Subject: Blood at the Watering Hole. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Clark Jr
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to hunt down a copy of this and get it to the table last night for a 3 player game with my wife and 8 year old son. Crystal and I have played Evolution a few times and this one caught my eye as a lighter version that our son Donovan might like.

The rules explanation went fairly quickly and we were off.

For the first round everyone was nice and friendly. I created a fast, flying herbivore just to show how everything goes together. I kept my carnivore card in hand, for now. Donovan's first species was a flying fertile scavenger while Crystal built a burrowing nocturnal scavenger. Everyone had enough food to feed all of their species and all was peaceful.

The next round I made my first species a carnivore and then had it eat my brand new species to show how that worked. Because of their scavenger abilities they were both able to feed and I think that may have lulled them to the danger among them. Both of them spent their turn building up a second species and adding population to the ones they already had, giving my carnivore something to hunt when it came back around for me.

I'll admit that for this first game I wanted to go a little easy on Donovan. The only problem was that I had yet to draw a nocturnal trait and couldn't attack either of Crystal's creatures. I killed a member of Donovan's first species, which he didn't appreciate, and the war began. On his turn his scavenger decided that it liked the taste of meat and became a carnivore on the hunt. He killed off my second species and between murder and scavenging was able to feed all of his creatures. Crystal's night creatures saw this and decided it was time to adapt, after scavenging some food one burrowed back into it's den while the other grew horns and a long neck to fend off these new threats.

Donovan and I went back and forth for a few rounds, killing each other's creatures, until I was finally able to pounce on one of Crystal's new species without any traits. That's when Donovan realized that he had more, less dangerous, options available and could get to her nocturnal creatures. The one in it's burrow was still safe, the long neck with the horns was going to get it's pound of flesh if he attacked it, but a new nocturnal species had shown up that was ripe for the picking and thought itself safe because I couldn't get to it. Donovan adapted one of his to hunt this new species, it went extinct, and Crystal went to work on making sure that we couldn't as easily get through to her creatures.

Except for one odd day walking long necked burrowing carnivore, that mainly stayed to itself because it was full all the time and neither me nor Donovan could dig it out of it's burrow, Crystal kept her creatures as nocturnal herbivores. That first carnivore of mine had to stop flying and become a lot more fertile in the constant fights with Donovan's carnivores. My other two surviving creatures found their own ways to handle him; one grew a long neck with horns while the other burrowed down and started storing food in it's fat tissues, scavenging where it could.

I ended up winning in the end, Crystal came in second, with Donovan at a close third. He was 2 points short of tying with her.

We all had a lot of fun and Donovan was wanting to play it again at some point. I would have gone for another round right then but both of them were wanting to watch The Martian so we decided to stop making creatures and go watch Matt Damon try and make it off of Mars instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.