United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Am going with a friend to amble along Hadrian's Wall - not attempting to walk the whole thing. We will be there from Mon-Fri in late August. Anyone recommend any must see/hidden gems to see while we are there? We are travelling up by car so will be fairly mobile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We really enjoyed the stops at Housesteads and Vindolanda

Housesteads is a bit more touristy, but both are worth walking around for a bit.

There was also a really neat Mithraic Temple somewhere along the road, but I can't find exactly where it was. It was totally out of the blue, too - we were just driving down the road, saw the sign, and thought 'let's go check it out'. Turns out it was just a fenced-off temple in the middle of a field with a single sign there and parking for about 4 cars.

As a side note, not knowing which direction you're traveling, but we went East-to-West and ended up at Caerlaveroch, which is (1) not Roman, but (2) totally worth the stop, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great walk Jim - I did it a few years ago although in May and there was snow on the ground one morning - not so good as I was just in a bivvy bag.

The area around Housesteads, and west from Steel Rigg has the best scenery. Steel Rigg is a bit more rugged.

Vindolandia is bit away from the path, but an easy walk. Chesters is a bit closer ISTR.

Birdoswald is worth it.

If you can afford the considerable time delay the 8 mile circular walk to Corbridge (+ time for the museum) is worth doing.

West of Carlisle can be safely ignored. Although fairly pleasant not much of interest. Similarly there is about 5+ miles of walking alongside a road just to the west of Heddon-on-the-Wall which can be pretty uninspiring after a long day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Am going with a friend to amble along Hadrian's Wall - not attempting to walk the whole thing. We will be there from Mon-Fri in late August. Anyone recommend any must see/hidden gems to see while we are there? We are travelling up by car so will be fairly mobile.

Boys, keep off the moors, stick to the roads. The best to ya...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot remember the exact locations we visited, but we did visit Housesteads and Vindolanda. I am not sure if it was one of these but I have a feeling it was one of the other smaller sites that we found a museum which had an interesting video on what the wall looked like in Roman times. There are numerous stopping places and when we visited in 2010 you could use the same parking ticket in all of the car parks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bayonetbrant wrote:

There was also a really neat Mithraic Temple somewhere along the road, but I can't find exactly where it was. It was totally out of the blue, too - we were just driving down the road, saw the sign, and thought 'let's go check it out'. Turns out it was just a fenced-off temple in the middle of a field with a single sign there and parking for about 4 cars.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/temple-of-mi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United Kingdom
Ealing
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can definitely encourage going in April, particularly if you like sleet and the associated sympathy for the poor buggers stationed there before central heating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take some Glenfiddich and 'ware the O'Neills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb
capracaligo wrote:
bayonetbrant wrote:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/temple-of-mi...

The Mithraic Temple is a definite and we are strategically positioned in a pub that doubles as a Bed and Breakfast so all our alcoholic needs will be seen to as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A caution against not making the visit when too young (or if you do, don't go back years later).

When I was six years old, and knee-high to a ... what the hell does that mean, anyway? ... the family visited Hadrian's Wall. We debarked from the car, and my father confidently said to a young scamp who had been in the Ford Popular far too long anyway ("Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?): "Go ahead of us up that hill, and stop when you get to the wall that was built to keep the Scots out of England" (or words to that effect).

Up I went, and eventually found myself clambering over a few ill-arranged rocks no more than three feet high. Obviously not the mighty barrier my pater had described. I continued, and by the time the rest of said family arrived at the actual Roman wall over which I had scampered (it's what scamps do) I was half a mile further on, about to get lost in the Caledonian wastes. By the time I got back, (1) pater and sister had hiked out of sight and (2) I had no energy left to appreciate a wall that is definitely not visible from space.

And when I visited Housesteads more than 20 years after my first visit, all I could think was that "when I was a lad, I could run all the way along here underneath the hypocausts. Why can't I now?"

