United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
25 December (Turn 4)

Normal, Poor, 2 hexes

Germans get 1AV and 4 non-AV replacements
Allies get 4AV and 5 non-AV replacements

Allied Air Points: 0

Formation Draw: A(101AB), A(6Cav), A(CCA/9)
The Allies choose…

CCA/9th Armored
The unit takes a recovery to lower fatigue to 2. A 2nd activation is gained.

The SNAFU roll is a Partial. The 89th recon zips to the north of the 79VG HQ (the newly attached 88s are not in support yet, as they have no safe path to the HQ, so there are no AV ZoCs to contend with) and attacks by fire send the newly reconstituted II/208 (stacked with I/212) back to the graveyard. The 19th armoured battalion kills 2 steps of the I/226 (to 3) stacked with the VG HQ. An Attack on the HQ by the armoured infantry trades 1 step losses. Fatigue goes back up to 3.

Formation Draw: G(212VG), A(4AD), A(80ID)
The Allies choose…

80th Infantry Division
This gives a chance to exploit the previous day’s success before the Germans can react and block the route to Wiltz. The division gets a Full activation. F. Grenadier’s bicycle battalion is driven west off the main Wiltz road Unprepared units rapidly march into Wiltz, using the 2nd OBJ marker to enter the German-controlled VP hex.. Fatigue increases to 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(26VG), A(4AD), A(6Cav)
The Allies choose…

4th Armored Division
Rolls a 3 and gets a Fail thanks to the 3 Fatigue on the formation. I really want to make some attacks, so take the fail and roll for a 2nd activation. A ‘3’ achieves this, and the following roll is enough for a Partial. A barrage kills the I/14 FJ battalion blocking the road, allowing TF Irzyk to press north, overrun the 5FJ HQ and lose a step as it bumps into KG Kunkel. The FJ Pioneer battalion is killed by TF Oden and a barrage. TF Alanis kills the last step of the FJ’s division’s Stug Support and a step from III/14. The recon battalion moves adjacent to the same unit and kills another step (to 4). Fatigue remains at 3.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), A(5ID), A(6Cav)
The Allies choose…

5th Infantry Division
The SNAFU roll is a Partial. Attacks drive the 276VG back beyond the Sauer with 2 step losses, and units approach the Dillingen bridge. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), G(79VG), A(4ID)
The Allies choose…

4th Infantry Division
The formation gets a Full activation. They close on the river and barrages kill 5 steps of the defenders. Fatigue stays at 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(9VG), G(15PG), A(101AB)
The Germans choose…

9th Volksgrenadier Division
This new division enters from the east near Bitburg. With a full activation it marches/cycles west heading for Clervaux.

Formation Draw: G(15PG), A(109/28), A(CCB/10)
The Allies choose…

109/28 Regiment
Takes a recovery and lowers Fatigue to 1. There is a 2nd Activation.

The roll is a Full activation. One battalion moves to encircle I/986 in cooperation with the 5th ID, and calls in a barrage that kills 1 step (to 2). The other battalion moves to the broken bridge at Bettendorf, preparing to cross the river. Fatigue remains at 1.

Formation Draw: G(276VG), G(5FJ), G(26VG)
The Germans choose…

26th Volksgrenadier Division
The activation is a Partial. I just realised that the reinforcement of Jgpzrs can be a Support unit, so rather than trek them all the way across the map I’ll assume I assigned it as support at the start of the turn. KG Kunkel deploys and engages TF Irzyk. Both take a loss. A destruction barrage gets a 6 and kills another step of Irzyk (to 2). A final engagement kills another step (to 1) and Irzyk retreats south. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is a 2nd activation.

The activation is Full, dropped to Partial to retain Defense. KG Kunkel Attacks TF Cohen, but loses a step (to 2), and fails to have any effect on the defenders despite artillery support. Fatigue remains at 1.

Formation Draw: G(15PG), A(10AD), A,101AB)
The Allies choose…

10th Armored Division
The activation is Full. The temptation is to ignore 79VG and drive north to capture Clervaux, but the German division is not yet finished, and I think is still too strong to be left to CCA/9 and 109/28. They could cut 10th Armored’s MSR if not eliminated, so the 90th Recon overruns the VG Train and then occupies Gentingen to seal the pocket around the HQ. The Train is flipped to Ghost and is now stacked with the 9VG HQ, giving coordination markers to both units. With no support to worry about, the recon unit pours fire into I/212, causing 1 step loss (to 2). TF Chamberlain kills 2 steps of II/212 (to 1). A Barrage kills a step of II/226 (to 4). Fatigue remains at zero and a 2nd activation is gained.

