$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
36.2% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question in the subject line. It's hard to tell from the rules, but will this always be the case?

Also, it's a little confusing in the rules where you use the term "Turn" for both four placements of the commercial hubs and individual player turns.

Usually a round is a collection of turns. Just a thought.

Really looking forward to this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
odes spielekiste
Germany
Horstmar-Leer
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do the math yourself. I can explain for a two player game:

There are 12 dice in the game. 3 of every color. 4 are being placed on the wheel at the set up. 8 remain in the bag.

So, when taking an action you take one die from the wheel and after your turn you place a die from the bag on the wheel back again. So the bag will be empty after 8 turns. Makes 4 for every player. After the second player performed his 4th action the bag will be empty.

That is the sign for the round to be over.

Now you put all the dice back in the bag that are not on the wheel. Only the ones that the players took. So there are always four dice on the wheel once the game is set up.

So the next round starts with all the leftovers from the previous round on the wheel. And since you placed 8 used dice in the bag again you are set for the whole thing to start over.

Now the math for 3 players: Use 16 dice. 4 on the wheel, 12 in the bag. Every player gets 4 actions. 4x3 is 12.

Same for 4 players: Use 20 dice. 4 on the wheel. 16 in the bag. 4 players x 4 actions per player makes 16 dice per round.

Just remember: The drawing a new die and place it on the wheel is the end of your turn. You have to do it every time. Handing over the bag to the next player is the sign of your turn ending. So when you hand over an empty bag the round ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
So in other words, the first sentence under 9.0 Sequence of Play on page 11 could say rounds instead of game turns, like below?

Quote:
Solarius Mission is played over the course of a total of four game turns rounds.

Edit: I changed it to "game turns" instead of just "turns" as this term is used consistently through the rulebook. I can't find any reference to rounds at all, so this is probably a deliberate choice.

Personally I think it's more intuitive that if players take turns there should also be rounds, or at least one.

After reading the rules, it seems to me that each "game turn" is spending all dice in the bag, and that this is what I would think of as a round. Players take turns until all die are picked from the bag. Each round starts with a full bag of dice. This happens to be four times in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
Just to answer my own question for future reference:

yes, a "game turn" in the English version of the rulebook is called Spielrunde in the German version which in my opinion has been poorly translated to "game turn", but should be "round".

In spite of my rudimentary German skills, I prefer to go to the German version for difficult passages in the English rulebook. I can recommend it for others with school-German

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
odes spielekiste
Germany
Horstmar-Leer
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A "round" is often considered a turn for every player in seat order.

A-B-C-D is a round.

I don't think that game round is a fixed term for what you might call a "sequence" or "cycle".

Or is it? I don't know exactly. Still I did not translate the rule book...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
Thanks for your reply!

Isn't Spielrunde a "round" in English, and Spielzug a "turn"? So shouldn't it just be called a "round" in the rulebook, instead of "game turn"?

English in not my first language, which makes it even more important with a clear language in the rulebook. I understand fully that there are challenges in writing a good rulebook, and translating it on top of that. But that's why I'm posting here, so that others can understand the rules easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
odes spielekiste
Germany
Horstmar-Leer
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@tilde72:

A "round" normally is considered as every player gets one turn following clockwise turnorder. So a "game round" is something like a special sequence within the game. Like in La Granja. La Granja is played over 6 game rounds.

The word "game" is added in this case to be clear about it not being a normal "round". Because every player gets multiple turns. While usually in a round every player gets one turn.

In Solarius Mission it seems like they deceided to go with the term "game turns".

The thing is: This term has to be defined. Whether it is a game round or game turn. It has to be explained what a game turn is.

Since the came consists of turn after turn for the players Spielworxx deceided to use the term "game turn" to calrify that the turns players are taking are devided into 4 different sequences of "game turns".

This sounds awfully technical... Dou you have a clue what I amtalking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
@tilde72:

A "round" normally is considered as every player gets one turn following clockwise turnorder. So a "game round" is something like a special sequence within the game. Like in La Granja. La Granja is played over 6 game rounds.

The word "game" is added in this case to be clear about it not being a normal "round". Because every player gets multiple turns. While usually in a round every player gets one turn.

In Solarius Mission it seems like they deceided to go with the term "game turns".

The thing is: This term has to be defined. Whether it is a game round or game turn. It has to be explained what a game turn is.

Since the came consists of turn after turn for the players Spielworxx deceided to use the term "game turn" to calrify that the turns players are taking are devided into 4 different sequences of "game turns".

This sounds awfully technical... Dou you have a clue what I amtalking about?

I understand the logic here, but in English it doesn't make sense. In a game round, nothing is assumed about whether or not a player gets a turn. The rules will specify that. The round is simply there to indicate a cycle of play.

A turn is more explicit. A single player is taking actions to initiate some game effects before their play ends and another play begins.

Whether or not a player gets a turn is irrelevant to the term "round" in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
@bayerbube:
Thanks,

yes I see what you mean, and I think I understand why they did it. I would have preferred it if they took the "In a round, players take turns until the bag of dice is empty, which is when the round ends." approach, but this works too.

In any case, just by reading the rulebook I had difficulties understanding what a round was, and how many turns you get each round (which is usually one in most games, but could also be more, such as in this case with four).

I am hoping somebody will make a condensed rule summary and post it - they will get geek gold from me, for sure!

Anyways, back to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
odes spielekiste
Germany
Horstmar-Leer
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:

Whether or not a player gets a turn is irrelevant to the term "round" in my opinion.

I completely disagree. A "round" as taking one turn each player in clockwise turn order is common sense. That is just the vocable for this. Boardgame related...

tilde72 wrote:

Anyways, back to the game!

Let us know if you have any more problems. Mike and I are checking the BGG forums regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.