Hide
6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Minimum cards for customised deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pádraic Kudu
msg tools
The rulebook seems to indicate a minimum of fifty cards if you're going to customise your deck, even a little bit. But this seems to be unclear. Is there an official ruling? I'm not looking to play in a tournament but would definitely like to customise my deck using the core set (nearly defeated Anduin on first attempt with two players playing Lore and Tactcis, but just fell short). Can we have decks of thirty or forty cards, for example, mixing various heroes and spheres of influence, or is fifty the accepted/strict minimum? Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's for organized play. So if you are playing with other people they will expect you to conform to the restriction. If you are playing casually at home there is no reason force yourself to 50. Especially in the early life of the game many people played with smaller decks due to the size of the card pool at the time.

That said I'm pretty sure quest decks are always tested against a standard 50 card deck so if you want the optimal play experience you should aim to get to the minimum deck size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
50 is the official minimum size. Just disregard the term "tournament deck" and replace it with "custom deck".

But, if you are just starting out, there is no reason to force yourself to play with 50 card decks, especially if you do not have that many cards, yet.

Later on, 50 card minimum is no problem (it is harder to actually get "only" 50 cards in the deck ).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a look over at Beorn's Path, he builds a sample deck of 40 cards from just the core deck. Have a look.
https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/beorns-path-par...

If, like me, you are new to the whole concept it will give you a lot of insight into deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
50 is the official minimum size. Just disregard the term "tournament deck" and replace it with "custom deck".

But, if you are just starting out, there is no reason to force yourself to play with 50 card decks, especially if you do not have that many cards, yet.

Later on, 50 card minimum is no problem (it is harder to actually get "only" 50 cards in the deck ).

Bye
Thanee
agreed with this.

the 30-card monosphere + 1 Gandalf decks are great at the start, and when you start customising, keeping it at 30 is still probably ideal.

'tournament' deck rules are as follows:
between 1 and 3 heroes
at least 50 cards
no more than 3 of any card *by name

and that's it.

*for example, there are two different Gandalf allies. you can mix and match which Gandalfs are in your deck and include both, but you can only have up to 3 total between them.
heroes don't count against this, but you also can't have more than one of the same hero by name, but neither can anyone else at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:

*for example, there are two different Gandalf allies. you can mix and match which Gandalfs are in your deck and include both, but you can only have up to 3 total between them.
heroes don't count against this, but you also can't have more than one of the same hero by name, but neither can anyone else at the table.

To be more specific, you can't have more than one copy of ANY unique card* in play at once, and the rule goes by the card's name, not its type. So, for example, in later expansions there's also a Gandalf hero card. If someone is using the Gandalf hero, nobody is allowed to play a Gandalf ally as long as the hero is in play. If the Gandalf hero ever gets discarded, though, then any Gandalf allies that might be in someone's hand will become legal to play again. (This is why the Gandalf hero is often unpopular in multi-player scenarios, because if I use the hero version of Gandalf, I've blocked you from using one of the most powerful allies in the game, even though you probably put three copies of him into your deck).

* Unique cards have the little "dot" symbol next to the card's name. Look at any hero card, or named allies like Gandalf, and you'll see the symbol I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.