The SNAFU roll is Full again. II/212 is finished off by TF Chamberlain. Barrages kill 3 more steps and the recon unit reduces I/212 to a single step. Fatigue remains at zero.

Formation Draw: G(276VG), A(CCB/10), G(15PG)
The Germans choose…

15th Panzergrenadier Division
The activation is Full. The route to Wiltz involves passing through the Trains of 26VG and 5FJ, but is necessary to have any chance against the city. The attacks are unsuccessful - even unprepared and without support the battalions of the 80th hold their ground. The Pioneers and a motorised infantry battalion occupy Clervaux. Fatigue remains at zero and a 2nd activation is gained.

Thanks to coordination issues and the need to move the Train forward, the formation only gets a Partial. The armour battalion kills a step of 1/319, and a follow-up Attack drives them south with another loss (to 4). The attack on Wiltz kills a step of the defenders (to 4) but cannot force them out of the City.

Formation Draw: A(26ID), A(CCB/10), G(79VG)
The Allies choose…

26th Infantry Division
The activation is Full. The formation closes with the F. Grenadier Brigade, attempting to envelop the enemy and indecisive skirmishing takes place, with a few losses to both sides. Fatigue remains at 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(5FJ), G(276VG), G(212VG)
The Germans choose…

5th Fallschirmjager Division
The activation is Full. It’s time to fall back before the unit is destroyed by 4th Armored. A semi-line is formed from Chaumont to Harlange, and a barrage knocks a step off TF Cohen (to 4). Fatigue remains at 1. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), G(79VG), G(276VG)
The Germans choose…

276th Volksgrenadier Division
The activation is a Fail. Prep Defense is established, and the encircled I/196 retreats behind the Sauer, taking a step loss. The Train relocates to Mettendorf. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(6 Cav), G(79VG), G(212VG)
The Germans choose…

212th Volksgrenadier Division
The activation is a Partial. The formation reorganises to defend the north bank of the Sauer. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), A(CCB/10), G(F. Gren Bgd)
The Allies choose…

I was hoping that the 6th Cavalry might be able to open a route for the Trains of the Bastogne units before they activated, but it is not to be…

CCB/10th Armored
The unit already has an MSR Blocked 1 marker (because I made a mistake last turn in thinking that it could open a supply route after the withdrawal of the 2nd SS Panzer and Lehr units, so didn’t allocate any air supply), and now the transports are not flying because of the dense cloud. The MSR Blocked increases to 2 and the SNAFU roll is a Fail. TF Cherry loses a step (to 1) due to the lack of supply. I do not roll for a 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(101AB, A(6Cav), G(79VG)
The Allies choose…

6th Cavalry Group
And hope they can create an MSR for the 101st. Unfortunately they roll 1 short of a Full activation, and only get a Partial. Ah - I just spotted that the retreat of 5FJ has opened the route anyway! I go back and place the Train for CCB/10 in 5524 (it doesn’t affect the result of the previous turn, but will allow removal of the MSR Marker next turn). The Cavalry dash north to protect the new supply route, and the 6th Battalion eliminates II/14 of the 5FJ with Attacks by Fire. Fatigue stays at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenBde), A(101AB), G(79VG)
The Germans choose…

F. Grenadier Brigade
The Combat Train has no link to the HQ, but a Partial activation is still obtained. The Brigade attempts to force its way west past the flank of 26ID, but is held up by the stubborn resistance of 3/101. The Train (just) manages to move to a legal hex. The unit remains Fresh and no 2nd activation is gained.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), G(79VG)
A die roll gives the activation to the Allies…

101st Airborne Division
An MSR blocked 1 marker is placed because the Train is off map and there is no aerial supply. I correct the Fatigue back to 1, since a recovery action was not possible for a formation whose Train is not in a legal hex. The SNAFU roll is a Fail. The Train is placed on Ghost side in 5524. A second activation is rolled.

The MSR Blocked marker is removed. A Full activation is obtained. Defense is dropped and the paratroops go on the offensive. The 3/501, with engineer assist, Assaults the 26VG HQ with the result is 1 step loss to the attacker. A follow-up destruction barrage leaves just a single step of Lehr half-track infantry stacked with the HQ. Fatigue remains at 1.

