Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(...sorry, cranky_hobbit!)

Yeah, I would also like to see some solo play included in this latest DOOM.

But! It strikes me that the thing that makes DOOM DOOM and different from the rest of its one vs. many offspring (Descent, IA, MoM, etc.) is that--if it's to follow the video game series it's ostensibly based on--it really should have a marine vs. marine deathmatch mode.

Given the popularity of FPSs, I'm surprised there aren't a lot more cardboard equivalents out there. There's always the classic Wiz-War, and CGE is currently playtesting the intriguing Adrenaline...and I suppose you could even bring in the arena combat games like Krosmaster or Mage Wars here too.

But DOOM, at least back in the early days, was always just as much about racking up frags in the multiplayer smackdown as it was about the single player campaign sunjecting you to hellspawn jumping out of the dark.

Obviously, we'll have to wait for the rules to be released (as FFG does love to throw a crazy variant or two in their rulesets)--but I for one would be a lot more likely to invest in DOOM if there were a robust, quick-playing and fun all vs. all mode. Or two (don't forget about Capture the Flag, Domination, King of the Hill, etc...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm...The original Doom games didn't have a death match to them, and if I remember correctly neither did the books.

Just some thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
marwan_marwan wrote:
Hmmmm...The original Doom games didn't have a death match to them, and if I remember correctly neither did the books.

Just some thoughts

I thought they did. Of course I may be thinking of Doom2.
And I am fairly certain the board game did have death match.

And I hope they don't waste any R&D time on solo modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see death match modes (plural) come in thoughtfully and inventively designed expansions. Something that will really expand and switch up the game play of the core game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the DOOM expansion game did include a Deathmatch / CTF option?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/905302/how-deathmatch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marwan_marwan wrote:

Just some thoughts

The first Doom video game most assuredly did have deathmatch--I remember it distinctly bringing down my university's nascent local network.

My understanding (as zombiewarrior07 states) was the the Doom boardgame expansion included a deathmatch mode, but not the base game.

...and I certainly hope any Doom books did not have deathmatch! (I'm assuming you meant boardgames there.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexblair .
Malaysia
Desa Petaling
W.P.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Doom/d...

expansion rulesbook, deathmatch rule on page6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hehehehehehehehehe...I meant that the books didn't have marines fighting other marines. The books were terrible. Don't try to find them.

Invictus5000 wrote:
...and I certainly hope any Doom books did not have deathmatch! (I'm assuming you meant boardgames there.)

I stand corrected, Doom did support multiplayer:
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Multiplayer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.