Subject: Targaryen expansion [wishful thinking] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was listening to Dice Tower/Secret Cabal podcast and they were taling that this game needs an expansion. Looking where the show/books are heading I think a Targaryen invasion expansion would be interesting idea. One player plays solo for most of the game (a side game with some interacion to main game with assasination attempts) and then, if no end game is triggered early, solo player in last couple of rounds go in and annihilate all players on main map (Edit: with dragons of course ).
Could be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would trade some rare games from my collection for a modular map expansion of this. And dragons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dragons would be a card, not a unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Convy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Personally I'd prefer the Targaryens to be in the next edition as opposed to an expansion. Unless it was a full expansion with it's own map instead of just a POD.

I think dragon units would be better than cards too. Since they should be similar in strength and having three 4 powered cards seems a little unbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that dragons should be units. It would make them stand out in the game.

But I would guess that Targaryens are very hard to implement. Especially given where we are in the show. So we either must go back in time, which would need a new game. This way you could go with gameplay and and incorpurate them as a like faction for balancing and fun.

Also we can go to the future. This is just speculation/expectation that Daenerys with her army and dragons can annihilate any army they encounter.
Way I can see this being implemented is that Targaryen player plays on a seperate board for most of the game building the army and growing the dragons. Other players send traps and assains that impede said process. And than in last couple rounds Targaryens attack the main board.
This might not be super fun way to play because of somewhat semi-coop nature and because one player has to play almost solo, but it could be an interesting expansion I would try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Convy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I don't see any reason why they couldn't play on the same board. Perhaps with a separate win condition.

An expansion or game based on the conquering of Westeros by Aegon could be cool too. Basically 1 v all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to have dragons as units but it wouldn't work, what would they replace, siege? knights? Currently only she has dragons, if all players had dragons, it could work but that doesn't fit current theme. And, every one would want to play as Targaryens.

They would be 1 card, likely all 3.

The only other way it could work as units is if all players were given a unique unit... Which is what the cards kind of are, just with out the model or restricted by movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hybry wrote:
Targaryen player plays on a seperate board for most of the game building the army and growing the dragons. Other players send traps and assains that impede said process. And than in last couple rounds Targaryens attack the main board.
This might not be super fun way to play because of somewhat semi-coop nature and because one player has to play almost solo, but it could be an interesting expansion I would try.

Not necessarily, the game plays out as we choose not the show, she could of got her ships much earlier. Another house could of chose to invade her lands, due to different treaties on the main land. Many outcomes, variants of the passage of time are possible, that's the point in a game.

Targaryens would be super easy to implement into the game, adding an extra board that simply increased the world map size, play as normal. However, dragons as units would be incredibly hard to factor in. They would be her 4 card or perhaps something similar to, 'discard power tokens to set the combat value' like in the expansion. As cards, the dragons don't die or need to be mustered, they are just simply out of play for a duration once used.

And, they can turn up pretty much anywhere. We'd all love dragon models but for the sake of theme and mechanics, card would be the 'logical' way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alias Saila
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I desperately want a modular expansion for the game based in Essos (although I suppose this would represent an entirely separate boardgame).

One dragon unit could work with some nerfing, perhaps under the following conditions?:
* Contributes 3 combat strength.
* Killed with 2 sword icons. If killed with 1 sword icon then the unit is permanently wounded (placed on it's side) where it cannot support other battles or attack enemy units. While wounded the unit can be killed by 1 sword icon.
* Cannot be mustered after death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K. Engen
Norway
flag msg tools
I'm currently working on an expansion called "The War of the Usurper". This expansion stands out from the rest on the fact that it is an already made union between different factions. Westeros Cards and Objective Cards are most likely involved in the game and will be game changing, leaving this expansion quite unlike the rest which I think people will like.

So far to make the game as balanced as possible, there will be a four player game, with either one or two factions per player. Robert Baratheon is leading the rebels towards the Iron Throne with their friends Stark, Tully and Arryn. House Targaryen are currently holding the Iron Throne, and are strongly supported by Martell, Tyrell and Darry (a former strong house which were slaughtered in Roberts rebellion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steel Whisper
Netherlands
Weesp
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$10 this game gets a 3rd edition with minis once the show is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.