Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Since I wrote this, Giga-Robo has experienced a huge funding surge and broken through two of the biggest stretch goals: plastic 3D buildings and unique card art. While this doesn't have an impact on the price you'd pay at retail (since the unlocked content is for the core set), it does mean that what you get in the box is a whole bunch of awesome plastic, and over two hundred cards bearing awesome, unique art. With 8 hours left in the campaign, I thought I'd mention it.

The Giga-Robo! Kickstarter page was updated with the anticipated retail prices today, and with only 6 days left in the campaign, I thought it would be a good time to compare what you get with a kickstarter pledge vs. what you can expect to get (and pay) in retail.

A big revelation was that the two stretch goal expansions won't be included in the retail core set. I know there are some people out there who like the look of this game, but were thinking of waiting for it to hit retail before buying. That's a legitimate choice, but if you do you'll either pay a lot more, or get a lot less.

Here's the breakdown of the differences between the $70 kickstarter pledge* and the $80 retail core set.

Kickstarter v Retail
Pilots: 7 v 4
Pilot Cards: 91 v 52
Robots: 6 v 4
Robot Cards: 198 v 132
Unique Pilot/Robot Combinations: 42 v 16

As far as pilot/robot content goes, the kickstarter pledge is packing about 50% more content than the retail core set will. None of that content is Kickstarter exclusive--it's intended to be released as expansions--but it will carry an additional price-tag.

The kickstarter pledge is $70 + shipping. To get the same content in retail (assuming you can find a copy), it would cost:

Retail Prices:
Core Set: $80
Assault of the Armada Expansion: $16
Warrior of the Wastes Expansion: $18
Med'racht Singh Pilot Expansion: $10
4 packs of custom sleeves: $20
Total: $144

One final note: if you're planning on waiting for retail and getting a discount through an online retailer... you might need to think again. Giga-Robo is independently published, and won't have a print run on the same scale as a game like Blood Rage. It's more comparable to projects like the fantastic Assault on Doomrock, which isn't available from CoolstuffInc (it's available on Miniature Market, but this discount is only about 10%, and the expansion is unavailable).

* Note: I'm including the "Warrior of the Wastes" stretch goal expansion in my estimates of the kickstarter pledge content; this stretch goal hasn't been unlocked yet, but almost certainly will (unlocks at $62K, campaign is trending towards $70K+). Unlocked!

Additional Note: As Stefan rightly pointed out, one of the "kickstarter exclusive" elements of Giga-Robo is pre-painted miniatures. The retail box will contain unpainted miniatures, just like the $70 pledge level of the kickstarter. But through the kickstarter campaign, you can have the four core robots pre-painted for $15, and the two expansion robots painted for $5 each. So for a $95 kickstarter pledge, you'd have six painted robots, and it would still be cheaper than buying the unpainted content when it comes to retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
Esplugues de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kickstarter v Retail: Price and Value
Eldil wrote:

* Note: I'm including the "Warrior of the Wastes" stretch goal expansion in my estimates of the kickstarter pledge content; this stretch goal hasn't been unlocked yet, but almost certainly will (unlocks at $62K, campaign is trending towards $70K+).

If that's the case you are missing Kong, of The Wastes Pilot Expansion: $10

Total: $132

Even better value

Nothing to see here. Move along blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
Eldil wrote:

* Note: I'm including the "Warrior of the Wastes" stretch goal expansion in my estimates of the kickstarter pledge content; this stretch goal hasn't been unlocked yet, but almost certainly will (unlocks at $62K, campaign is trending towards $70K+).

Even better value :)

I assumed the "Warrior of the Wastes" expansion would be similarly priced to the "Assault of the Armada" expansion ($16), and that includes the pilot Kong. I don't think Kong will be sold separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
Esplugues de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
Victor Mancha wrote:
Eldil wrote:

Even better value

I assumed the "Warrior of the Wastes" expansion would be similarly priced to the "Assault of the Armada" expansion ($16), and that includes the pilot Kong. I don't think Kong will be sold separately.

