Subject: What 3 Words are you? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is rather funky.
A company has mapped the globe and divided it into 3 meter x 3 meter squares (10 feet x 10 feet).
They have then assigned each square a "three word name". So instead of memorizing an address-- as the video explains, most of the world does not even have a reliable street address so they would have to rely on longitude and latitude-- your location is now a simple three word set.

As they explain on the website, memorizing 16 numeric digits of longitude and latitude in order is, for all practical purposes, impossible. But your ability to memorize three words in a certain order is pretty basic.

Now you don't get to pick your own three words-- apparently, they have already had a computer assign your 3-square-meter box, on earth, a code already!

I haven't had time to look at this further, but maybe one of you can figure out where to go on the website to figure out what your 3 words are.

https://what3words.com/about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just go to the map, enter your address and look at the bottom of the screen.

https://map.what3words.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a trick to find out where we all live, isn't it?

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it, but not tellng you since you'd then know exactly where I live....

https://map.what3words.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
My three words are all expletives...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:

ninja

Even if it is, my house has some that just have to be shared.

"Puppies profusely obstructed."
"Uses commence covertly."
"Massaged birthday subscribers."
"Robe tortoises drummer" (gotta head over to the Band Name thread to record Robe Tortoises!)
"Gerbils college fad"
"Miraculous mailman ranches"
"Eventual imagination squirrel".

Interesting that the three words don't have any resemblance to the other squares, and don't share any words. I'd think there'd be some organization somehow.

Also interesting in that I wonder if they broke this up to a region's primary language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird. My three-word location is "Sexy Sexy Sexy."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am, at this very moment, sitting at "Classic Cats Neutron".

Wicked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
All kidding aside, one of the three words for my address is "Stud."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine apply to two addresses as we are a maisonette, so naff off internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
My bedroom contains the words "twin scare."

Not okay.

This would be more useful if they didn't use different tenses for the words. Although, living at "Loved.Loves.Love" would be fun. Oh, and "swim.swim.swim" is on Dry Hill Rd, and is not nearly as fun as living at "swim.swam.swum."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
Interesting that the three words don't have any resemblance to the other squares, and don't share any words. I'd think there'd be some organization somehow.

That's intentional, so that if there is a mistake made it'll be obvious when you end up halfway around the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. My home includes "Studio wooden closed", "Indeed castle design", "Shadow vibrates glass", and "Summer else opens". I could be happy with any of those. But I'm also "Noise mouth scare" and "Mole bottom bricks", which I'm not such a big fan of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:

ninja

Given that you're really far from me and your game collection is small and doesn't have anything I'm that interested in, you're fairly safe.

wmshub wrote:
Cool. My home includes "Studio wooden closed"
Now you on the other hand are much closer, with more games and pose much greater temptation.

Hmm, you live in a very wooded area with a decent bit of space from any witnesses neighbors. I'm about to geekmail you a link to a website that lets you enter in all your home security features and it will give you an assessment of how easy it will be to burgle safe your home is. Make sure you list any and all security features or I won't know what to watch out for the assessment won't be accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

wmshub wrote:
Now you on the other hand are much closer, with more games and pose much greater temptation.

Hmm, you live in a very wooded area with a decent bit of space from any witnesses neighbors. I'm about to geekmail you a link to a website that lets you enter in all your home security features and it will give you an assessment of how easy it will be to burgle safe your home is. Make sure you list any and all security features or I won't know what to watch out for the assessment won't be accurate.

Pah! You're all the way across the Quabbin from me! I have nothing to fear, even though I'll be on vacation in Maine all next week and the lock on my porch door is broken and doesn't latch properly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So yeah, now I have two new games.

1) picking funny three word combinations and seeing where they take me.
mouth.lied.often: near Los Angeles

2) picking famous places and looking for funny word combinations
White House Oval Office: square.oath.melt, legend.sorry.brain

White House Press Room: refers.blows.logic, fade.scam.tools, jumpy.reply.lock

Mount Rushmore: distinction.outsize.fits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, who knew that "kittens.puppies.love" would be in Arkansas? Or "dragon.fire.danger" is just outside of Chicago? You could search all day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this useful for addressing? If you have to look somewhere up on a website then I don't think that it will help much, especially with that 75% of the world that has no physically posted addressing.

"Wait, What3Words said that I should turn left at beans.battle.town... Where is that?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
Is this useful for addressing? If you have to look somewhere up on a website then I don't think that it will help much, especially with that 75% of the world that has no physically posted addressing.

"Wait, What3Words said that I should turn left at beans.battle.town... Where is that?"
I think the idea is that you would use this to make geolocations memorable and easily passed on via speech, not your addressing.

So I'll tell you "I live at kittens.puppies.love," you can probably remember that, then you key that into an app on your phone when you want to rob my house, and your phone will give you directions based on streets etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:

The three words are only used to pinpoint a destination, not to give directions. In the app for example, once I identify the location with three words it has an option called "Directions to pin". Clicking on that will open a mapping program on my phone (it offers to open Maps or Google Maps) and it automatically fills in the "Get directions" information with my current location and the latitude/longitude of my destination and lets Google Maps figure out how to direct me there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even in well mapped parts of the world, some places don't use street numbers. I don't know how mail ever gets anywhere in Ireland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly they are not really mapping 10m x 10m squares. They are mapping squares in lat-long space (equirectangular projection), which might be about 10x10 at the equator, but are very narrow trapezoids near the north and south poles (and triangles at the poles).

The north pole and south pole, by the way, are each a unique location but have MANY addresses corresponding to them. Try looking up "90,x" for values of x between -128 and 128...

I assume the word dictionary and the hash function are proprietary, so that if you want to develop an app that uses their address space you have to go through them. You could derive the dictionary (or at least the active subset of words) by brute-force searching the whole map. So their "secret sauce" comes down to the (invertible) hash function they use, the interesting part of which probably comes down to about two lines of math.

Pretty cool idea. But if another group implemented their own proprietary version (I'm thinking FedEx, UPS, or even the military) I wonder how hard it would be for them to establish any intellectual property rights. What part of this could they patent? The hash function itself? The rest is pretty straightforward once you get that....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:

ninja

Given that you're really far from me and your game collection is small and doesn't have anything I'm that interested in, you're fairly safe.

wmshub wrote:

Can you send me that link too? I want to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Phennah
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! My mother lives at buzz.waving.gangs and my in-laws are at tadpoles.deadliest.scream!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mailbox is right next to unearthly.craving.rift. That explains why I keep getting junk mail from the Necronomicon of the Month Club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.