Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, opportunity to speculate is dwindling, given that a lucky few will be able to start playing as early as ... Friday? So let's get some last minute speculation in!

The rulebook states that "Milestones always bring a new event card into the game". So, what event cards do you think might be added by the milestones introduced (but not necessarily resolved) in game 1? (Since the four prologue milestones don't introduce events, according to the rules!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In that same paragraph that says "Milestones always bring a new event card into the game," it also says "in the prologue, there are special milestones used only in that game that do not bring in new event cards," haha. So no new ones there, which makes sense, as there are only 4 bagged event cards and only 4 Game 1 milestones that are not 'Unlock' ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what you're talking about. I don't see *any* reference (any more) in my post about events being unlocked during the prologue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Becq wrote:
I don't know what you're talking about. I don't see *any* reference (any more) in my post about events being unlocked during the prologue!

Sneaky, sneaky! Now I look like the crazy one! =P

Honestly, I couldn't even begin to imagine what shenanigans might be added into that event deck (and which events may even be removed/destroyed?). I'm sure there will be basic things, like "Linen costs +2 Gold" or "You may not use advisors," but there are probably events in there that are so wildly different, that they aren't even on my radar, like "Swab the decks counterclockwise this turn," or "Crows nests may only be used while docked at an alchemy tower." Ugh, this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that the events added will be linked to the milestone triggers. So perhaps the one linked to building structures and the one linked to buying treasures will affect future construction/purchases on the turn the event occurs. Perhaps a discount, or the ability to use different goods than normal?

I think I remember in one of the podcasts Rob saying something about there being events linked to enmity. I'm half expecting an event (probably generated by the "raid the difficulty 6 site" milestone) that triggers effects to simulate raid by the islands. Maybe something along the lines of "The island with the most total enmity raids the player it has the most enmity against. That player loses X gold due to damage caused." Or perhaps ships at islands with that players enmity get attacked, and take some damage or lose some cargo.

My initial thought for exploration was that it would be linked to exploring new sea rows. But I think that would have to be in one of the unlock boxes. So maybe it gives bonus dice for exploring or bonus glory for exploring during that turn?

So yeah, I'm with you. I can think of a series of mundane things, but who knows what wacky stuff they might throw at us? Then again ... I wouldn't be shocked if most or all of the first set of new events were *fairly* mundane, and would generally serve the purpose of beefing up the diversity of the "core" events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe a favorable winds that grants +1 sail

Or a stormy weather event. Any ship moving its full sail value takes one damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
New event:

"All Boats named Boaty McBoatface are unable to move this turn. Bob the Traveller's bonuses now count double."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benmartell wrote:
New event:

"All Boats named Boaty McBoatface are unable to move this turn. Bob the Traveller's bonuses now count double."

I'm almost positive I heard this in a podcast. Possibly in my mind, but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:

There's already a "Smooth Seas" event in the base set that does this ("This round, all ships have Sail +1"), so I wouldn't think they would add a duplicate as a milestone...
Quote:
Or a stormy weather event. Any ship moving its full sail value takes one damage.

Hm. Or maybe all ships that are still in open seas at the end of the turn? Could be! Or something like this care might be one of the last couple of as-yet unknown cards in the starting 6 events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Becq wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

There's already a "Smooth Seas" event in the base set that does this ("This round, all ships have Sail +1"), so I wouldn't think they would add a duplicate as a milestone...

Ah, I must have missed that in the preview. I agree they wouldn't duplicate it.

So I will change that prediction to...Release the Kraken: Do something something with the kraken mini I am hoping is in one of the sealed boxes. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Becq wrote:
benmartell wrote:
New event:

I'm almost positive I heard this in a podcast. Possibly in my mind, but still...

I didn't hear it in a podcast, so if so that would be quite uncanny!

Of course, regarding Bob the Traveller, I just want to make sure he gets all the recognition he deserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
I imagine the initial six event cards are simple things, besides the Sail +1, something like Selling goods is +1 gold this turn, Buying goods is -1, Building -1, Upgrading -1, and maybe Raid +1? That's six right there.

I checked the back of the manual and there are thirty lines available to write down milestones, so I'd guess that puts an upper cap of 30 new events. That's quite a jump from six! I wonder if there are even duplicates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well they showed a couple of them in the preview.

Was thinking that Fog event would be a good time to raid the island that makes you reroll weak successes. You would have a 60% chance of getting at least one success and 20% chance of getting 2. Making each die worth an average of 0.8 successes.

Normal raids against that island, each die is worth 0.6 successes. So fog improves your chances here by 33%.

Normal raids against other islands are 0.66 without fog, 0.83 with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.