79th Volksgrenadier Division
Cut off from its Train, the SNAFU roll is a Fail. The entire formation except the 88s, conduct voluntary retreats, losing a couple of steps, but putting the HQ, now in Roth-bei-Prum, back on the MSR. A second activation is obtained.

The roll is a Pass. Most battalions flip back to their deployed sides and try to block a US drive north. The remaining 88s fire at TF Standish and kill a step (to 7). A Barrage kills another step of Standish (yep, another 6 rolled) but has no effect on the CCA/9 recon battalion. Fatigue remains at zero.

The Allies are looking unstoppable, with the equivalent of two and a half German divisions in the graveyard for no significant US casualties. I may be playing the Germans badly, but I don’t honestly see what they can do to reduce losses. The US artillery firepower is tremendous, and when an infantry division loses support they are toast in front of armoured units (like the hapless 5th FJ and 79th VG). Ettelbruck and Wiltz have been re-captured by the Allies, and they are in no current danger of losing Bastogne. They need Clervaux for the win.

26 December (Turn 5)

Freeze, Good, Any

Germans get 2AV plus 1 Tiger and 5 non-AV replacements
Allies get 4AV and 14 non-AV replacements

Allied Air Points: 6

Formation Draw: A(26ID), A(10AD), A(35ID)
The Allies choose…

10th Armored Division
The unit is scheduled to be withdrawn next turn, so will spend this activation trying to finish off 79VG to open the way north for CCA/9 and 109/28. The SNAFU roll is only a Partial. A barrage sends the 88s to the Graveyard, and the other units kills a couple of steps of 79VG. The engineers take a 2 step loss (to 2) while attacking II/226. Fatigue increases to 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(5ID), G(212VG), A(80ID)
The Allies choose…

80th Infantry Division
The activation is Partial. Prepared Defense is set up so that Wiltz can be held. The division presses forward to support the Wiltz garrison, but no other units can reach the city. Artillery kills 1 step of a 15PG unit on the northern outskirts. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), A(CCA/9), G(276VG)
The Allies choose…

CCA/9th Armored
With Fatigue 3 the SNAFU roll is failed. A flip is used to lower fatigue to 2.

Formation Draw: G(5FJ), A(CCB/10), A(4ID)
The Allies choose…

CCB/10th Armored
The MSR Blocked marker is removed. The activation is a Partial. TF O’Hara has been reconstituted now replacements can reach the formation. The new JgPzrs supporting 26VG make them dangerous targets for TF Cherry. The Command simply consolidates on the main roads around Bastogne. A second activation is gained and is used to recover, and drop fatigue to zero.

Formation Draw: A(109/28), G(26VG), G(15PG)
The Germans choose…

The unit gets a Partial activation. The siege of Bastogne is effectively over, and the decision is made to regroup towards the NE to block the roads to Clervaux and Houffalize. Artillery kills a step of 1/506 (to 3), but KG Kunkel loses a step attempting to drop support of 3/501. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(4AD), G(F Gren Bde), A(35ID)
The Allies choose…

4th Armored Division
With a roll of 11 the formation manages a Full activation, despite the 3 fatigue. 5FJ has reconstituted the support unit of Stugs, so cannot just be bypassed. Combat and barrages kill 5 steps of the fallshirmjager for no US loss. Fatigue remains at 3 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(5FJ), G(15PG), G(F Gren Bde)
The Germans choose…

Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade
The formation needs to go before 26ID or it will probably be completely surrounded. The Train is 16 hexes away, so not at optimum. The roll of 9 gets a Full activation anyway. The Tigers that were recovered in the Prep phase break down before they can act, and are removed once again. The Panther Battalion drops the support of the 3/101. It tries a shock attack to force it back from the trail. The attempt loses a step (to 3),. The HQ decides on a voluntary retreat to Arsdorf, bypassing the blocked trail. The Train cannot move to a legal hex and is removed from the map. Fresh status is retained and a 2nd activation is gained.

An MSR Blocked 1 marker is placed. With a roll of 3 the SNAFU is failed. The HQ continues to retreat north but needs a further 2 hexes before the Train could be legally placed. The Panthers are out of command radius and lose a step (to 2). Looks like I was too aggressive earlier in how far south I pushed the Brigade. I didn’t expect 80th ID to be able to break through so fast.

