Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Churchill lovers out there. I just wanted to post a session report on the game me and my friends Mark and Hanwen played last night that ended up a nail biter.

We decided to play the Campaign Scenario and boy what a different feel from the tournament scenario this has. We drew a die from a cup to determine who was playing who and I got Churchill, Mark got Stalin and Hanwen ended up with Roosevelt.

The game started with Stalin running crazy toward developing the Atom Bomb. He fooled me (Churchill) several times with his card play in the Agenda phase where I ended up winning making him the first to play cards in the meeting phase. He would select the A-Bomb issue and use Stalin to advance it to his seat with no debate possible. Needless to say, he made it to Trinity well before Roosevelt.

Meanwhile, the Roosevelt player, Hanwen, was struggling with his direction. He noticed I had won the first two conferences so he began to try and mess with me thinking I was the clear leader. He began taking over the colonies with his clandestine markers and using every opportunity to slow my endeavors in the Mediterranean conflict. I kept pointing out the progress Stalin was making to no avail.

The Med front marker just wouldn't move for me, so I threw some minimal offensive support toward the CBI theater each turn. I know, this is usually an afterthought in a lot of games of Churchill, but I was able to advance the CBI fairly effortlessly. I was also able to grab both Global issues in the early going.

Yes, I was making progress, but Stalin was pushing forward on both the Europe and Pacific fronts. It was unusual to see (in the games I have played anyway) the USSR declare war on Japan so early in the game. He then pushed his front forward to the brink of entering Japan where he stalled. In Europe's Eastern front he had just two spaces to get into Germany while the Western Front had barely moved into Normandy. I saw what was going on and started concentrating support to the Western front. We got lucky and was able to catch up with the help of a breakthrough on a later turn.

By this time I had Roosevelt realizing the status of Stalin. He began to gain some traction in points with his clandestine and political alignment markers. Unfortunately, I think Churchill's persistence in advising Roosevelt made the US too strong.

Late in the game Stalin realized the scores were bunching up and were fairly close, so during the meeting phase of conference 8 he was able to garner enough offensive support to make a double attempt at entering both Germany and Japan on the same turn. Unfortunate for him he failed to make Germany, but the US/UK didn't, giving us a point advantage over Stalin. It was also about this time that Roosevelt passed away and Truman took over the US effort.

With the European theater essentially shut down we concentrated on beating Japan in the tenth turn. All that needed to happen at this point was for the US or UK to make it into a B-29 space or for Stalin to invade Japan. I thought my best chance for winning at this point would be to see that happen, so I supported the effort. Calculating scores in my head I thought we were all within five points of each other. Unfortunately for me, Stalin won the Global issue on turn ten and shifted the score between me and him by ten points....whoops!

Japan did indeed surrender on the final turn. Even before tallying scores I knew this one would be a condition 1 game end. When all was counted I suffered the most in the final turn despite being able to move into the Formosa space on the CBI front. Stalin didn't invade Japan, but he obviously scored for Korea. Truman had done an excellent job of making the US relevant at the end game. Much more so than I thought he had while playing. He gained five points in the colonies keeping me from collecting two points in any of them for empty spaces. Damn!

All tallied the final scores were:

Hanwen (Roosevelt/Truman) 59
Mark (Stalin) 58
Chris (Churchill) 49

What a great game! Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent sessions report. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well played...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
Hey Churchill lovers out there. I just wanted to post a session report on the game me and my friends Mark and Hanwen played last night that ended up a nail biter.

We decided to play the Campaign Scenario and boy what a different feel from the tournament scenario this has. We drew a die from a cup to determine who was playing who and I got Churchill, Mark got Stalin and Hanwen ended up with Roosevelt.

The game started with Stalin running crazy toward developing the Atom Bomb. He fooled me (Churchill) several times with his card play in the Agenda phase where I ended up winning making him the first to play cards in the meeting phase. He would select the A-Bomb issue and use Stalin to advance it to his seat with no debate possible. Needless to say, he made it to Trinity well before Roosevelt.

Meanwhile, the Roosevelt player, Hanwen, was struggling with his direction. He noticed I had won the first two conferences so he began to try and mess with me thinking I was the clear leader. He began taking over the colonies with his clandestine markers and using every opportunity to slow my endeavors in the Mediterranean conflict. I kept pointing out the progress Stalin was making to no avail.

The Med front marker just wouldn't move for me, so I threw some minimal offensive support toward the CBI theater each turn. I know, this is usually an afterthought in a lot of games of Churchill, but I was able to advance the CBI fairly effortlessly. I was also able to grab both Global issues in the early going.

Yes, I was making progress, but Stalin was pushing forward on both the Europe and Pacific fronts. It was unusual to see (in the games I have played anyway) the USSR declare war on Japan so early in the game. He then pushed his front forward to the brink of entering Japan where he stalled. In Europe's Eastern front he had just two spaces to get into Germany while the Western Front had barely moved into Normandy. I saw what was going on and started concentrating support to the Western front. We got lucky and was able to catch up with the help of a breakthrough on a later turn.

By this time I had Roosevelt realizing the status of Stalin. He began to gain some traction in points with his clandestine and political alignment markers. Unfortunately, I think Churchill's persistence in advising Roosevelt made the US too strong.

Late in the game Stalin realized the scores were bunching up and were fairly close, so during the meeting phase of conference 8 he was able to garner enough offensive support to make a double attempt at entering both Germany and Japan on the same turn. Unfortunate for him he failed, but the US/UK didn't, giving us a point advantage over Stalin. It was also about this time that Roosevelt passed away and Truman took over the US effort.

With the European theater essentially shut down we concentrated on beating Japan in the tenth turn. All that needed to happen at this point was for the US to make it into a B-29 space or for Stalin to invade Japan. I though my best chance for winning at this point would be to see that happen, so I supported the effort. Calculating scores in my head I thought we were all within five points of each other. Unfortunately for me, Stalin won the Global issue on turn ten and shifted the score between me and him by ten points....whoops!

Japan did indeed surrender on the final turn. Even before tallying scores I knew this one would be a condition 1 game end. When all was counted I suffered the most in the final turn despite being able to move into the Formosa space on the CBI front. Stalin didn't invade Japan, but he obviously scored for Korea. Truman had done an excellent job of making the US relevant at the end game. Much more so than I thought he had while playing. He gained five points in the colonies keeping me from collecting two points in any of them for empty spaces. Damn!

All tallied the final scores were:

Hanwen (Roosevelt/Truman) 59
Mark (Stalin) 58
Chris (Churchill) 49

What a great game! Thanks for reading.

Wow!

Chris, I realized I'm in your neighborhood, was this at CFG?

Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gary,

No, we played at my house. Please come on out to our regular Thursday night board gaming night at CFG, if you haven't already and introduce yourself. I am easy to find as I am the guy in the wheelchair.

I frequently play games at my house as well with some of the guys in our group. Would love to have you join us if Thursdays don't work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
Hi Gary,

No, we played at my house. Please come on out to our regular Thursday night board gaming night at CFG, if you haven't already and introduce yourself. I am easy to find as I am the guy in the wheelchair.

I frequently play games at my house as well with some of the guys in our group. Would love to have you join us if Thursdays don't work for you.

That may work, but I'm still expecting you to be wearing a helmet and strapping a rocket launcher just to be sure!

Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.