Subject: Why no insert? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Leeson
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I get that tiles need to be shuffled up each game and everything, but I was astonished to see that there's zero insert of any kind for storing the tiles between games.

There are a LOT of tiles; a plastic insert with trays to hold the tiles in stacks would have gone a LONG way here. I punched them all out and then couldn't get the lid back on until I spent 20 minutes carefully organizing the tiles into stacks that will undoubtedly slide all over the place the first time I try to transport the game to go play it.

I've seen some games with bad inserts before. And there have been more games than I can count where I wished that designers were forced to include some kind of a diagram showing how they believe their insert to work, because I'll be damned if I can puzzle out how the game contents are supposed to fit in the insert provided.

But I have to admit I was a little dismayed to order the Special Edition of the game and pop it open to find out it was just going to be tilegeddon once everything was punched out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep all of the small tiles in a Crown Royal bag in the box. It cushions the double tiles too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
The insert proposition is difficult. I keep my smaller tiles in a big bag. The larger tiles will need a bag, they are in baggies. I likely would have tossed any insert it came with. I have found very very few that meet my needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
An insert might have been nice, but you would have needed a bigger box and I'm honestly happy to keep it in the small box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you look at the thickness of all the punchboards that came in the original box, there wouldn't have been much room for an insert at all!

I just took this picture of the box (standard edition) after taking the shrink off - there's only about 2.5cm of height between the rulebook and the top of the box, not including the thickness of the cards, tokens or baggies included.

If you put all the single tiles in the large bag provided, you can fit them lying in the box with a small bit of effort. Yes, you can't just throw them all in - but I guess a larger box would have been either a) a waste of space or b) cause to put the price point up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
I keep all of the small tiles in a Crown Royal bag in the box. It cushions the double tiles too.
This ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just keep the tiles in 9 stacks with the duplex tiles in an additional two stacks beside the 3x3 grid of tiles, the cards and city tokens in medium baggies beside them, the scoreboard and rules on top. Fits pretty nicely that way, and stays put as long as you're not storing vertically. Doesn't get too messed up in travel, even...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I just keep the single tiles in a jumbled pile at the bottom of the box, keep the doubles in a ziploc in stacks of three, and then put the cards and other bits around it, with the rules on top. Then, when we start to play, we can just draw right out of the box. Super easy for both set up and take down. But yes, difficult to store vertically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:

Plus you have the added pleasure of having to empty the Crown Royal bag in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.