Formation Draw: G(9VG), G(5FJ), A(101AB)
The Germans choose…

They are ordered to support 15PG in retaking Wiltz, while also needing to block an Allied advance up Skyline Drive. The initial activation is Full. The division heads for the bridge at Gemund, with the leady cyclists 4 hexes short and the rest of the formation strung out over 16 km of road. A 2nd activation is gained.

This time the unit only gets a Partial. The lead battalion crosses the Our, just short of Skyline Drive and still a full day’s march from Wiltz.

Formation Draw: A(6AD), G(5FJ), G(276VG)
The Germans choose…

The formation wants to unstack its battalions before the Allied artillery rains down death. The SNAFU roll is a Fail however, and the unit uses a Flip to lower Fatigue to 2.

Formation Draw: A(35ID), G(212VG), G(79VG)
The Germans choose…

The unit gets a Partial activation. It tidies the line somewhat, and a desultory barrage has no effect. Fatigue remains at 2 and a 2nd activation is gained, which is used to recover and lower fatigue to 1.

Formation Draw: G(79VG), A(109/28), A(35ID)
The Allies choose…

35th Infantry Division
The reinforcing Division gets a full activation to follow in the tracks of 4th Armored. It swings north-east at Martelange, to cut off the retreat of F. Grenadier Brigade. A second activation is gained.

The SNAFU roll gives a Partial. Two battalions attack the 929th and drive it away to the SE with a step loss (to 3), tightening the noose around the Grenadiers. Fatigue remains at 1.

Formation Draw: G(79VG), A(26ID), G(5FJ)
The Germans choose…

5th Fallshirmjager Division
Under serious pressure from 4th Armored, and down to less than 50% strength the division is in trouble. A roll of 12 gives a full activation. Two battalions are encircled by 6th Armored units, and KG Bernk is motorised, and unable to escape by a voluntary retreat. Instead, the II/13 attacks the 25th cavalry hoping to break the pocket. At the cost of a step they succeed in breaking through, and a destruction barrage kills 1 step of TF Irzyk (to 1). Fatigue remains at 1 and a 2nd activation is gained.

The result is a Partial. The HQ is forced to retreat to maintain contact with the MSR. Other battalions fall back eastward.

Formation Draw: A(6Cav), G(15PG), G(79VG)
The Germans choose…

15th PanzerGrenadier Division
The unit gets a full activation. The panzers move up to Wiltz and drop the support of the defender, killing a step of the supporting tanks (to 2) but failing to do any damage with an attack by Fire. An assault on the City gives a step loss to each unit, and a follow-up destruction barrage is lucky to kill another defending step (to 3). Fatigue increases to 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(79VG), A(5ID), A(6AD)
The Allies choose…

5th Infantry Division
The unit gets a Full activation. A destruction barrage sends the 2 battered battalions in 4208 to the graveyard. One step of a battalion defending the bridge at Dillingen is also lost. The 1/10 crosses the Sauer to face the West Wall, and the rest of the division lines the south bank. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(6AD), A(4ID), A(101AB)
The Allies choose…

101st Airborne Division
The SNAFU roll is a Partial. 3/501 attacks and eliminates KG Kunkel at the cost of a step (to 3), and the paratroops follow up 26VG as they pull back from the Bastogne perimeter. Fatigue increases to 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(6AD), A(109/28), A(6Cav)
The Allies choose…

6th Cavalry Group
The Full activation is gained. To avoid mixed unit and coordination problems, the Group is ordered to swing around the NW of Bastogne and advance on Houfallize. Lead units get within 3km of Bertogne. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(26ID), G(79VG), A(4ID)
The Allies choose…

26th Infantry Division
This division need to move first to clear the way for 6th AD to move through Ettelbruck. Unfortunately the SNAFU roll is a Fail. I decide to risk accepting the Fail and trying for a 2nd activation rather than recover. A 5 or 6 is needed but only a 4 is rolled. The division spends the day in command confusion.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), A(6AD), G(79VG)
The Allies choose…

6th Armored Division
I’m not going to be able to prevent coordination and mixed formation problems with 26ID. The division only manages a Partial activation. The division reaches Ettelbruck and gets a 2nd activation.

