34.3% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While waiting with great anticipation to play my newly-arrived copy I'm re-reading the PBF 2 game.

Ian revealed in his T5 Strategy step these two cards

(150) PREPARE {How to be free} Use during your Strategy step. Muster a Hoplite.

(154) PREPARE {Because we are the only ones who give birth to men} Use after you Muster a Hoplite. Battle a Land space adjacent to the Hoplite just mustered.

If he had revealed an intermediate Prepare card (that did not muster),cwould 154 still have been triggered?

If he had played only 150 in the Strategy step and 154 in the Play step, could he immediately use 154?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
United Kingdom
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, where is the PBF write up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory or Death Play by Forum Game 2
and previously
Victory or Death Play by Forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tycho wrote:

If he had played only 150 in the Strategy step and 154 in the Play step, could he immediately use 154?

No way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ian. I think I understand now, "Use after" means "Use as a Reaction to the trigger", and Reactions are defined in the rulebook as being resolved immediately after their trigger.

Played my first game last night - we had a great time. Demos win after T12, score something like 32-18. Athens always under pressure but never lost the city, while the League was allowed to rack up the points. Congratulations on the design!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros
msg tools
In the extended gameplay section of the rulesbook (page 30) it says that you must discard a "land battle card" when using this card ( Because we are the only ones who give birth to men). Is this correct or Sparta can battle without the need of having a "land battle" card? --- In the original QMG we only had to discard a card only when this was explicitly mentioned , e.g Banzai charge didn't require to discarding a second land battle

Does this stand for all status/prepare/event cards that have written "battle" on them? Every time that you "battle" a piece as a result of such a card, do we have to discard a "land battle" card from our hands?

Is it the same for "mustering" ? I.e. do we have to discard a "muster" card from our hands if I have a status/prepare/event card which reads that we can muster a hoplite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No this is a mistake in the example. I will make an errata to correct this but I'm certainly bummed out we remove this sentence before it went to print. It was based on an earlier version of the card, so when the card got changed, the example didn't.

My biggest face-palm was that the problem was pointed out to us but somehow I forgot to let Nick know in a timely fashion....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, just got off the phone with Nick. It turns out we did correct the example in the rulebook, but the printer somehow used our penultimate file upload as there were some communication errors between us and them. So we did fix it, but another problem happened en route. I did not get a printed copy to approve prior to the print run.

We're hoping to correct this error in the next print run. This they printed us too few in the original run (just enough for the KS, WBC, & Gen Con), maybe this can still be corrected in the copies yet to be printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros
msg tools
Thank Ian! Now it makes sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros
msg tools
IanBrody wrote:
OK, just got off the phone with Nick. It turns out we did correct the example in the rulebook, but the printer somehow used our penultimate file upload as there were some communication errors between us and them. So we did fix it, but another problem happened en route. I did not get a printed copy to approve prior to the print run.

We're hoping to correct this error in the next print run. This they printed us too few in the original run (just enough for the KS, WBC, & Gen Con), maybe this can still be corrected in the copies yet to be printed.

Ian, just to let you know, the online link of the rulebook that you gave us (i.e. http://www.tinkergnome.com/gg/VoD_Rulebook_FINAL_LoRes.pdf ) also has that mistake as well (in case you want to correct it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.