Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Was PLaning on getting Mansions of Madness and FFG announced the second edition. The question is: What about the expansions ? will they reprint/release the 1st edition expansions as 2nd edition ? Or shoul i get the second edition core and 1st edition expansions and use the conversion kit ?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
christizzz wrote:
I Was PLaning on getting Mansions of Madness and FFG announced the second edition. The question is: What about the expansions ? will they reprint/release the 1st edition expansions as 2nd edition ? Or shoul i get the second edition core and 1st edition expansions and use the conversion kit ?

Thank you

Buy second edition, and if you want more options with 2E scenarios, buy the 1E products (at a high markup at this point) and use the conversion kit. Might as well enjoy the 1E scenarios with one player as a keeper to mix things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what i understood the 2nd edition will get its own "expansions/scenarios"... the conversion kit is just for the owners of the first edition to use their components in some scenarios...did i get that right ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
christizzz wrote:
From what i understood the 2nd edition will get its own "expansions/scenarios"... the conversion kit is just for the owners of the first edition to use their components in some scenarios...did i get that right ?

Exactly. I really don't think buying the 1st edition games just for use in the 2nd edition is worth it. The tiles you can use are purely cosmetic (as the tiles are in general) and the extra investigators and monsters provide for a little more variation but that's really all there is to it.

I would get the 2nd edition and get any additional content we know they will release eventually to back it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christizzz wrote:

Yeah that's right. I would recommend the new one since it is new and will see all kinds of support. Where as the first edition will be marked up now and all the expansions have come and gone.

If the position of the keeper looks good to you then that would be the reason to get 1st edition at this point imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mb
christizzz wrote:

Yes. Owners of 1st edition or its big expansions can register that with the app and it will draw upon some of the tiles, monsters, etc. when populating the game.

Since this is Fantasy Flight games, and since Descent has already provided a roadmap for where this is going, we can say with full confidence that 2e expansions will be coming. We can speculate that some or all of the same content that you can bring over from 1e will be getting a re-release in a 2e box, because that has happened with Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will probably be more inclined to cannibalize 2E components to use with custom 1E scenarios. It just seems 1E has more meat and easier to create custom content. Also, playing the keeper is loads of fun. 2E will be great when playing by myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the expansions are crazy high. The base isn't, and serves as a pretty meaty expansion to 2nd edition. So you could get both :) See which one you like better. If you like 2nd, you'll have a big box expansion. Like 1st, well be easy to flip on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
While the expansions are crazy high. The base isn't, and serves as a pretty meaty expansion to 2nd edition. So you could get both See which one you like better. If you like 2nd, you'll have a big box expansion. Like 1st, well be easy to flip on here.

This is what I'm doing. I had a complete 1E collection (minus a few print-on-demand expansions) that I sold a couple of years ago, but I found a copy of 1E for $40 that I'm reacquiring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llessur Nosnikliw
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
While the expansions are crazy high. The base isn't, and serves as a pretty meaty expansion to 2nd edition. So you could get both See which one you like better. If you like 2nd, you'll have a big box expansion. Like 1st, well be easy to flip on here.

Up around the Utah area I have found a couple copies of the small box expansion from 1st Edition (one store had it marked 20% off MSRP and the other 10% off MSRP) -- one of the stores specializes in a stock of out of print/older games (it is like a maze to move through honestly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the expansions will depend on how many copies of MOM 2nd edition the company sells. At the price they are selling at, I'm not sure they will be selling that many copies, so who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
grahamj wrote:
I guess the expansions will depend on how many copies of MOM 2nd edition the company sells. At the price they are selling at, I'm not sure they will be selling that many copies, so who knows.

Dude, stop it. It's getting redundant. We got it, it's too expensive for you. For others it's not. I'm by no means rich, but I have a solid job and can afford a big game like this for the MSRP. It's not cheap, but it doesn't hurt me either, as I don't have to by a new epic boardgame every month or so. This will get played a lot, so the money is well spent. Buy it or leave it, but don't be a crybaby all over the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exilfranke wrote:
grahamj wrote:

Dude, stop it. It's getting redundant. We got it, it's too expensive for you. For others it's not. I'm by no means rich, but I have a solid job and can afford a big game like this for the MSRP. It's not cheap, but it doesn't hurt me either, as I don't have to by a new epic boardgame every month or so. This will get played a lot, so the money is well spent. Buy it or leave it, but don't be a crybaby all over the board.

I sold some lesser played gamed to pick up this and a copy of 1E for variety. My game group is super excited, but it cost me nothing out-of-pocket. Game auctions are your friend, people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I also think it's too expensive. On top of that I recently traded my MoM1E away because I thought it a stinker. So I am definitely not going to buy 2nd Edition!

Or so I thought. This morning I could no longer resist Cthulhu's call and ordered it. Because I'm spineless. Because I'm a wimp. And FFG knew it.

Damn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.