5 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Excalibur Expansion - Meggan Custom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
So I am working on an Excalibur expansion (see this thread for full description of what I have planned: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1614599/nightcrawler-my-fir...). When it is complete I will compile all the cards into one thread but I wanted to keep them separate during the proof reading and revisions stage so that I don't have to search through a whole thread for comments on a particular card set. Today's Contribution is Meggan:

Any Input is appreciated.

Meggan was interesting to work with because there is so much going on in her character and abilities. She has elemental control similar to storm, she can harness other mutants form and abilities like rogue/mystique combo, she can just shape-shift (without obtaining powers) but her shape shifting is effected by multiple factors including her current mood as well as what those around her want her to look like...and that is just her primary abilities. There are a bunch of other lesser abilities that could also come into play. At the end of the day she is really powerful but also at times emotionally volatile which in turn effects her powers as well. I tried my best to capture that.

Common 1 - basic attack card with a SPECTRUM kicker

Common 2 - used the new SIZE-CHANGE mechanic, and did a little twist on the rogue cards where instead of inheriting a the aspects of another hero card you are gaining the powers (attack) of a villain instead. I think this is cool twist. The fact that you have to discard the card if you don't draw a villain is to play on her volatility. It is a pretty complex card, particularly for a common, but I think the risk/reward is balanced pretty well to make it a good fit as a common. I also wanted it to be a dual color/skill card to give a better chance to trigger the other common that has SPECTRUM. Although I could be talked into adjusting this card to be the uncommon (that is what I had it as originally). So let me know what you think.

Uncommon - Simple VERSATILITY card based on the concept of her being able to control nature for a variety of purposes including helping allies and fighting bad guys. I made this the uncommon because none of the skills other than INSTINCT made sense so adding a secondary skill to this card would have seemed out of place and like I said I really wanted to 2nd common card to have 2 skills so that it could more easily trigger the 1st common. But perhaps that make the first common too easy to trigger? Like I said, I am not sure about all of this, let me know your thoughts.

Rare - I like this card a lot. Meggan is famous for using her empathetic abilities in conjunction with her shape-shifting ability to make herself look however who she is talking to wants her to look. Obviously this has recruiting advantages but it can also be used to manipulate her enemies so I thought putting a big recruit # on this card made sense but it also seemed like a cool idea to allow her to target a particular enemy and defeat him/her via manipulation rather than fighting and it seemed like BRIBE was a good way to show that.

I would love feedback and input.

UPDATE: I found new art for the rare card that I think is better than either of my 2 previous options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
She needs a less revealing costume for her rare card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
1qwerty wrote:
She needs a less revealing costume for her rare card.

Honestly, I don't disagree but she is an obscure enough character that finding quality artwork was really tough. If you google her I think you will find that the majority of the artwork available is much more reavealing. That said I haven't given up and if you can find something more family friendly I would love to see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
Changed Rare art

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.