Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Investigators stats and cards make me think that some kind of dice would be required in order to play effects, etc...

That would be awesome!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the cards are the dice. Most player cards have icons on them, so I think you discard cards from your deck equal to your skill level, and count the matching icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no dice in the overall components picture of the game so I very much doubt they exist. Allan might have nailed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'd be sad if there were dice - the whole appeal of a deckbuilding game is being able to tune it to be more effective, not relying on saving throws.

The preview images do show "Test"s but I agree it's likely those are just resolved by using equipment/playing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Russell
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't forget Nate French of The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is one of the designers on this. The system in the LOTR LCG for combat involved drawing additional cards that had a condition - "A shadow effect" - that added in the randomness to the combat.

Dice don't appear to be included, and are unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know your point, but dice would add to the RPG-ish aspect of the game.
I wouldn't mind to throw some dice from time to time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...

If you look at Wendy Adam's ability, it says:

[tap?] When you reveal a chaos token, choose and discard 1 card from your hand: Cancel that chaos token and return it to the bag. Reveal a new chaos token. (Limit once per test/ability.)

So I guess there is a bag full of chaos tokens with various symbols on them (elder sign, etc), and each time you do a test/activate an ability, you draw one or more (depending on stat?). It works like a dice but can be customized. Yo, we heard you liked building so we put some bag building in your deck building.
But that's just my take on this, I could be reading it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed she mentions a bag, maybe that is used instead of dice, no sign of it on the game picture at least, but it is most likely lacking many important things.

Maybe that ? icon the cards is a chaos icon, so you draw a chaos token when you get one of those?

I guess this will be demoable at gencon, so hopefully we find out more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vittek wrote:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...

If you look at Wendy Adam's ability, it says:

[tap?] When you reveal a chaos token, choose and discard 1 card from your hand: Cancel that chaos token and return it to the bag. Reveal a new chaos token. (Limit once per test/ability.)

So I guess there is a bag full of chaos tokens with various symbols on them (elder sign, etc), and each time you do a test/activate an ability, you draw one or more (depending on stat?). It works like a dice but can be customized. Yo, we heard you liked building so we put some bag building in your deck building.
But that's just my take on this, I could be reading it wrong.

I missed Wendy's picture...

That makes sense. No dice but tokens do the trick.
I like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:

Maybe that ? icon the cards is a chaos icon, so you draw a chaos token when you get one of those?

Well that makes sense, a mix of prefedined and random icons. So if this is the case, you shouldn't be drawing random cards to get the icons, as that would be double random. Maybe you play them from your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blinding light text describes revealing one of 5 kinds of symbols that we haven't seen on player cards and which all look bad. I'm guessing those are the chaos tokens. So I imagine you draw chaos tokens when doing things like evading monsters or facing other sorts of perils. Based on the effect here and that the tokens look like bad things, I'm guessing draw more chaos tokens is a BAD thing so you probably aren't drawing tokens based on your investigator's ability.

My theory is that circumstances in the game (such as evading a monster) will require drawing some number of tokens, and "failure" occurs if the number of tokens of a certian type is equal or greater than our investigators stat. For example, a cultist might force us to evade(4) so we draw 4 tokens and we count up the cultist and maybe "Wild" symbols that appear or something. If I get 3 matches but my "speed" is only 2, then I failed.

Possibly I can use the cards in my hand as a resource to boost my speed (not sure if it would be before or after the draw). So if I'm bad at evading but see I might need to in the future, I can try to groom my hand for it to mitigate the luck. But if I make a habit of it, it will be very draining on my hand size.

In the case of blinding light, I'm using mind instead of speed which is good if have a lot of will cards or a good natural will score. But if the monster draws a lot of tokens, I'm very likely to suffer the drawback.

Just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos tokens clearly will mostly be numbers I think, based on one of the monsters which doubles the negative values. I think those icons are the rare cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Chaos tokens clearly will mostly be numbers I think, based on one of the monsters which doubles the negative values. I think those icons are the rare cases.

Not sure they have to be numbers. The symbols can translate into positive or negative modifiers depending on the situation, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but I am certain there are eldritch icon tokens there too, and most likely positive numbers as the monster indicates only negative numbers. To me the chaos bag feels like "destiny" in a game of BSG. Hopefully game effects add or remove tokens from the bag during the game, would make thinks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
True, but I am certain there are eldritch icon tokens there too, and most likely positive numbers as the monster indicates only negative numbers. To me the chaos bag feels like "destiny" in a game of BSG. Hopefully game effects add or remove tokens from the bag during the game, would make thinks interesting.

Yes, and precisely we know that those Eldritch symbols translate into different things for each character. That´s the info I base my reasoning to believe they might have just symbols that translate to positive/negative modifiers for skill tests or other procedures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the chaos tokens probably add up to some number, which is compared against our investogator's score. Number of tokens drawn probably depends on the difficulty of whatever is being attempted (like a monster's "speed" if evading or its "toughness" if fighting)
Special symbols on the chaos tokens could trigger effects based on the scenario or other effects in play, like the nemesis result in WHQ.
Player cards wth symbols on their side could probably used to temporarily boost the corresponding investigator stat in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we can see the tokens in the latest tweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That overpower card shown says "limit 1 committed per skill test". And has no cost, so I guess that is a skill check only card. Which suggests you can add cards from your hand to use those icons to add to your skills.

I like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The chaos tokens appear to have a +1 and -2 at least, plus some alien symbols.

I guess resources are indeed just resources. no idea how many you get a turn yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards in Star Wars are multi-purpose. Play them as normal or commit them to edge battle.
Some cards are specifically meant to be played into edge battles, with additional effects.
This reminds me of that, as the Overpower card seems to be a separate card type that's entirely meant to be "committed" during a test
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
The cards in Star Wars are multi-purpose. Play them as normal or commit them to edge battle.
Some cards are specifically meant to be played into edge battles, with additional effects.
This reminds me of that, as the Overpower card seems to be a separate card type that's entirely meant to be "committed" during a test

Indeed. Think that works nicely as a card way of managing skill checks. If a card isn't useful for the current situation, or is a duplicate, or your hands a full, throw the card away to help with a skill check. Focus on icons you perhaps are low on when building the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
The chaos tokens appear to have a +1 and -2 at least, plus some alien symbols.

I guess resources are indeed just resources. no idea how many you get a turn yet.

Dice Tower just tweeted the same pic with the complete display and one of the Chaos Tokens has a -6. So definitely thats the way tests work.

Also noted that Allies have Health and Sanity Ratings.

And indeed, the commitment mechanic to boost abilities sounds very promising in quite a few ways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We gonna be flipping...ermm..."casting" tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
WH40k: Conquest also has something like that: during combat you can discard cards from your hand to add shields to your units to prevent damage.
antoniocapo wrote:
We gonna be flipping...ermm..."casting" tokens.
no way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I read somewhere that there will be a bag of some sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.