The result is another Partial. Units push forward into position to replace 10th Armored when it is withdrawn. A barrage is able to clear out the defenders of the city of Vianden. Fatigue remains at zero.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), A(109/28), G(79VG)
The Allies choose…

109th/28 Regiment
The activation is Full. The battalions commence crossing the Sauer at Bettandorf. In theory support would be dropped while crossing the unbridged river, but on the north bank there is a safe route to the HQ via the Gilsdorf Bridge, so it is immediately regained. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), G(79VG)
The Allies win the roll…

4th Infantry Division
The unit gets a Full activation. Barrages kill 3 steps of 212VG units. Fatigue remains at 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

The Train is illegal due to 10th Armored cutting the MSR. With a roll of 10 the unit still manages a Partial activation. Ah - just realised that the 90th Cavalry battalion had been motoring through West Wall hexes to get to the east of 79VG HQ. These hexes are STOP terrain for Allied units, so it should have halted in Gentigen. I’ve moved it back, and the 79VG now gets a Full activation, as the Train is legal after all. Vianden is reoccupied, and the II/226 retreats as the best way to get in CR again. A barrage kills 1 step of the 99th Cavalry. Fatigue remains at zero and a 2nd activation is gained.

This time the result is a Partial. Prep Defense is set up, and a barrage kills a step of 6th Armored’s TF Wall (to 5).

Whew! The Germans are in real trouble. The F. Grenadier Brigade is pocketed and the 5FJ nearly so. Only a single German battalion prevents the US 6th Armored taking the Skyline Drive to Clervaux, and numerical superiority means that the Germans cannot effectively counter-attack to regain any lost VP hexes. Just realised I had 6 air points that I didn’t use for the Allies. Ah well - they don’t really need ‘em. Let the fly boys have a rest day.

27 December (Turn 6)

Freeze, Good, 2 hexes

The F. Begeit Brigade arrives as a reinforcement north of Bastogne and US 10th Armored is withdrawn.

Germans get 1 AV and 5 non-AV replacements
Allies get 6 AV and 22 non-AV replacements

Allied Air Points: 9

Formation Draw: G(FGrenBde), A(80ID), G(79VG)
The Germans choose…

The unit gets a Full activation. Barrages kill 2 adjacent steps. Fatigue remains at zero and there is a 2nd activation.

This is also Full. The 89th Battalion of CCA/9 is destroyed, and 2 further steps eliminated from 6th Armored. Fatigue remains at zero.

Formation Draw: A(6AD), A(35ID), G(FGrenBde)
The Allies choose…

35th Infantry Division
The formation is ordered to march north to pocket 5FJ and 26VG, and to cut the supply line to the attackers of Wiltz. The SNAFU roll is Full. 2/134 attacks the 5FJ HQ and the unprepared battalion stacked with it. The attackers lose a step, but artillery kills 2 defending steps (to 2). Fatigue remains at 1 and a 2nd activation is gained.

A Partial is obtained. 2/137 continues north to Oberwampach, displacing the Trains of 5FJ and 28VG. Other units encircle the 26VG HQ, block any path west for the trapped Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade, and kill another step stacked with the 5FJ HQ. Fatigue remains 1.

Formation Draw: A(6Cav), G(F Gren Bde), A(CCB/10)
The Allies choose…

6th Cavalry Group
With intelligence that a fresh Brigade is approaching Bastogne from the NW the Group is ordered to block the river crossing at Ortheuville - the only practical route for motorised units. The activation is Full. The cavalry move into position on both sides of the bridge. A second activation is obtained and used to recover down to zero fatigue.

Formation Draw: G(F BegBde), G(9VG), G(212VG)
The Germans choose…

Thanks to being Fresh the formation just manages to qualify for a Full activation. The division rushes west, sending the lead battalion to Hoscheid to block Skyline Drive while the formation gathers around Hosingen/Wahlhausen preparatory to driving on Wiltz. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(5ID), A(6AD), A(CCB/10)
The Allies choose…

6th Armored Division
The formation gets a Partial activation. TF Davell motors up Skyline Drive, drops the support of I/35, and carries out a Shock Attack with air support. The defenders retreat, but traffic in the hex hampers further pursuit. The 86 Cavalry is able to get adjacent to the 9VG line, and attack by fire kills a step of I/36 (to 4). It is able to place an OBJ by recon, which allows barrages (including 4 air points) to kill 3 more steps The rest of the division shakes itself loose from 79VG and follows north. Fatigue remains at zero and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(276VG), A(101AB), A(4AD)
The Allies choose…

