Defenders of the Last Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: Radiation Pills rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
Can you apply this at any time?
For example, say you acquire the Radiation Pills card but as yet do not have any mutations. Then later on you pick up a 1 value mutation, then later again you pick up another 1 value mutation.

Later still you draw a 3 value mutation. Do you become a Monstrostiy at that point or are you able to play your Radiation Pills card then to reduce it to a 0 value mutation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it depends on which mutation you're talking about. The card says "You may play this card on a Mutation to reduce its Radiation number to zero." So the order of precedence is important.

In order to reduce that 3 point mutation in your example, you would have to apply the 3 point mutation first, which would be too late because you have 5 or more points of mutations which would turn your ranger into a monstrosity.

You could, however, apply the pills to your 1 point mutations and be safe since you'd only have 4 points of mutations. Think of it like this, your ranger starts to feel *really* sick from radiation poisoning, so they take the pills before the third mutation (in this case, a 3 pointer) develops.

So to summarize:

1->1->3 (Could remove either of the 1 point mutations before applying the 3 point mutation)
1->3->1 (Could remove the first 1 point or the 3 point mutation before applying the second 1 point mutation)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
That makes sense. There is no "grace" period after the drawing of the mutation card. You draw the mutation card and must apply the mutation first.
I had a player trying to get super efficient with mutations and was trying to get as many as possible but I could not come up with a decent argument at the time.
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the order of operations argument. But I think thematically it makes more sense to take the radiation pills after you've received radiation effects, which is why I justified applying the pills after I exceeded the 5 point threshold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius is probably attending GenCon at the moment, but I'll make sure to ping him the middle of next week if he doesn't respond to this rules question.

My gut instinct tells me he would say it's too late to use the radiation pills after the 3 point Mutation card is drawn in the example above (the hero dies and becomes a monstrosity), because it would allow players to min/max mutations like your friend attempted to do. The thematic explanation would be that you know you have radiation sickness when you have to draw a mutation card, and you have the option to take the radiation pills before you draw that mutation card. Once the mutation card is drawn; however, it's too late to take the radiation pills since the outcome of the radiation sickness is then known at that point.

With that said, if you want to house rule the game to use the precedence rules I provided - or do something else entirely - that's your choice too. I'd imagine this particular corner-case won't come up regularly, so if it enhances your enjoyment of the game to play it differently, that's the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Correct. You must take the pills while still human, so if you have a 2 Mutaion and are about to draw a new mutation, you may want to take the pill before drawing the card.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.