Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...I guess if they had anticipated the fan backlash for not going the route of gritty realism for an AGoT property, maybe they made the right choice...

...but I'm still so curious: who *is* the artist here? I'm getting a very strong Mike Krahulik/Penny Arcade vibe, but I'm surprised that wasn't a headline, if it's true.

For my part, I don't think there's any problem at all with the art here--it's fresh, interesting, and quite fitting for a lighter game of this sort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invictus5000 wrote:
...I guess if they had anticipated the fan backlash for not going the route of gritty realism for an AGoT property, maybe they made the right choice...

I rarely pay much attention to FFG releases, the ugliness of their visual aesthetic is doing them no favours with me. But this game has me interested. It certainly has its own look. Not the generic appearance they normally go for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take this over their usual "indistinguishable genre paperback cover" style any day of the week. But yeah, a name would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Deep Space D-6
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The artist is: Mihajlo Dimitrievski

I submitted the correction yesterday. He also did art for Shipwrights of the North Sea among other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
The artist is: Mihajlo Dimitrievski

I submitted the correction yesterday. He also did art for Shipwrights of the North Sea among other things.

Hey, thanks Horror Leader! Looks like Mihajlo also did Valeria and City of Spies: Estoril 1942, all of which have some nice pieces!

Whether you like the aesthetic as applied to Hand of the King (and I do), he's clearly got some talent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very clever, talented artist who has quite a following right now. Yes his touch here is more cartoonish but the game *is* described as "whimsical" and I for one think it suits really well. Plus I really want this game! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see a longtime ASOIAF fan being angry at the art. The two most prolific character artists (outside of FFG art) for ASOIAF are Amok and Francisco Araujoda Costa. The latter has an extremely cartoony style. I almost thought they got him to do this game. Amok does lots of portrait style pictures. The majority of the gritty realistic pictures you see were generated by FFG for their card game. If you look through wiki's or do image searches chances are you'll see one of those three as a source.

I think the art style makes this game stand out from the rest of their line up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
I can't see a longtime ASOIAF fan being angry at the art. The two most prolific character artists (outside of FFG art) for ASOIAF are Amok and Francisco Araujoda Costa. The latter has an extremely cartoony style.

Wow. That is a striking resemblance. However, I suspect the people angry at the art are less fans of GoT, and more fans of FFG, which has a rather specific style they use for their games (in general).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Deep Space D-6
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just glad they didn't do stills from the show!

This art definitely makes it more accessible to some of my friends, especially those that don't watch the series. Art can be used to shape the tone of a game. It's not hard to argue that the events and interactions on GoT can be a little outlandish. Art like this allows players to relish in that aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would have caught my attention without the artwork. I watch the TV show with my finacée so it's a game she might be interested in and BC has a good track record of light but engaging positional games (the description makes me think it might have something in common with Mr Jack Pocket - but for more players).

However, I really like this type of stylised cartoon art - so it's pretty much an auto-buy now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, has there been actual fan backlash or was the OP just anticipating it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Faenza
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not him, but I would have guessed Scott Kurtz: the art is very similar to Table Titan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mihajlo dimitrievski
msg tools
Thank you all for comments and critics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
People forget this was a book series long before a TV show. I'm so glad to see cool art instead of actor photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N/A
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree. I read some comments complaining the art wasn't more hardcore, or hbo photos. But for a quick light game, I love the stylized look. I'll be picking this one up. Looks like the right price too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
I'm not a fan of that art! IMHO that comic style does not fit the theme.

I understand that FFG already has the rights for this IP, so why not using film stills like they did in Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne? I would have bought the game instantly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mihajlo dimitrievski
msg tools
Again thx for comments and critics....
In the meantime here are some quick drawings based on the show...most of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.