BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Generic Chess Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Burnett
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
My design partner and I are creating a card game that may very well require us to sell with a chess set.

The problem I'm running into is- what is the cheapest and easiest way to acquire chess sets for mass re-sale?

I'm aware the game of chess itself has no rights attached to it, but it's not like I can purchase cheap chess sets being sold by another company and re-sell them.

What is the solution?

By the way- if anyone is interested in the actual game itself we have an incredibly rudimentary website up:

www.ageofalliances.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSixofClubs wrote:
it's not like I can purchase cheap chess sets being sold by another company and re-sell them.

Technically you could; the first-sale doctrine says that once you've purchased a particular copy you can do whatever you want with it, including reselling it. Trying to re-sell games that you purchased at retail prices is probably economically infeasible, though; you'd need to work out a deal to purchase them cheaply and in bulk.

First off: can you simply sell a version of your game that requires that the customer already own a chess set? Lots of "chess-plus-extras" games, such as Knightmare Chess, have taken this approach. Many of your potential customers probably already have chess sets, and those that don't are free to purchase whichever one they prefer from anyone who sells them, so if your game simply needs for the players to have a chess set, this is probably a good option.

If your needs are a little more specific (for instance, if you need specific sizes or shapes of chess pieces to connect with some other pieces in your game), but it's still essentially a standard chess set, then I would try to contact some of the manufacturers who originally produce the chess pieces. I've never had occasion to investigate this specifically, but since cheap chess sets in multiple styles seem to be quite common, I would imagine there are many such manufacturers around the world who would be capable of producing those pieces for you cheaply and in quantity. I imagine there will be some additional costs involved in packing them together with whatever other pieces your game needs, so I wouldn't expect to sell your game for $3 in stores, but I bet this would still be reasonably economical.

Alternately, if your game has a lot of pieces that you wouldn't find in a standard Chess set and it's not critical that you have the traditional free-standing 3D chess shapes, you can just make up some new pieces of your own and use them for whatever you were going to use the chess set for. That's essentially what happened with my game For the Crown, which includes the 6 standard chess pieces but also a couple dozen kinds of non-standard pieces, so it just represents them all with cardboard counters with various images and text printed on them. (This also let us make them reversible, with a "white" piece on one side and a "black" piece on the other side.) This might work best if the chess set is a relatively small part of your overall game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Burnett
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Our game can absolutely be played with an already owned chess set, much like Knightmare Chess.

Inquiring about the resale of a chess set is just an option to explore that we are attempting to price out.

Thank you so much for your info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSixofClubs wrote:

By the way- if anyone is interested in the actual game itself we have an incredibly rudimentary website up:

www.ageofalliances.com

I'd suggest adding some detail on how the game plays to the site, including the core mechanics. The only information I could find is thematic text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Burnett
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
That's all that is there for now- It was honestly just set up by our Word Press friend as a teaching aid so she can show us how to add stuff ourselves.

More information and graphics/pictures will be added ASAP- keep checking back if you're interested or follow our link to our Facebook page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSixofClubs wrote:
Our game can absolutely be played with an already owned chess set, much like Knightmare Chess.

Inquiring about the resale of a chess set is just an option to explore that we are attempting to price out.

Thank you so much for your info.

Note that you cant sell someone elses product as part of your product commercially without permission.

But more importantly. Buying and re-selling a chess set will lose you money. 1: No one is going to pay 20$ for a game with a 5$ set in it. Or if they do they may soon after be calling for a refund. And 2: you can get the same parts for far cheaper by going direct to the manufacturer. Otherwise you lose money for each stage up to retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be inclined to have the chess set included as part of your game as "just another component"

You could try to write to a company that's already mass producing sets and see if they'll do you a deal on (say) 1000 sets. It might work out that their markup plus what it costs them to make 1000 sets (bearing in mind they're already mass producing sets) works out to be less than what it'd costs you to make 1000 sets.

I wouldn't bet on it though and it's several extra layers of complexity and things to go wrong in your process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.