Metropolys» Forums » General

Subject: Basic Goal Cards Unbalanced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Bone
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
After our game of Metropolys last night we counted up the spaces on the board that each of the four secret scoring cards (Fountains, Bridges, Lakes, and the Border) with a surprising result. There are an unequal number of spaces on the board that can score points for each of the four players. There are 29 spaces on the board that can score for fountains, 28 for lakes, 31 for bridges, but only 20 for the outside border. Numerically this seems like a pretty severe disadvantage.
In addition, it's the easiest of the four to block tactically. In general if you move the bidding away from a fountain, bridge, or lake you're also moving it toward another fountain, bridge, or lake. But with the border if the bidding moves toward the center, your nearest scoring spaces are always back the way you came.
I've played 4-5 times, and I haven't seen the border player win. Has anyone else found this to be unbalanced as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TruthRevolution wrote:
but only 20 for the outside border. Numerically this seems like a pretty severe disadvantage.
I've played 4-5 times, and I haven't seen the border player win. Has anyone else found this to be unbalanced as well?

At a glance, it looks like you're right. But we've understood the "family version" to just be for learning with kids, and not the "real" game anyway. We always play with the advanced goal cards instead of the simple goal cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bone
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
That's unfortunate that you've not played more with the basic goal cards. The simplified scoring allows for much more depth, in my opinion. You'll always be able to figure out what the other players' goals are about halfway through the game, and then you're just trying to remember what they've played and where they're willing to/trying to go. I just wish it were more balanced is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right with your assessment. But as a player who has won more than once using the borders I can tell you that it might not be as unbalanced as it seems. If played well, the borders can be scored using relatively low numbered pieces if you can manage to create dead ends, allowing you to put down two pieces in consecutive turns. And as the borders are geographically more restricted as the other spaces, it is a bit easier to create those dead ends near the border. My advice would be to not engage in the bidding too early. Try to steer your opponents towards the borders and let them have areas close to it while keeping all of your high value buildings in reserve. Once the other players have invested a couple of their higher value pieces and the border areas get a bit crowded, you can start cherry picking those spaces.
This will not work always, but it is doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.