Yeah, you are right, I got the two Zoider pilots mixed blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Yates
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just wanted to add that you can also get all six Giga-Robo! minis professionally painted through the kickstarter.com campaign for an additional $25 (Factory painted based on commissioned paint job.) Again, that's for ALL six not each one. Good luck finding someone to do a commission paint job for that price!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to see this campaign doing well, and also that the KS backers are getting a great value for their support.

It's still a game that I'm waiting for retail to consider diving in to. It's just not something that I would for sure enjoy playing enough. And it seems like it's going to struggle to get out of the niche that it's in, so home play is about all you can count on. Hopefully it catches on in greater circle and generates interest in organized/local play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see organized play! For a small company that would be difficult to do, but man that'd be fun. It would be a great way to get dedicated playtesters for expansions too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
styates wrote:
Just wanted to add that you can also get all six Giga-Robo! minis professionally painted through the kickstarter.com campaign for an additional $25. Again, that's for ALL six not each one. Good luck finding someone to do a commission paint job for that price!

Good luck getting that stretch goal out on time/budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandor Cserr
United States
Seminole
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm confused. The Premium level pledge gets you all 4 of the core bots painted, but not the expansion bots in the stretch goals? So if I wanted to get those bots (pending they are both unlocked) painted, I would need to tack an extra $10 to my pledge, right?

In addition, if I wanted to get Ayzn Black and Phoenix Wing Chogoking, that's another $35, and then to get them painted, we're looking at another $10?

So at the end of all that, my Premium pledge would need to be $140?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, these are factory painted miniatures based off paint masters we're commissioning. They're not being made through a private painting studio.

We're putting minis into production first for painting while we're finalizing graphic assets and putting in final art commissions. We also have a hard estimate from our manufacturer, and have already overbudgeted to cover any excess costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSnadd wrote:
So I'm confused. The Premium level pledge gets you all 4 of the core bots painted, but not the expansion bots in the stretch goals? So if I wanted to get those bots (pending they are both unlocked) painted, I would need to tack an extra $10 to my pledge, right?

In addition, if I wanted to get Ayzn Black and Phoenix Wing Chogoking, that's another $35, and then to get them painted, we're looking at another $10?

So at the end of all that, my Premium pledge would need to be $140?

If warrior of the wastes is unlocked, then $140 will cover everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jetjagaa wrote:
Just to clarify, these are factory painted miniatures based off paint masters we're commissioning. They're not being made through a private painting studio.

We're putting minis into production first for painting while we're finalizing graphic assets and putting in final art commissions. We also have a hard estimate from our manufacturer, and have already overbudgeted to cover any excess costs.

Thanks for the clarification! I'll edit for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Just for reference on the paint add-on...

I'm deliberately NOT getting my minis painted because I like doing that myself. It's in part that I want to put my own unique spin on the designs with custom colours, but also simply that I enjoy painting (even if I'm not very good at it).

Even though I won't be having to pay someone to do the painting (with the compromise that my paintjob probably won't have the same quality), I'm going to probably be spending around $20 on quality paints.

That painting add-on is really good value for money when you consider that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion Doll is right. If you think at some point you'd want your models prepainted this is the way to go. Any private studio is going to charge much more than that and if you bought the painting supplies yourself you'd almost definitely pay more than the current total. Miniature model paints, primer, sealant, brushes etc all add up

I am a hobby mini painter. I've already got all my supplies, but I am considering paying for the prepaints at that price. I can always buy another set at retail if I want to paint them up myself and with the kids now I'm not sure how quickly this would get through my painting queue. It would be nice to play with them painted day one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Leonardo
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
obliviondoll wrote:
Just for reference on the paint add-on...

I'm deliberately NOT getting my minis painted because I like doing that myself. It's in part that I want to put my own unique spin on the designs with custom colours, but also simply that I enjoy painting (even if I'm not very good at it).

Even though I won't be having to pay someone to do the painting (with the compromise that my paintjob probably won't have the same quality), I'm going to probably be spending around $20 on quality paints.

That painting add-on is really good value for money when you consider that.

Nice to see another Kiwi In here. at the very least I have you to play against when I get my hands on my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.