Because you're about twice as tall now, d*ckh@#d.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an awful lot of the wall visible as nearby fences for farms

Years ago we visited a spot along the wall that had a good Roman History museum. I don't actually remember what it was called, but it was relatively close to the towns|villages|place names of Once Brewed and Twice Brewed (those names I remember!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim. Echo previous comments and add a few:
The most dramatic stretch, and the one where you can see how the wall fortified zone functioned is the one around Housesteads (caution: there are many arguments about how it functioned, the most ridiculous of which says that it was all a piece of power theatre, with a bit of customs barrier thrown in, with no practical military function... as a local history teacher its a hobby-horse of mine to attack that nonsensical view whenever I can!). Birdoswald and Vindolanda are definitely worth a visit. I would add the Roman town at Corbridge and the nearby bridge site.

Take your waterproofs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"West of Carlisle can be safely ignored..."

Oi, wiseguy, some of us live there....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
cstimpson wrote:
"Go ahead of us up that hill, and stop when you get to the wall that was built to keep the Scots out of England" (or words to that effect"

I hope you reminded your dad that when the wall was built there were no Scots or English in Britain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Hi Mike. Agreed on the wall theory. I taught the role of the wall as part of the 'Classical Civilisations' course by OCR (now abandoned I believe by them due to lack of take up). Lots of interesting theories.

We are thinking of going to the Tullie House museum in Carlisle while we are up here. Is it worth a look?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tullie House? Yes, I would say so, though there is plenty of flash and a bit less substance, there is still enough substance. They used to have a reconstruction of a Roman cavalry saddle (with the four horns to hold you in your seat) that you could actually get on. Probably still there.

When are you coming up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never been, but this book seems to be a pretty good guide..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
I'm at Mini-Wellycon - Oct 22 - 23, 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up Hunter Davies A Walk Along the Wall second-hand. It looks like things have changed since he first walked the wall in 1974, though I haven't read it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Aussie550 wrote:
I have never been, but this book seems to be a pretty good guide..

It's sitting in my 'to read pile'!!!

(@Mike) We are doing the 22nd to 26th August
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In France then. Lanercost Priory, and its valley, make a nice visit. Its near Brampton. Like many buildings around there it used some stone robbed from the Wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb

We looked at the Priory and thought some of the stonework had a familiar look to it

Obviously some confusion over mine and thine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
cstimpson wrote:
...and stop when you get to the wall that was built to keep the Scots out of England...

Hi Chris,

This is not quite true. Yes, Hadrian's Wall was built by the Romans to keep the Scottish out, but in actual fact it lead to the Scottish being the only pure race in the British Isles since those south of the Wall got well and truly screwed by the legionaries (not legionnaires as you obviously know, being the well educated man that you are).

The outcome of this was that there are now very few pure English with 90% of the population being half Italian.

Regards,

Jim......mb
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
"West of Carlisle can be safely ignored..."

Oi, wiseguy, some of us live there....

I was just talking about the Hadrian's Wall Path and I think many would agree it isn't the best bit of the walk from either a walking, scenic or history viewpoint.

For 5 days walking I would probably start at Carlisle and finish at Corbridge. Although the amount of time you spend at the touristy bits will probably eat in to that, so might end it at Chollerford and the Chesters fort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

Boys, keep off the moors, stick to the roads. The best to ya...

I would often travel that road as the scenic route home from works meetings in Newcastle. On occasion, heading towards the sunset, with the mist rising in the fields, not a living soul in sight, it was a beautiful- yet eerie- experience.

Hours spent looking at PowerPoint slides can do odd things to one's imagination...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just joshing!

The Roman thing west of Carlisle worth seeing is the Roman Museum in Maryport - but rightly with limited time go ahead and ignore us Solway Plainers - we are indeed a drab and plain bunch.

Incidently, the very extension of the Wall along the shore of the Solway Firth demonstrates that it was built for a real military purpose not just as a piece of showmanship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.