4th Armored Division
With 3 fatigue and a ghost Train it’s not surprising that the division only manages a Partial activation. TF Irzyk unwisely engages I/39 to the north, and loses both steps to the support fire from JagdPanzers. TF Oden drops the support of KG Bernk, but the follow up attack fails. TF Alanis hits II/13, killing 3 steps (to 1) as the battalion is forced to retreat through Allied ZoCs. Barrages and air support kill a step from each of the remaining para battalions. Fatigue remains at 3. A second activation is rolled and is used for recovery to drop fatigue to 2.

Formation Draw: G(26VG), G(276VG), A(CCB/10)
The Germans choose…

The Train is no longer in a legal hex as the HQ has been cut off. With a roll of 11 however, the unit still manages a Partial activation. The reformed KG Kunkel attempts to force a way through the 1/134. It drops support, killing step of the supporting tank destroyers (to 2). An attack by Fire kills a step, and then an Attack with a suppression barrage forces the 1/134 to retreat (with Traffic), but Kunkel is used up in the process. Other units scramble to escape the trap. Isolation kills 1 step, but the HQ is able to get back into supply. Fatigue increase to 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(5ID), A(26ID), G(276VG)
The Allies choose…

26th Infantry Division
After 24 hours to rest and reorganise, the 26th still only manages a Partial activation. The unit probes forward until it contacts the F. Grenadier Brigade, and a barrage kills 2 steps of the bicycle battalion (to 1). Fatigue remains at 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(80ID), A(CCB/10), A(CCA/9)
The Allies choose…

80th Infantry Division
A Full activation is dropped to Partial to retain prepared defense. The division moves to support the garrison of Wiltz, artillery killing a step of the III/104. Fatigue remains at 1 and a 2nd activation is gained.

Another Full is dropped to Partial. Artillery kill another step of III/104 (to 4) and 3/319 crosses to the north bank of the Wiltz stream. Fatigue remains at 1.

Formation Draw: A(5ID), G(5FJ), A(CCB/10)
The Allies choose…

CCB/10th Armored
The SNAFU roll is a Partial. The formation moves north through Bastogne to engage the I/77 east of Bertogne. A 2pt air barrage is called in, but even in the open the German infantry weather the attack without loss. Fatigue remains at zero and a 2nd activation is gained.

This time the activation is Full. TF Cherry attempts to drop support on I/77, but loses a step and is STOPPED. TF O’Hara Attacks and kills 2 steps (to 3), sending the Germans fleeing back to Noville. Fatigue increases to 1.

Formation Draw: G(15PG), A(4ID), G(FBegBde)
The Germans choose…

15th Panzergrenadier Brigade
With no chance now of taking Wiltz, and with the possibility of being enveloped by the 80th ID the Brigade is ordered to fall back and defend the approaches to Clervaux until reinforcements arrive. The activation is Full. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(5FJ), G(212VG), A(101AB)
The Germans choose…

5th Fallshirmjager Division
The Train is in an illegal hex, and the SNAFU roll is a Fail. The HQ retreats to 1520 - the nearest road hex not in an Allied ZoC. The battalions retreat to follow the HQ north where possible, with the pocketed III/14 losing a step (to 1). At the end of the activation the Train is removed from the map, as it still has no legal hex. No 2nd activation is gained.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), G(276VG), A(CCA/9)
The Allies choose…

101st Airborne Division
The formation gets a Partial. The division closes up on the trapped parachutists. Barrages send 2 battalions to the graveyard and knock a step off the 2/901. Fatigue increases to 3. There is a 2nd activation.

The activation is another Partial. The 5FJ HQ is chased all the way back to Allerborn. Artillery kills another couple of steps. Fatigue remains at 3.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), A(109/28), G(276VG)
The Allies choose…

109th/28 Regiment
The unit gets a full activation and advances on Vianden, calling in artillery which kills 1 step of the I/208 (to 3). Fatigue increases to 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenBde), A(4ID), G(FBegBde)
The Germans choose…

F. Begleit Brigade
The unit enters with 1 Fatigue, but still gets a Full activation. The defended bridge at Ortheuville is the only realistic choice to get the Brigade into action. Begleit’s panzers engage 6th Cavalry’s 6th Battalion, kill 1 step and force a retreat. They follow up to Ortheuville itself and similarly drive off the 28th cavalry battalion, ending their move. The panzergrenadiers drive over the bridge and overrun 6 Cavalry HQ, then Attack 6th Battalion. Another step is lost (to 2), and the battalion retreats to Sprimont. Fatigue remains at 1 and a 2nd activation is gained.

