1825 unit 2 / 1825 unit 3
Roads & Boats - how aggressive this is varies a lot depending on map and players, anywhere from multiplayer solitaire to constantly stealing each others' resources.
Indonesia
Food Chain Magnate
Antiquity
Arkwright
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.