Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played two 4 players game last night. On first game, one player is doing great, taking so many VP chips and good amount from cards and get like, 50 VP. We were eager to play it again so we did. But this second game ended too fast.

I am aware that without any direct interaction, this game has no catchup mechanism so snowball effect played a big part to our first game result (the score difference between 1st and 4th place is huge). In our second game the score is around 26-22-21-19, but the advancement deck is still thick, total vale bought is only around 5 cards and none of them are level 2.

I said the game ended too fast because i think, ideally, we should be reaching level 2 vale cards before the game ends. And why we are only using 33 VP chips from 94 total is beyond me

Did we play it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you are giving out points to every card? Points under the picture is end game scoring only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no, we only give points for symbols on the left part

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral
Andorra
Argentona, Barcelona
flag msg tools
veenickz wrote:
And why we are only using 33 VP chips from 94 total is beyond me

When somebody finishes the VP tokens (by the way, are they meant to be crystals? what are they meant to be?) the turns of those who are a turn behind have to be completed. Imagine that there's only one crystal left and that the active player gets 20 of them in their turn, then the next player gets 21 more and then the next player gets 21 more. Not likely at all (maybe even impossible), but the rules state that you can get them from the box if there aren't any remaining on the table. So maybe that's why there are 94 of them. Or maybe because they are for future expansions. Or maybe to allow house rules to play with, say, 40 crystals instead of 33.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, i am aware of continue playing until everyone has the same number of turns. but really, 33 from 94 makes me wonder if it actually able to snowball that much

salva wrote:
Or maybe because they are for future expansions. Or maybe to allow house rules to play with, say, 40 crystals instead of 33.

this is what i have in mind as well. i might house rule it into 50 for next game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would be careful about adding VP chips to make the game longer. If you use 50 the player turns may get really long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you get a couple of the cards that give you 5 points per play the point pool can deplete quite rapidly, and depending on the upgrades which come out it's quite possible to have games where nobody buys a vale card.

I'm not sure I'd adjust it though; I think there's a fairly important decision to be made by the players early on in whether they should focus on the cards which pull points from the pool or the cards that pay out at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you have people prioritizing victory point advancements over building up, and/or that you had victory point cards coming out early. The game does seem short, sometimes ending before it really gets going, but it seems like your group pushed it along fast.

As far as the large number of VP chips in the game compared to the number used during the game, I think it's so you can collect chips for cards owned at the end of the game. Pointless for most, but appreciated by a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Victory point tokens are not meant to be used each game. But since this is a well thought game, you are provided with enough tokens that you can grab as many as you need, in case you end up reaching a very, very high score. You're covered, just in case. Doesn't mean you need them. But should you, they're there

We also think that the game ends very quickly, but we don't believe adding more VP to the pool would make it interesting. This game is very similar to the first Ascension, and what makes both these games interesting, is that you have a very limited timeframe to work in, so you have to do your best to build an efficient point engine as fast as possible, and no time to get in a comfort zone. Add more turns, and the tension flyes away, power turns don't matter any more, and cards become so strong that it's not enjoyable anymore.

Powerful turns are enjoyable because they are hard to set up right in a limited timeframe and so are rare and only happen once or twice in a game.

Take Ascension: Realms Unraveled for instance. The game snowballs into power turns so fast and they are so strong, that the game becomes ridiculous, the turns are a chore to keep track of, and nobody is having fun anymore (and that's from the winner of all these power games). It would be a shame if it happened in Mystic Vale too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input guys. Yes, during our second game there were two cobra cards early so the VP chips got depleted fast. Looks like we didnt miss anything then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.