The 2nd activation is also Full. The Panzers deploy and take the lead, again killing a step of each cavalry battalion and driving them east. The rest of the brigade follows up, overrunning the HQ again, and creating havoc with the Trains supplying the 101st and CCB/10. II/FB drives off the 28th Battalion, killing a step (to 1) and allowing the 6th battalion to be encircled for the assisted attack from I/FB. This is the first attack that fails to go to plan, with the attackers losing a step (to 4). Fatigue remains at 1.

Formation Draw: G(212VG), A(4ID), G(276VG)
The Germans choose…

The Train is currently illegal, but with a roll of 2 the Fail is assured anyway. The HQ retreats (losing Prepared Defense) in order to re-establish the MSR. The Train is able to flip out of Ghost mode, but the infantry are still stacked in the Dilingen bridge hex, and sitting ducks. No 2nd activation is gained.

Formation Draw: A(CCA/9), G(FGrenBde), A(5ID)
The Allies choose…

CCA/9th Armored
The unit gets a Full activation. Taking advantage of the ‘buddy’ rules, the formation drives through the 6th Armored to engage 9VG. The tanks drop support on I/36 and kill a step with attack by fire (to 2). A follow-up attack drives the defenders north. The armoured infantry attack the unprepared I/116. They take a loss but also drive the defenders off. Fatigue remains at 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

At this point errata come out so that no unit can be the subject of more than one barrage in a single activation. Previously the US had occasionally been following failed Attacks (using a suppression barrage) with a 2pt destruction barrage but this is no longer allowed. I don’t think it will hamper them too much.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), G(FGrenBde), G(212VG)
The Germans choose…

The division gets a Full activation. It is dropped to Partial to retain the Defence. The battered Fusileers fall back out of artillery range, while the Penal battalion moves to shadow any river crossing by 3/22. Artillery fails to harm to the US. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), A(5ID), G (FGrenBde)
The Allies choose…

4th Infantry Division
The activation is Full. Barrages kill 5 steps of the opposing division, including 2 from the garrison of Echternach. Fatigue remains at 2 and there is a 2nd activation.

This is just a Partial. One more step is killed, leaving 5 battalion of 212VG with but a single step. Fatigue remains at 2.

Formation Draw: A(5ID), G(FGrenBde)
The die roll favours the Germans..

Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade
The Brigade is still completely cut off with its Train off map, and an MSR Blocked 2 marker is placed. The Brigade still manages to get a Partial activation. The panzers drop support of 1/137 but destroy themselves in failed shock attacks to drive over the bridge. The Grenadier battalion attempts an Attack against the same target, but loses 2 steps. Isolation destroys 1 step per unit, sending the bicycle battalion to the graveyard. The unit finally loses Fresh status and becomes Fatigue zero! No 2nd activation is attempted.

5th Infantry Division
The formation activation is Full. The division sends 6 battalions north to deal with 79VG, while the remainder surround and then eliminate the last two battalions of 276VG. A point of attached artillery and the 2 steps of 88s survive to be reassigned next turn. The HQ, support and Train are removed. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Martelange is a US VP hex, isn't it, so Clervaux isn't needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Kassel wrote:

The Allied objectives are to hold Bastogne and to recapture 3 of the Allied VP hexes (from Ettelbruck, Wiltz, Houffalize, Clervaux and Ouren. Martelange is a German VP hex but not an Allied one, so doesn't count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredible AAR, just incredible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rutan wrote:
Tom Kassel wrote:

The Allied objectives are to hold Bastogne and to recapture 3 of the Allied VP hexes (from Ettelbruck, Wiltz, Houffalize, Clervaux and Ouren. Martelange is a German VP hex but not an Allied one, so doesn't count.

My apologies Tom - you are correct. Martelange is an Allied VP hex! Well that changes things completely. The Allies have won, since as far as I can see there is little chance of them failing to take Clervaux in the next 4 turns, and no chance at all that the Germans can retake Wiltz or capture Bastogne. I'll call the scenario at this point and declare an Allied victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.